Smith 380

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by SmithKid308, Jul 20, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Ok I own a smith 380 bodyguard and it's at 100%. I have only shot 8 rounds thew it and am looking to carry it is there any suggestions that are the same caliber and just as good or better the reason I dont like it is because it is single and double action I would prefer only single action

2. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

SmithKid,

You may want to look into the Kahr P-380 which is double action all the time but very smooth. It is not the least expensive little pocket gun but when you are carrying it for CCW and personal protection quality counts. It is also a high quality built pistol. I am sending some pictures below for review. It is also a very accurate with it's 2" barrel. I did put Magazine Extensions on the Magazines since I can not stand for my pinky finger hang over the bottom of a grip. And the target was fired off hand at 7 Yards with Federal 90 grain Hydra-Shock rounds. Fed flawlessly even though it was the first time on the range.

Attached Files:

3. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Thanks may try one out

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If its use is a carry gun i would NOT recommend a SA only :confused:
    Unless its a 1911 of course :rolleyes:

5. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Why not a SA only it's for close range like 15 yards tops

6. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Because it's a lot easier to pull the trigger. You would highly increase the risk of an ND.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I don't quite understand what you're asking. I have an S&W Bodyguard 380 in my pocket right now. It's double-action only like most of the other 380's on the market. The Sig is the only single action only 380 I'm aware of being produced right now.

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

So then carrying a 1911 is not smart? Carrying a DAO is fdine if that's your preference but you can not possibly say that carrying a SAO weapon is less safe.

9. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Well, a 1911 has a manual safety. I don't of any .380s with a manual safety, not there's much room for one in such a tight package. Thus why I assume most are DAO. I wasn't even aware that the Sig was SAO. I'll have to look at that.

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

My Bersa had one

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Don't assume someone is dissing 1911's by discouraging the purchase of a S/A .380. A single action pistol should be carried in a secure holster, not dropped in a pocket (If you are opting for the preferred Condition 1 carry mode). Carrying a 1911 in Condition 1 and in a holster is perfectly safe. For a utility/BUG/pocket pistol, I would prefer a DAO.

12. ScottA

The Sig has a manual safety as does my S&W, although it really doesn't need one with its long DAO trigger.

13. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Try a Jimenez Arms 380.:eek:
    [​IMG]

14. group17

group17 New Member

And it's DA/SA which i prefer to DAO.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  15. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Ah, there lies the problem. I wasn't aware and it seems I've gotten my foot caught in my mouth. I was operating under the assumption of SAO with no manual safety.

As long as there's a manual safety and it's a SAO then I don't see an issue at all.

16. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

i bought a walther pk380 for my wife and she loves it. she has smaller hands and can shoot it comfortably but it also fits my hands pretty well. it has a pretty slim profile and i have carried it a few times myself and its comfortable. its light weight. 8 round magazine. single and double action trigger. not too big and not too small. i have had a problem with it not firing the round the first time the hammer strikes tho.

walther_pk380_02.jpg

17. ScottA

That's kind of important.

18. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

its only happened three times and i think it is the ammo. there is always two hammer strikes on the primer. ive been buying the cheapest ammo possible because we are just shooting paper targets but for home defense i got my wife glaser safety slugs.