Smith 38

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by bigdaddyjeff, Feb 7, 2013.

1. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

I just put a down payment on a smith and wesson .38. What do yall think about this

2. shouldazagged

shouldazagged New Member

What model? New or used? Condition, if used? What will it be used for? Home defense? Concealed carry? Recreational shooting?

Smith & Wesson has a long history of making fine revolvers, especially in .38 Special. You probably can't go too far wrong, but it would help if we had more information.

3. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

What he said. plus how much are you paying for it? could you have gotten a nice .357 mag for the same price? Two ammo choices is always better than one I say. Do you have a pic of it?

4. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

The thing is i wanted a .357 and i will get one, one day I want a sp 101. That is another thread though. It is a smith and wesson model 37 .38 special. I got it for my rugar p95 plus 350.00 i dont think its that bad but im trying to get some othe opinions on it.

5. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

Oh yeah its not for me, Its for my fiance for valentines day. I needed a simple gun that doesnt take alot to make fire ( just squeeze the trigger lol). Was this a good choice.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Did she indicate that is what she wanted?

I bought the wife some shoes once, and she still has not worn them.
    Same thing happened when I bought her a home brew beer kit.

IMO, she should select the firearm. She is apt to use the one she selected.

7. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

I agree 100 percent she has held a few and she likes the smaller ones like this one. The one she picked out was pink and she picked it out for that reason. So im getting this as a suprise if she doesn't like it looks like i got a new gun and ill try again with her with me. I was really wondering wat yall thought about the gun though.

8. robertusa123

robertusa123 New Member

i just inharted a airweight chief special more or less the same nice little shooter

9. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

Im ready to get it and shoot it iv never shot a 38 i shoot 45 mostly. Im ready for her to see it too.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Keep the ammo light with that Model 37. It is a lighweight gun, and will bark at you if you run hot loads thru it. Wadcutters do quite well, but hot JHPs and your hand will hurt.

11. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

Ok will do sir I'm most likely going to just buy home defence rounds and leave it at that. What is a "hot round" i read that all the time but am very unclear on it?

12. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Your "hot round" is normally in the +P category.

If you start with "target" loads, you should be okay.

On the gun itself. You can never go wrong with a S&W. Good luck!

13. Colby

Colby New Member

Model 37 is a little heavier than the Smith Airweights - so will have a little softer kick than those guns.
    A revolver is a good choice for a new shooter due to its simplicity and reliability. I couldn't tell by your writing if she had used one or not. It is good to let the shooter select - but if not - a revolver is a simple and excellent choice.

I hope the recoil is not too much for her. I own an Airweight - same basic gun but lighter due to lighter materials. It has a substantial kick - as a 38 Special. I also have a larger Smith model 14 - 38 Special - which is more pleasant to shoot - it is heavier.
    Small is good - for carry or conceal - but kicks more. Larger is softer shooting - but bulkier and heavier.
    There is no perfect gun.
    I think you did well.

14. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

Thanks for yalls input she has shot a couple guns and she handled my buddies .357 like a champ. We r gunna go to the range as soon as we bring the gun home.

15. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 New Member

Wow!!!

I don't know your location, but around here, the older model 37's in average(carried/fired/some wear) go for $300-$325.00.:confused:

So-to ME-it seems like you gave around $50.00 too much-AND-A Ruger P95 to them for FREE??:p

I have an older model 37 Blued. At a local gun show a dealer offered my friend $180.00 in trade for another new pistol. I gave my friend $190.00 cash and was very happy with the deal. This Model 37 is As New, and over 40 years old. I have seen similuar (a little rougher) go for $325-$350.00 at gun shows...Bill.:)

16. cgersty

cgersty New Member

I picked up my first snubbie and first revolver superbowl Sunday, its sw model 60 no dash chiefs special in 38 special.

image.jpg

17. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

That looks really good im digging the chrome and black. When i put this up on here i had just put the sw on layaway. When i went up there yesturday they had a 2" sp 101 so i got that one instead.

18. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Thanks its actually stainless steel, I'm gonna polish it to a mirror shine whenever I get around to it.

19. bigdaddyjeff

bigdaddyjeff New Member

Yeah thats what i was thing but i figure chrome would cover that finish lol.

20. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Lol, let's see some pics of your newest one!