Smith 36 half cocked?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by tCan, Apr 1, 2016.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

Is this "half cocked" position normal for the 36 or do I have a problem? It doesn't do it every time and never gets caught when actually shooting, only when I let the hammer down slowly.

Attached Files:

2. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have a pre 36 and it does not go to half cock. There is a part that blocks the non cocked hammer from discharging the pistol if dropped on the hammer. This may be interfering. Just guessing. Take it to a gunsmith.

3. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Your S&W Mdl. 36 double action does not have a half cock position. The transfer bar is not causing a problem. I would try flushing the action with a cleaner. It maybe your revolver is out of time. If it is it will eventually lock up during the firing cycle. You will need the services of qualified revolver shop. :)

4. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

No 1/2 cock on a S&W....

Get yourself @ GoodWill a pan just large enough to hold your Model 36. Remove your grips.
    Cover in Diesel Fuel overnight/couple of days.

Operate action a couple hundred times in Single + Double action..

Will probably be as good as new..Bill.:shooting:

5. CaptMidnight

Diesel Fuel leaves a heavy residue and must be removed with a solvent. There are many modern Action Blasters that are of low viscosity an active solvents that dry quickly with zero petroleum residue. They can also be used without stripping the action.
    Handgun action shooters such IPSC can run hundreds of rounds. The guns can be flushed in minutes and back in action. :)

6. tCan

tCan Active Member

I did pick this up secondhand so maybe it just needs to be cleaned.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

tcan

I would suggest you take to a gun shop that has a competent armorer. So they can take the side plate off of it, clean and inspect all the parts. It could be Jack the Hack has been trying to do a Trigger job on the revolver. That is my bet! Jack can easily Sc** up a good gun.
    The good news is it normally is an easy fix. But the gun does not have a half cock!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  8. pmanton

pmanton Member

there is a Smith & Wesson forum with some real experts there.

9. CaptMidnight

Thanks for your support of the S&W Forum. I have been over there for may years. :)

10. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Some agreement here, some not..
    Diesel fuel will also "Creep" into areas (when submerged) that other "Blasters" will not get into. Diesel has enough lube qualities not to gum up any action.

After the OP gets this Smith back to working in correct order (By working many dozens of times.) light lube may be added.

This method will work, does not cost much, and does not require a gunsmith..Bill.