Smashing 'New' Rifle

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by UKShootist, Aug 6, 2012.

1. UKShootist

UKShootist New Member

Well, new to me. A Marlin Golden 39A .22rf made in 1967. What a little gem this rifle is. While not as accurate as a good bolt action target rifle, it's damned close. The action is smooth as snot on a wet floor, and the rifle feels, well, just right to hold. Spares seem readily available, even in the gun deprived UK. It cycles anything (so far) and seems to retain accuracy with most varieties of ammunition Likes SK very much. most importantly, it's fun.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

UK, I have a few of these- including the one that Mom bought Dad for their first anniversary. My grandchildren are shooting it nowadays. Honest steel machinings and forgings, and solid walnut.

They were never intended as target rifles, but they make damned fine hunting rifles, being perfect medicine for squirrels and rabbits. The only drawback is the price. Like the SMLEs, the things will last forever.

3. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Congratulations! great little rifle an American Classic should be fun.

4. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

I think all .22lrs like sk and wolf ammo. Squirrels don't like them at all. Glad you have a great shooter. Can't beat a 22 from pure ole fun or for a bit of extra meat for the pot.

5. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Ahem...
    [​IMG]

Annie Oakley would dispute that "not as accurate" claim...were she still breathing ;)

Typically, the Marlin 39-series is capable of more accuracy than the average shooter ;)