Smartphone / iPhone / iPad Access ??

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by Dillinger, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hey you guys - I am looking for some help. I was checking out a guys iPad from work, so naturally you check that stuff by hitting the forum, right? :p

I was able to read everything fine, I was able to do all my normal Mod stuff ( moving threads, joining threads, approving new posts ) but when I went to reply to either PM's or a thread, I was not able to type in any field other than the TITLE block.

Is it a setting on the iPad that needs to be changed? Or what? I was using a google application to find the forum, so I don't know if that was the problem?

Hackers?? You got any tips? The lady and I are thinking about getting an iPad for the trip to stay in touch with things instead of packing a laptop.

Thanks,

JD

2. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

I have an HP iPAQ 211 that I have been using for ex-bal software at range and just got it hooked up to the webs and it does that same thing that JD is having problems with. I have Windows 7 Ultimate at home PC and it won't sync any apps.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Not sure about the IPad, Chief, but my Evo lets me PM and do everything else I can do from my computer.

I'm thinking it might be some kind of pop up blocker?

4. GrumpyPine

GrumpyPine New Member

I checked it out on my iPhone in both the Safari browser and the Google search app that you were probably using and I didn't run into any problems with the web forms- and the browser is identical between iPhone and iPad.

I noticed that there is some script running when you give focus to the main text field for messages. It looks like part of the YUI framework from Yahoo. I don't know if that's a normal part of the forum software/vBulletin. It may be causing the browser to hang for some reason. I know that a lot of the main "rich" text editors for forums and blog software don't say they specifically support apple mobile devices yet (such as TinyMCE, a popular rich text editor for the web.. I don't think vBulletin uses it though).

I checked the vBulletin forums and saw some posts regarding mobile-platform specific skins, have you guys considered loading one up for when users on mobile devices visit?

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

*bump* in case there is any additional info. The lady has ordered herself an iPad, so I will have to check these options out and see if I can get on line.

If I can, I will probably be checking in from the beach in Mexico. :D

Thanks in advance!

6. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I would wait and go for this one.

ARCHOS

Why go Apple and be stuck with itunes? and everything else apple FORCES on you all the time.

7. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

So to be clear you can click on title and type but when you click on message it won't allow you to type?

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes. That is correct. I can edit any title, or I can respond to any PM by writing in the title block - but I can not add any text to the Message section.

9. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

I am not sure about the ipad, as i have not used one myself, BUT i will tell you that when i had my web design firm, i developed a software suite that used what they call a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor (which is kind of like what we use here to post our messages). Mine allowed our clients to update their websites in a very easy way. There were several problems along the way with different browsers that could not operate different features. Basically the text area that we reply into is a very small and related kind of thing. Where as the title box is probably just a regular text box. We NEVER had any issues with anyone being able to type into the text boxes (as they are kind of a basic building block in web design that is pretty tried and true). We suggested, to our users that had issues, to try using internet explorer (im sure not what a mac person likes to hear). I cant remember off the top of my head right now, but we did discover a few things that would not allow our clients to do what they wanted to via safari. I have also read that there are similar issues people are running into with safari. One person suggested using a iCad (i have never used it, and dont know much about it), but he was having the same issue, and iCad took care of it, and people say that it really has a lot of great features that makes them like it better than safari. My first suggestion would be to go with internet explorer when needing to access the forum (Not even sure if you can run it on an ipad, i know the word has been "NO" in the past, but i have heard of a company that developed a work around that lets you run internet explorer on an ipad, but i don't know how easy it would be). I would be surprised it it is the forum, probably just the browser you were using cant support some feature in our editor. Let me know if you have any more questions, or if i rambled too much... well that will be a given... i guess if i was not clear.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  10. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

Even FireFox had trouble with some of the features that we wanted to give, but i use it all the time now (at this forum included, and the issue were few and far between.). So that may be another option to try. I dont know what software the ipad does or does not support.

EDIT: People are pushing for it, but does NOT look like FireFox will be on the iPad anytime soon - most think never - but i learned to never say never in this industry.

11. theferg2000

theferg2000 New Member

One more quick thought. At the top right corner of the quick reply box(that is how my computer screen shows it anyway) there is a button that will change the message area editor mode to a mode called HTML only. It is not as pretty as the other mode, but that may also work, as most of the issues are from the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) features. Those WYSIWYG features are basically like when you highlight text and click bold, or change a text color, etc it makes the text look the way you wanted to change it, and the theory is that the changes you make and see, should be the exactly what everyone else sees (brilliant huh?). But that still may not fix whatever issue it is having. I can look it up, and i bet i can tell you exactly what the issue is, as i remember that we did track down the "why" safari and other apple software had issues - just too much time and problems in between to pull it out of my memory.

Here are a couple of good articles, the first seems to follow your experience pretty close, if i understood it all right.
    http://learnbythedrop.com/drop/165
    http://gigaom.com/mobile/icab-mobile-review-better-ipad-browsing/