Smart Gun company buying Remington

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by ScottA, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

2. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You never know, it might be the best thing that could happen for Remington. There other brands, Bushmaster, DPMS and Marlin have all been rather lackluster in recent years and the Freedom Group IPO was pulled in 2009 due to disinterest. It's possible that a new company with new technology could breathe new life into the brands and the industry. Since Remington is the only gun manufacturer that also produces ammunition, we might see some new life coming to ammo production as well.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Isn't Hornady an ammunition manufacturer that makes a few custom rifles (or sources them)? Just a random semi related thought.

Really, this could be a good thing for Remington. I have my first Remington, just got it a couple of days ago, so I don't have much experience with them, but I've seen consumer reviews on many of their products and subsidiaries plummeting.

4. FAS1

FAS1 Member

Smart Gun Technology = decrease in sales in my opinion. If you buy their products you will have a hand in advancing this technology. Not for me, so I will choose other brands from now on.

5. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

I know Nosler makes a couple semi-custom high end rifles.

6. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I couldn't buy a gun equipped with a electronic lock or a GPS installed in it. I guess as a consumer I am supposed to pay for this stuff I don't want.

Soldiers really need a gun they cannot fire without permission from an office.

7. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Remington, like Winchester and Colt, have made themselves obsolescent by failing to keep up with "progress". When the market for lever action rifles, as great as they are, and single action revolvers at $2500 apiece began to fade away, they should have followed industry trends, and made affordable state of the art handguns, rifles, etc. Granted, there were some pretty good military rifles, but there is presently, and has been for 5 years or so, a large market for personal defense weapons. Colt used to have a few semiautos, but the Delta Elite was overpriced for what it could do, and faded away. Remington has recently come out with some 1911 models. I hope it will save their bacon.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  8. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

GDSI, a company with an estimated value of +/- $50M is attempting to purchase a company with an estimated value of $1.5B. It will never happen.

GDSI is an ex beauty supply company and has a office here in West Palm :)

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ah! That's the one I was thinking of.

10. AIKIJUTSU

AIKIJUTSU New Member

Well, so much for that.

11. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Bingo. Colt tried to keep living off of revolvers and 1911s. No modern handguns. They wouldn't even try to compete with successful companies like SIG, Glock, Beretta, etc.

A good single stack, thin, polymer frame double action 10MM (full power) with no external safeties would have been a good seller. An updated AR-15 type rifle, with a top mounted 50 round mag (similar to the PS-90) and light weight than a standard AR-15, would be a good seller for any of them.

Remington could offer an updated version of the delightful little M-1 carbine in 5.7X28 with a top mount 50 round mag and side folding stock.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

I would buy any of these! I believe the mag you're talking about is called a Helical mag. Has something to do with the rounds rotating out of it I believe. The Calicos use the same type, or something similar.

13. bigjim

bigjim New Member

It could happen, it has in the past were smaller companies have purchased larger ones, but the bond debt will be huge. They would then in turn sell off the Brands that are less profitable, I could see Bushmaster Brand Name being sold back to the Windham Weaponry people and Marlin to Henry or Mossberg, and maybe DMPS to Colt.

In today's crazy world anything is possible.
    Jim

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

*ahem*

I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I am making a bid for the acquisition of Cascade Cartridge Industries, better known as CCI.

CCI has established an incredible reputation in the manufacture of high quality rimfire ammo. However, the ongoing unprecedented high demand for rimfire ammo has resulted in an un-met market. I plan an infusion of capital to allow the construction of an additional manufacturing facility to be located in a gun friendly state.

Those that would like to join me in this endeavor will have the opportunity to receive their stock dividend payments in the form of boxes of CCI .22 LR ammo. We will accept checks, money order, cash, precious metals and livestock. No more nubile maidens until we get the FBI out of here (Still investigating the last dust-up we had).

At the present my available funds that I can offer CCI are limited to $3 in cash, whatever change is under the car seat, and a coupon for a 2-for-1 at Smokey Joes. But I have some excellent negotiating skills, and am confident that an agreement can be reached.

After that, I plan to begin a campaign to require that all politicians prove their IQ is greater than room temperature.

:D:rolleyes:;):):):p

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  15. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Actually, the P90 and PS90 use a magazine with a spiral feed ramp. The magazine is a double stack that narrows to single and then the round is spun 90 degrees to feed the firearm. The Calico magazine is truly helical, with the rounds loading flat in a spiral manner around the center core of the magazine. The helical system can hold more rounds, but is much heavier and takes up more space than the FN solution.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Learning something new every day.

17. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

I am in for 2 dollars and 17 cents plus a couple of overactive barn cats. I am also willing to store the nubile maidens until the FBI leaves.