Smallest caliber you trust?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by luckyj, Sep 21, 2012.

1. luckyj

luckyj New Member

image-155540804.jpg

Couldn't resist

2. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

HA! I wouldn't trust a .32 against a bear, but IMO, a few well placed .32 rounds could thwart a BG..

3. gollygee

gollygee New Member

I prefer at least .380, but I bet a .32 will hurt! :)

4. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The smallest I carry will always be .45 ACP.

6. gunsmoke11

gunsmoke11 New Member

When I have to carry small I've carried my NAA .32 for years and use Federal Hydra Shok ammo in all my carry guns. Many rounds of fmj have been put through it without so much as a hickup. Sometimes you just have to make things do. Nothing wrong with carrying a boot knife for additional insurance.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. OldEagleEars

OldEagleEars New Member

My current carry-gun is a Smith Bodyguard in .380 ACP. It is a truly tiny gun but with Hornaday PDX ammo in the mag (and in the spout) it seems a truly capable CQB pistol. IMO the point of a carry gun is to put sufficient ROT (Rounds On Target) to eliminate the threat, especially in confrontations within 3 meters of the shooter. I would love to carry a .45 ACP or .40 S&W to any potential gunfight but even the smallest pistols taking those rounds are monsters compared to the BG-380 and effectively firing midget big-bores is an iffy proposition. Nine-millimeter is a more viable option (my son carries a Ruger LC9) but size and weight still limit them. My purpose in concealed-carrying is to do my business in a normal fashion with a pistol available for defense, not carrying a pistol and trying to do my business around it. I wish to be a man carrying a gun rather than a gun with a man attached to carry it places. If the unwanted event comes and my little Bodyguard proves too small I will admit my error, but my attacker will still be trying to stuff his innards back into the holes my little hollow-points made!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  8. 75370

75370 New Member

My .45 Detonics, it holds 7rds., 6 in the mag and 1 up the pipe.
    It's at the bottom of the pic.
    And as you can see it's small, less than the size of my hand

[​IMG]

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I wouldnt feel undergunned with a 22LR if thats what I had...

10. 75370

75370 New Member

One of my best friends in High School was attacked by his Stepfather with an axe, right after the Stepfather had killed and dismembered his mother. my friend went to his bedroom, where he had a .22 rifle.
    It was a tube fed Mossberg, I believe. It held a lot of rounds, 16, 17 maybe?
    The Stepfather eventually broke through the door and came at him with the axe.
    He fired the best he could and eventually saved his life with that .22.
    He was never the same, PTSD is a *****.

11. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

actually the smallest would be a 380 Auto. quite possibly a 22 could deflect off her kneecap leaving you to deal with the bear rather than her!

12. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Funnier than hell! Kinda a variation of the one where two guys are faced off by an angry bear and one says run, the other says, you cant outrun a bear, the response from the first is- "I dont have to be faster than a bear, I just gotta outrun you!

Answer to the question is no peashooter is useless if it works, you just cant use them all on the same threats. If my daughter could get an itty bitty gun to kill spiders, she would be a sniper and her home would be riddled with pin holes!

13. Rarity

Rarity New Member

9mm, biggest and smallest for my little hands. I just really like my 9mm round!

14. Donn

Donn Active Member

9mm with Cor-Bon JHP's.

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The FN Pistol chambered in the 5.7X28 [.224] looks very impressive. The U.S. Secret Service now carries this weapon. :)

16. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I carry the Phoenix HP22 most of the time because there are no bears where I go.

17. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I have a P-3AT that I carry quite often. I used to carry a JA-22. The 22 is a lot more accurate than the 380 but they both will do what I need. Put enough holes in a bad guy to allow me to run like hell.

18. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Hahaha. True

19. luckyj

luckyj New Member

Man that's a nice Detonics. That's on my list of wants. My birthday is coming up FYI. Haha