Small to Mid-sized Gun Locker or Cabinet Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Gun Safes' started by ryevick, Sep 18, 2017.

1. ryevick

ryevick Member

I don't have children in the house. It's just myself with company on occasion. I don't personally want a locker or cabinet but it's probably the smart play just because you never know. I live in a rental home so bolting things down and what not isn't what I had in mind. Just something to limit access to just myself. I still think a quick access bedside handgun is a good idea but other than that only 3 or 4 rifle length firearms and a place for ammo maybe is all I guess I'm looking for. Looking to keep cost down as well. One exception to that, I would be interested in looking at a couple of cherry finish cabinets just out of curiosity but mostly budget indoor cabinets/lockers.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

It all depends on the level of "security" you desire. You can get a ten gun "cabinet." for well under $200.00, at the major retailer, who's name won't cross my lips."

These cabinets don't provide a lot of security from theft, and none from potential fire or water damage, but they would go a long way to limiting your liability, if you guns were stolen and used in a crime. Without being able to bolt down any safe, a good burglar would just load the whole thing up, guns and all, and take it with him to work on at his leisure. You have to spend a heck of a lot of money to provide a safe that is safe from an experienced and dedicated criminal.

I just spent $400.00 on a "job-box" to protect 65 long guns from potential hurricane damage. They are reasonably secure, and marginally weather resistant, provide no fire protection, and are awkward to store. With the guns inside, it will weigh over 600 lbs., which is bulky enough to discourage throwing it over their shoulder and tossing it in the back of their car.

kfox75 likes this.

3. ryevick

ryevick Member

Yeah, I am not so much concerned with theft or damage as I have insurance. The main concern is safety of others. I was not aware if someone STOLED your firearm you could be liable for any crime they commit. Sure about that? With all due respect that sounds kinda of crazy... but we are talking about our government so nothing would surprise me.

4. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

not the government. liability means lawyers, they work for a percentage if they win - their lawyer is free, yours is $200 an hour and $2000 for a day in court, for a rookie lawyer. double the fees for a lawyer who can win.

kfox75 likes this.
  5. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i have had one gun that was stolen, and used in several criminal acts, and there is no liability, unless they can prove you provided the firearm. which if it was stolen, removes that liability.

but most self respecting gun owners do not want guns being stolen and being able to be used in criminal acts. stolen guns usually always end up in the hands of criminals at some point after they are stolen. usually in the hands of those who can't legally purchase a firearm. which is why most responsible gun owners buy very heavy and secure safes for gun storage.

here's the bottom line, there is no safe you can buy that can not be defeated given enough time and effort by a determined thief. that is just a fact of life.

given your situation with it being a rental house, that does add a bit of difficulty in choices for you. definitely bolting it down adds a bit of security, so i would suggest discussing it with your landlord to see if that might be an option for a cabinet. if the cabinet were bolted down in a closet or utility room, they might be cool with that. i'd discuss the idea with your landlord to see what options they might be receptive of as far as you being able to secure your firearms.

next option, is hiding the cabinet. out of sight, out of mind. in the back of a closet, or hidden in a back corner of the garage. concealment would be an idea, and you just have to get creative given your situation as to what you can do to keep your firearms secure.

every body has unique situations in being able to keep their firearms secure, and sometimes we have to come up with creative ideas that will safely secure and store them. buying a safe was not an option really for me. i have too many to store and i would have needed at least three very large and very heavy safes to secure mine. the only place that would have been possible to put the safes would have been the garage, but i would have lost lots of floor space to place them there. there was no place really in the house for one safe, much less three of them, so i decided on concealment type of storage. i have several custom closets for storing mine. plus several other custom concealment stashes around the house, so that there are guns within easy reach at anytime, no matter where i might be within the house. now my method might not be the most ideal for others, but i live in very rural area, with very little crime, my house isn't visible from the road, so most people don't even know it's there, plus i'm home the majority of the time, and i have several large outside dogs and also a couple of inside dogs. yes, a determined thief could still potentially steal my firearms, but they would have to know where my house is, then get past the dogs outside, and then get into the house, which would not be easy, then get past the inside dogs, then locate the guns to steal them. all of this would requite them a lot of time. not ideal for most thieves. that is if they knew exactly when i was going to be gone to try and pull off this caper!

another layer of security is to limit anything you might say on any social media. thieves have been known to try an use social media to determine when people are gone to target their homes for theft. never mention when you're going to be gone. never, ever mention about guns, except in the most general of terms when discussing them on any social media. never let anyone know how many or what kind of guns you have. also keep that information very tight with even casual conversations, even those in person. there are exactly four people that know the exact number of my guns, and exactly three people that know the exact location of every gun in my home. my wife, my brother, my father and my insurance agent know the number and type of guns. my wife, my brother and my father know the exact locations just in case something happens to me. or happens to the wife and i in an accident or something.

kfox75 likes this.
  6. Dallas53

can you provide court cases that were won because of liability of a stolen firearm used in criminal act?

anyone can sue anyone for anything in this day of litigation.

and guess what? they still have to prove a case. ummm..that requires evidence and proof. which any rookie lawyer could beat in New York minute. so without proof of liability the case goes nowhere. that is even if the judge allows the case to go to trial.

7. Dakota1

Dakota1 Well-Known Member

A bedside quick-access lockbox is wise & if you have long guns, you can get an inexpensive lockbox, since you're probably more concerned about unauthorized access than theft.

If guns are just "Lying around unsecured or hidden" & stolen, you would appear irresponsible & reckless if they were used in a crime. And you would be.

8. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Stranger things have happened. If your gun is not secured and a kid breaks in takes the gun and shoots themselves with it, do not think that their mamma and daddy won't sue you. They may or may not win, but they don't have to win to break your bank. There have been cases where burglars injure themselves in their victims homes and successfully sue the homeowner.

There are plenty of ambulance chaser attorneys who will take on any lawsuit on contingency that they think they can get a settlement out of. However, if you are the one being sued, you are going to have to come out of pocket for your defense.

It is better to secure you unattended firearm, than to not secure your unattended firearm. A "Gun Cabinet" would meet that requirement.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    kfox75 likes this.
  9. Dakota1

Dakota1 Well-Known Member

Bingo^^^
    When our parents passed, my brother (our parents' first mistake) didn't agree with their will & trust, so he hired four attorneys over the past five years to try (unsuccessfully) to change it. He had NO trouble finding attorneys who were more than willing to create $400.00/hr. bills, even though they knew he had no case. He lost at trial, then his scumbag attorney convinced him to appeal, which he also lost. He now has $275,000.00 in legal bills. But I have $60,000.00 in bills from my attorney. I had to fight or he would take everything.
    So...if people are smart, they will do everything they can to avoid unnecessary legal expenses. If someone is hurt or killed with a gun that was left lying around or "hidden," he may not be convicted but he may be bankrupt.

kfox75 likes this.
  10. Dallas53

see there is a remedy against bogus or frivolous lawsuits. it's called a counter lawsuit. if you are sued, you are already going to need the services of an attorney to represent and defend you in civil trial. you can by law, have your attorney file a counter lawsuit, for legal expenses and loss due to the lawsuit.

you would be surprised at how many cases are dropped when someone realizes that their bulls**t lawsuit may end up costing them huge amounts of money, when they thought they could use a lawsuit to intimidate someone into paying them a huge amount of money in a settlement. and many of the shyster lawyers, are hoping for a settlement instead of a trial.

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

If you are halfway decent at woodworking,
    you can make your own Hidden Gun Cabinets.

Or there are companies who will do it for you,
    at a pretty penny.

I'm fond of the Coffee Tables & shelving units
    that have hidden gun storage underneath.
    If you know what you are doing, a sliding Kitchen Table can
    be easily modified to have a center compartment that NOBODY
    would ever think of looking in, except kids looking for a place to
    hide their hot wheels cars before dinner, hence RFID locks ;)

Heck, even standard desks and nightstands can be modded
    to hide things...take a look at some of the pics that are
    on the Special Furniture websites and they'll give you
    more than a few ideas!!
    http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/gear/food-drink/cabidor-door-storage-cabinet.asp

Even Amazon has a few helpful toys...
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BHON2XU//ref=cm_sw_su_dp?tag=duiwath-20

kfox75 and Dallas53 like this.
  12. Dallas53

i like the idea of furniture with hidden compartments! :)

at some point i would like to either modify or build a custom coffee table with a hidden compartment.

another one i do plan on in the near future are the hidden vaults behind pictures or mirrors, that are recessed in between the wall studs. but, this will have to wait until i plan on doing a repaint of the walls.

kfox75 and big shrek like this.
  13. 6.7Powerstroke

6.7Powerstroke New Member

Here is what I have, it can accommodate 2 long guns and 2 + pistols (providing what you try to put in it). I mounted it behind my bedroom door. I keep an AR w/ optic and 30 round mag and it fits just fine. Also put my carry gun and holster in every night.

Eurekasafes.com

Attached Files:

kfox75 likes this.
  14. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

Pretty cool.

Another good option is a company called tactical Walls. They make furniture with hidden storage, which can be locked, mirrors, shelves, chalk boards, and a few other options, which are locked and unlocked via magnetic latches.

Site: https://tacticalwalls.com/

granted, you may be installing them for the next guy, but most landlords, if you ask first, and put it in writing that you will do the needed repairs if you take them with (Drywall and paint work, so it's not too big a deal cost wise), they will work with you.

Now, here's one out of left field.

Find out if any schools in your area are going to rteplace their lockers within the next year, and see if you can get a bank of about 5 of them you can pair it down to two bodies (Frames, and bolt in a shelf in the top of each one, with a center wall, and run a row of 4 shelves from top to bottom in the other body. You can then use a top plate as a base on each side, move the floor down one set of holes, and fill it with beach sand, making the base weight about another 200 pounds. Keep the amo locked in the shelf side, with a couple handguns, and the long guns in the other side. Most will take 8 to 12 long guns with no major hassles. Finish the inside off however you want to, if you want to stay metal, you can pick up magnetic rifle racks, designed to rest on a car fender, and use them to hold the long guns upright in the bays. You can even get them with built in locks, or contact a school locker company, and order your own, coded alike, or with multiple settings you can switch with a master key.

Or, even use 2X2s or 2X4s and plywood, and make your own shelves, and use the full bank, which would make taking it, especially full, a 2 person job.

Here's the one I have set up for the HD weapons in our bedroom.

IMGP0859.JPG IMGP0860.JPG IMGP0861.JPG IMGP0862.JPG

It;s still a work in progress, picked up some cedar planking that I'm cutting to fit, but for a road side find roll around tool box base, and 2 of a row of 5 school lockers, picked up for $100 and an hour'd drive each way when i lived in NY, and a matched set of 4 padlocks, it keeps honest folks honest.

i did have to bolt it to the floor and the door frame to keep it upright, but setting up one with a botom shelf for ammo and omitting the top shelf, you could have a heavy base to it, reducing the need for stud bolting. If you add a side box, just make sure that side is towards the wall or door frame in the corner you set it up in.

For about the cost of most cheap 8 gun or 10 gun cabinets, you can make one with your own flair to it, that will better suit your needs.