Small revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Cinderocka1989, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

I really like revolvers, and I've been thinking I want one... or three...
    So, I've been looking at a Ruger LCR and a S&W Lady Smith

Question for the day
    Pro's and con's of each
    Other suggestions
    And opinions (be gentle) :)

2. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Small revolver?

You say you like revolvers. Do you prefer small frame wheel guns to larger, and if so, may I ask why?

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

IMHO, the easiest shooting of the small frame wheelies is the SP101

4. Cinderocka1989

I was looking for something that I would carry. I'm a small girl with small hands, so I was thinking a small gun would be best, I carry a Ruger SR9C right now but still have a hard time concealing even that...

5. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

+1 you can never go wrong with a Ruger revolver...

6. NOVA

NOVA New Member

Got it. Totally understand the small hands thing. It sounds like you know what you are looking for. What method of concel carry do you will use? In a handbag, perhaps?

7. Cinderocka1989

I leave my purses places too frequently to trust myself with a gun in one, I've been carrying in a shoulder holster but thinking IWB either right in front or back of my hip, I don't think I could carry it on my side... I'd run into too many things

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Please don't take my butting in as anything but an attempt to be helpful but IWB carry is generally not all that effective or comfortable for women. Seems that men are relatively flat from the hips to the legs whereas women have hips that cause the holster to flare out...and force the grip into your ribcage...:eek:

I have attached a link which may be helpful in identifying some options other than a shoulder rig that I cannot imagine is very comfortable...

Concealed Carry for Women

9. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I have had a few female friends say that they would like to carry a gun for self-defense and ask about carry methods. I always try to be helpful but I'm a guy (a wide one :D) and therefore I don't have the same issues trying to conceal a weapon that a woman does. So, I just wanted to post a link to a video my GF found last year. The woman in the video is quite knowledgable on concealed carry issues that women face that us guys are clueless about:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk]YouTube - ‪Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women‬‏[/ame]

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The S&W J frame revolvers, such as the ladysmith or Chief's Special are durable, reliable, surprisingly accurate. They are about 1899 era technology.

The LCR is a newer gun, but getting a decent rep. DO check the weights of each. A lighter gun is less hassle to carry, but can be MUCH harder to handle with snappy self defense loads.

Try to find a range that rents guns, and see which YOU like.

PS- my go-to CCW gun is a S&W Mdl 36- more than old enuff to vote, and shoots quite well, thank'ee.

11. freefall

freefall New Member

Have you tried the SR9C in small of back position? I love revolvers but putting one in your waistband is like shoplifting turnips. If you want to carry a revolver I would seriously look into a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig and plan on wearing a covering garment. The inverted shoulder rig was originally invented for ladies to carry with. just reach under the off breast, grab the handle and you're in business. At least that's what I was told.:eek:

12. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

I love my S&W Lady Smiths, both of them. I have both the revolver and the Semi. I carried the Revolver for years and she never let me down. The Semi is a fairly new member of the family but they get along well.

13. utf59

utf59 New Member

Personally, I like Smith triggers better, but I have shot an LCR, and it was pretty nice.

If you're concerned more with the size than the weight, I'd agree with an earlier poster about the Ruger SP101. Its dimensions are similar to the revolvers you mentioned, but it's heavier, which makes for smoother shooting.

My wife prefers SOB carry IWB, but she carries a single-stack semi.

14. Cinderocka1989

I need all the help I can get :) Yeah... I'm not shaped like a board. but my back is fairly straight so I have considered a SOB carry method or a kidney position just right of the center of my back...

My shoulder rig has worked fairly well for me but it gets pretty hot here during the summer which is why I'm looking for a new method of carry, not necessarily why I'm looking for a new gun though (that may be an disease for which there is no cure) I actually found that my breasts get in the way in a cross draw situation, the only thing that really bothered me about my shoulder holster... :eek:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  15. WDB

WDB New Member

The Ruger LCR and the S&W airweights are both fine choices. I've shot both a great deal when looking for a summer/casual carry CC pistol. I purchased a S&W 642 Centennial, in part because I found one NIB before I found a LCR. It's a good pistol with an internal hammer (even less to snag on), stainless steel and aluminum construction and truly light weight.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to buy.

Attached Files:

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Just posted this in another thread. Looks like Will beat me to this one. :p

You should take a look at wheel guns.

My Ruger Elsie Ahrrr.....

[​IMG]

In it's Alabama Holster pocket holster loaded with Corbon TR 38SPL+P 110gr DPX's.

Attached Files:

17. xdm6951

xdm6951 New Member

Try the lighest 357 ever made

HERE IS MY 340pd sHOOTS 357,+P AND 38 LIGHEST AND MOST COMFORTABLE

Attached Files: