small revolver for the wife

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Axxe55, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i need some suggestions for a small 38 caliber revolver for my wife. she has a Bersa Thunder 380 now that i bought for her to carry, but she has a hard time operating the slide. she shoots it well enough, but if she had to reload and rack slide to chamber a round, well she might be in trouble. i'm thinking about a small revolver in at least 38 caliber, but not some cheap gun, but not extremely expensive. any input would be appreciated.

2. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have seen Charter Arms .38's out there at a very good price lately, S & W has out a very reasonably priced snubbie that I may pick up myself. Taurus firearms shoot very well in my opinion and I would have no qualms in trying out one of their revolvers. Also, my wife shoots her SR9 very well, but has alot of trouble with the recoil from a .38 snubbie, I was thinking of possibly going to the .32 magnum or the .327 Federal,, possible options you may wish to investigate.

Good shooting,
    Jeff

3. kwolfe

kwolfe New Member

I just bought a LCR in 38. I have only put about 100 rounds through it so far but I already love it. Even with the +P the recoil didn't feel bad IMO. I only paid $400 for it brand new.

4. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Both the LCR and S&W are great options.

5. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. Personally I would get them in .357, like the LCR .357. That way, she or you, would have the choice of 3 different shooting loads.

6. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

My mum has some pretty bad shoulder pains, and serious issues racking a slide(she can't stand my 1911, for example) and heavy guns and heavy recoil cause her issues too.
    The 38 lcr was her choice, and so far, it's treated her well.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Look into one of these .327 Fed. Mag. 10 fold better than a .38, Charter Arms.

Attached Files:

8. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

I'd let her handle both the Ruger LCR (either in .38 or .357), and the S&W model 442. The double action only trigger pull on the LCR is superior to the trigger pull on the 442. LCR would be my choice but she has to decide which fits her better.

9. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

If you can find a nice used one, SW made an all steel "Ladysmith" .38 snub revolver that was REALLY nice. One of the best snubs ever made. I believe they can be had in either the mini J frame size or the next larger K frame.I wouldn't recommend the ultra lights with aluminum frames for a lady because they are so light, the recoil will be too much on a lady (or some men) and really cause muzzle flip.

http://www.budspolicesupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/4_9/products_id/88

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9848951&oh=216543

http://www.gunauction.com/closed/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9711695

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  10. Wambli

Wambli Member

There are boatloads of used S&W Model 36's out there with holster wear that have seen a lot of carry and not much shooting. These guns can usually be had for a song and will give you many years of great service.

11. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I found my wife a used S&W model 60. It has enough weight that it doesn't hurt to shoot and is as fine a SD gun as you could ask for.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are a couple of tricks to ease the slide rack. Cocking the hammer prior to racking will help. Grasp the slide with the weak hand over the top and opposing the strong hand. Push with both hands. Be careful not to cover the muzzle with the heal of your hand. My wife has trouble with the double action trigger pull. She went to an SR9c after she learned how to rack the slide on my Glock.

13. powg

powg New Member

revolver for wife

taurus mod .85 5 shot .38 spl ...i like 3 inch barrel , fbi load .38 spl best package for the $

14. powg

powg New Member

revolver for wife

taurus mod .85 5 shot .38 spl ...i like 3 inch barrel , fbi load .38 spl best package for the $

15. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

He's right, that's a great gun and since it was an LEO favorite for a long time, there are tons of lightly used ones around for good prices. Great suggestion.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/90160856...Full-Frame-Revolver/Smith_Wesson_Model_36.htm

16. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Just don't forget to let your wife shot buddies or a rental gun before SHE desides what SHE likes. Then you can pay for it. Used SW, old taurus 85 or new or old charterarms, not one of the middle years. all can be bought right.

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated. all you mentioned some that i'm interested in her to try out. that will be the deciding factor, as to which one she likes best.

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

I found a model 36 in a pawn shop, with a cracked hammer spur, and some very minor rust pitting on the frame, for 350 bucks. They said they would knock off 50 for the crack in the hammer spur the rest of the hammer is in good shape as far as I can tell without disassembling it, and they are willing to knock off another 20 for the pitting.

Total of 280 dollars, a bit ugly (I would bob the hammer anyway), but mechanically sound. Good deal or no?

19. bountyhunter

bountyhunter New Member

Great deal. Just like stealing.

20. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hey somebody loan me about 280 bucks? Please?