Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in law has a Springfield gi 1911. The problem is when you go to eject a full shell out manually. 50% of them hang up and won't kick out. We haven't shot it yet so don't know if it will have problems then to.

·
Registered
369 Posts
50% seems high, even considering ejectors are designed to work for empty shells. If it ejects correctly while shooting, it's probably OK. I would guess that the ejector as it is set now may make the gun be a little picky about brands of ammo, but that is just speculation.

·
Premium Member
10,790 Posts
My brother in law has a Springfield gi 1911. The problem is when you go to eject a full shell out manually. 50% of them hang up and won't kick out. We haven't shot it yet so don't know if it will have problems then to.
Shoot it, bet you are not racking the slide with enough vigor.

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
I agree. 1911s are recoil operated. The fired case is actually pushing itself out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just went out side and shot 5 rounds through it. One of the spent shells ended up backwards in the action. The rest of the failures are the feed ramp needs polished.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Just went out side and shot 5 rounds through it. One of the spent shells ended up backwards in the action. The rest of the failures are the feed ramp needs polished.
I seriously doubt it need the feedramp polished- It has nothing to do with ejection- only feeding. More likely the ejector needs tweeking-

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
1. Check extractor tension

2. Tune ejector

3. If it's reloads, check the OAL. Long
loaded rounds might bumb the bullet nose
on the slide/end of the barrel.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I seriously doubt it need the feedramp polished- It has nothing to do with ejection- only feeding. More likely the ejector needs tweeking-
And to think all this time I thought it was the universal law that when you couldn't figure out why a gun wasn't working right you needed to polished the feed ramp.

Go figure!:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts