Small Problem With Getting My Lower.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by PeeceKeeper, Feb 18, 2012.

1. PeeceKeeper

PeeceKeeper New Member

Hey forum, I'm having a small issue with getting my lower. It's not financial or an issue with the business. It's far worse... ***Insert epic "Dun Dun Dunnn" sound***

As it turns out, my mother isn't too fond of me bringing a firearm into the house. It does go to say - she hasn't forbid it! I'm 20 years of age and love my mother dearly and respect her.

She has told me she doesn't feel too comfortable about the whole idea. I've already paid for the lower and there is a $50 restocking fee (an absurd price if you ask me) and I don't want to feel like I wasted my money. I also don't want to feel guilty for getting it.

So I come to you guys for your opinions. What should I do? Should I go through with my purchase or bite my tongue and lose the $50?

2. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Well it's a stripped lower, right? While technically a firearm you can truthfully tell her it's just a part that won't shoot. At least you have the most important part in your possession if things go south around election time November. Of course, her house, her rules.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not to rain on your parade, but you may be getting ready to bump into another headache- if that is a stripped lower.

A stripped lower that is more than 80% complete is a firearm- legally. It is not yet a rifle nor a handgun- it can be assembled into either one. On the form 4473, it is an "other".

Federal law says that a dealer can sell a rifle or shotgun to a person at age 18. But all other fireams, you must be 21.

If it is a completed upper, with stock, it will be a rifle on the 4473. If it is 80% or less complete, it is not a firearm.

As far as parents desire- sorry- their house, their rules. If you want your own rules, find your own house. Does not mean I agree with their rules, but what I agree with does not matter- not my house.

4. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Not trying to be an a$$ here but don't you think you should have talked about it with her before you threw money down :confused: It's one thing if it were your own house but if your living under someone elses roof, common courtesy would be to talk it through with them before buying. Just my .02

Lived with my parents when i bought my first firearm and i talked it over with them before hand. They were not happy with the idea but the fact that i brought it up to them before purchasing sealed the deal in my case :cool:

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

If you respect her like you say (and it's sounds like you do to me), offer to compromise. See if she will allow you to take it, and then sell it. Explain to her that you could stand to make a little money instead of losing it, and at the same time you'll be respecting her wishes.