small primer in large cases

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by linuxuser3890, Apr 11, 2012.

1. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

Why do manufactures put small primer pockets on large cases that typically use large primers? I picked up some 45 acp bass the other day from the range and some of them take small pistol primers, talk about a way to throw off your reloading rhythm. The cases were made by federal and they looked to be new. What's going on?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

2. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Because its cheaper ????????

3. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Is that a 1919 in your avatar pick?

4. orangello

orangello New Member

IIRC, there was a previous thread about this that surmized that .45acp was about the only caliber that Federal was loading at some plant or other that normally used the bigger primers. It would make sense to try to use the same size primers rather than make an exception for one line/caliber.

5. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

Makes since but it really sucks. I can either ream out all these cases or load with small pistol primers or throw them away. So as I said it really sucks

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

CCI Blazer is also using small primers in .45acp. I know because it keeps making me stop my progressive loader.

7. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

Yeah that also makes since. CCI speer and federal are all owned by ATK.

8. Staestc

Staestc New Member

I think I read that the small primer .45 cases were those that used enviro friendly lead free primers. I found 8 of them among the batch I was priming the other night. I have not done anything with them yet but I also read that small pistol primers will work fine in place of the normal large pistol primers. I am going to research that a bit more before I load them though.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

The reason 45acp was designed with large primers was because at the time pistol powder wasnt easy to ignite in a case the size of the 45acp.

Small modern pistol primers have enough heat generation to ignite pistol powder that federal uses. So its cheaper for them to streamline and use the smaller primers.

I just segragate out the small primer cases from range pickups and take those on my trips to texas and leave em where i shoot em. Or use em for trade fodder

10. orangello

orangello New Member

How far behind can the flying cars be? :D

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The Speer RHT lead free non-toxic ammo in .45 ACP uses small primers. Speer (Federal/CCI) do not make large lead free primers. Streamlines the process. They load fine, shoot fine. I segregate mine and save them for when I have easier access to small primers.

12. RiverRat68

RiverRat68 RiverRat68 Supporter

Small VS. Large Primers in .45 ACP Cases.

I work for a company that recycles once fires brass. The small primers in the .45 ACP brass are used in all Non-Toxic rounds. From what I have been able to assertain, the most toxic part of any round being discharged is the residue from the primer. In order to comply with the Non-Toxic standards, a new explosive for primers had to be developed that was Non-Toxic. This was too hot for the large primers, hence the new small primers. Now the bullet, powder and primer are all Non-Toxic. We have to sort through all of our .45 ACP brass and segregate all of the small primers from the large, before we process it for sale.

13. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

I'll be honest that does not sound like a fun job I was ready to quit with a batch of 200 or so.

14. cliffspot

cliffspot New Member

They are used for the "Non Toxic" line of ammo for indoor range shooting. Fed, Win, Speer, and another company that I can't remember off the top of my head load smalls in ACP's. HATE it! Throws off my timing when I am loading....my best is 1000 45 ACP's in 40 minutes on an RL1050! Save them and reload them with small primers. You have to swage the primer pockets as they are crimped in like military ammo.