Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the election and the china virus came along, what was the "normal" pricing for both small pistol and small rifle primers?

I haven't reloaded in decades and don't remember what I used to pay. Would like to get back into it but not until things settle down....if that ever happens.

Thanks, SG

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The local CAL Ranch store sold by the 100 count box for $3.99, IIRC. bricks were about $40-45, depending. Now they finally have SPP back in stock, only by the 100 count, at $5.99 a box.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
The local CAL Ranch store sold by the 100 count box for $3.99, IIRC. bricks were about $40-45, depending. Now they finally have SPP back in stock, only by the 100 count, at $5.99 a box.
It'd be interesting to know what the upstream costs with suppliers have done. If their own costs have dramatically risen, and they've passed along, say, $1/100ct, it'd be hard for a shop to not bump the pricing with the new inventories.

I wonder if any of the gun magazines will "spill" the info about the industries pricing changes, given how wonky this past ~2yrs has been.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Before the election and the china virus came along, what was the "normal" pricing for both small pistol and small rifle primers?

I haven't reloaded in decades and don't remember what I used to pay. Would like to get back into it but not until things settle down....if that ever happens.

Thanks, SG
I normally paid between $35 and $40 per thousand, and that was locally (MS) for CCI primers.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. When thing's come down, I will start reloading for the next debacle. Fortunately, I didn't get caught when I bought at "reasonable pricing". Now I have the brass.

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
$36 for 1000 and $6 for 100. I didn’t ever buy 100 but lately with a limit of 300 they were $8 for a hundred . An owner of a shop I spoke to said when available again bricks will be $50. Although that’s more than I wish to pay at least you don’t need to buy plywood to reload.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$36 for 1000 and $6 for 100. I didn’t ever buy 100 but lately with a limit of 300 they were $8 for a hundred . An owner of a shop I spoke to said when available again bricks will be $50. Although that’s more than I wish to pay at least you don’t need to buy plywood to reload.
Wow. They're a long way from that on GB right now. Inflation has to be a substantial part of the difference since I last reloaded but still, wow! I may buy some just to get set up again. I know I'll need some ancillary things like a new accurate scale, powder feed, etc. Those things have improved substantially from "back in the day".

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Gunbroker is completely over the line.

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
HaHa I just reread your earlier post. The next debacle like this ones ever going to end.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Back before the prices seriously "popped" I was able to "play the lull" (in between periods of high demand and satiation) on GunBroker to pick up many 1000ct boxes of CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers for not awful prices. That dried up rapidly. But was able to play that game with bullets I wanted, on "no reserve" auctions, where buyers seemed to have developed a recent, short-lived feeling they had all they needed. Picked up many 100ct boxes of bullets and 1000ct boxes of primers that way, waiting for such lulls.

Of course, since then, primers through GB, at least for the small rifle primers I look for, seem to be selling in the ~$200-250 range for 1000ct boxes. On the rare occasion a 5000ct or 10000ct batch comes along, the per-box price drops a little and the stiff hazmat shipping fees aren't all that bad (across such a volume).

No idea, when it'll be back to a modestly sane level. I'm betting at least a year. We'll see.

Can't say I was looking for reloading supplies a couple of years back. No idea what typical local LGS prices might have been, for primers.

I do know that one local shop seems to get small supplies of 1lb and 8lb jugs of powder, some of the more-popular rifle powders as well, putting them on the shelves for ~$33-40/lb or so. Sure isn't typical. I've no idea what their cost on purchases is, to get the supply. Perhaps well-meaning old-timers in the membership are simply selling off some of their "excess" jugs in order to keep the range's shop going. I don't know. But it sure is heartening to see the occasional couple of pounds of a decent, otherwise-popular rifle powder on the shelf for what seems a pretty reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
2,870 Posts
Yea I’m not having a bad time getting powder or bullets . I’m now in the process of reloading 556 and the primers are my Achilles Heel. I’ve only ever used them to load 454Casull so I’m still using the 1000 I started with 5 years ago. I wish I would have run out 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
I was paying around $30 per K prestupid. The last spp i bougt were cci and i paid 150 for a case, i think there was a cci promotion with a $25 coupon too.
Just bought some cci at CAL ranch yesterday for $5.99 a sleeve. My dad needed some, so we each bought the limit of two and i gave him mine.
Going back today.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How are primer and powder pricing doing now? I haven't been following either one. Are they coming down any?

Thanks, SG

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
What I have seen locally here in west Texas, powder and primers are becoming more available gradually, but prices are still high. Powder is about 15-20% higher than before, primers are worse. Hopefully prices will stabilize a little lower. I do not expect everything to go back to what it was, but hopefully a bit better still.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What I have seen locally here in west Texas, powder and primers are becoming more available gradually, but prices are still high. Powder is about 15-20% higher than before, primers are worse. Hopefully prices will stabilize a little lower. I do not expect everything to go back to what it was, but hopefully a bit better still.
Thank you AW. I just have an itch to get back into making my own ammo. I'll use my single stage press and if it holds my interest, may spend some money on something better if they're available. I need to upgrade some equipment anyway.

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
I can still get pretty much any powder i want and at prestupid pricing. Primers are non existent locally. Using ammoseek i find primers consistently 11c-17c per. Still waaay too steep. Brownells and Midway was getting primers in for a month or so at 7.5c per, but haven't seen them in a week or more.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
I normally paid between $35 and $40 per thousand, and that was locally (MS) for CCI primers.
The past several weeks, I've occasionally seen 1000ct boxes of primers (say, CCI #450 SR magnums) come along for $65-85 a box. Of course, those get snapped up in moments, once the word spreads. Most shops seem to have them for well over $100/bx. Some of the auction sites regularly seem to go north of $150/bx, and often over $200/bx. For 1000ct.

Locally, around me, I can't recall seeing 1000ct of small-rifle or large-rifle primers go for under $100/bx for the past year and more.

Doesn't look like it's loosening up yet, from where I'm sitting.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the info. I'm really sitting on the fence on whether to get back into it. I have a bunch of empty brass but hardly any components and they're so old I wouldn't feel good about using them (primers). I'll just start getting a feel for what things can be bought for and make a decision. It doesn't sound too smart having empty brass laying around in these atrocious times right now.

·
Premium Member
6,518 Posts
Last primers I bought, I was offered 10 cases of small rifle. I only bought one at $100. I could retire if I had bought all 10 cases :)

·
Premium Member
2,146 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info. I'm really sitting on the fence on whether to get back into it. I have a bunch of empty brass but hardly any components and they're so old I wouldn't feel good about using them (primers). I'll just start getting a feel for what things can be bought for and make a decision. It doesn't sound too smart having empty brass laying around in these atrocious times right now.
Make some test loads if it's worth it to you. See if those primers are still good. Just randomly select a couple from each sleeve.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts