Small Engine Repair Thread!!!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Apr 25, 2011.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok so I have a Troy- Built 4 cycle gas trimmer (TB575). It will start and run till you give it gas. Then it is like you hit the kill switch.

Now I read up on this and the carb is a real weak point and they don't make a rebuild kit for it. So last year I dropped $80 on a new carb, gasket, and tubing along with a new fuel filter and air filter. I put it all back together and what do you know still does the same thing. Anyone got any clue about this. I changed the gas first used sta-bil in the new gas and blowing out the tubing and carb before buying the new one. I just don't know what the problem is. I don't want to take it to the shop because that will cost me $100+ and it just isn't worth that much.

I got so upset last year I went and just purchased a Echo SRM-230 gas trimmer. The Echo is the HOA's along with an Echo blower and an Echo chain saw.

2. jca1

jca1 New Member

See if it runs without the muffler, if so just clean the muffler

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

There's a thin paper like thing in the carb called a reed ..if that is broke it will shut down like you say......check that first....

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Foiled sparkplug??...That's all I can think of.....

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Of course you also cleaned or replaced the air filter. Have you changed the spark plug?
    If the gap is not correct, that could also cause the problem.

Dirty air filter = lean condition = hotter running = burnt sparkplug.

6. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I have a Poulan 2-cycle weed eater that's been giving me the same problem. Like you, I've been told I needed to rebuild the carb, but I haven't got around to it yet. Please let us know if you figure out the problem.

7. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

There is no reed in my carb.

Yes replaced the spark plug with an OEM replacement and I have tried others and yes I gaped them to the specified measurement.

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I hate those lil carbs. Maybe this will help? Lawn Mower Carburetors | eHow.com

I am a BIG fan of electric yard tools, weedwhackers, mowers, etc. They start every time & don't have carbs or ethanol-allergic fuel systems.

9. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Not all carburetors or fuel pumps have a Diaphragm...Some do some don't...I looked at:Spark plug misses under load...and it said spark plug fouled or spark plug faulty or gap incorrect...are the breaker points faulty...??...Also Adjusting the choke linkage..Once adjusted ,check engine acceleration by moving the throttle from idle to fast..The engine should accelerate smoothly...Good-Luck....

10. jca1

jca1 New Member

Take the muffler off and see if it runs.......

11. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

ALL of the little weed eater etc motors have a screen in the exhaust that
    acts as a "spark arrestor". The screen gets plugged up with gunk and carbon,
    and the symptoms of a plugged screen are---it will start and idle, but when
    you hit the gas it will fall on it's face. Pull the screen and clean it. Usually
    you can burn it clean with a small propane torch, or wire brush/carb cleaner.

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Why not throw that ghey thing away and get a 2 stroke...some things were ment for 2 stroke motors like a weed eater and a chainsaw.

13. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I did go back to a 2 stroke. That Echo runs like a rapped ape man.

I just have a hedge trimmer brush cutter and a poll saw for the troy-bilt...

I got the troy bilt thinking man no more mixing gas and it should run better. That was quickly shot down. I will look at the muffler but dam the thing has been used like 5 or 10 times.

The first one I replaced the clutch on and it still wouldn't cut a single blade of grass. I did put it on craigs list and the one effer that offered to buy it backed out stating that he read to many bad reviews on it. I just hate having something in the shed that doesn't run properly.

14. Car54

Car54 New Member

I also have the Troy Bilt 4 cycle trimmer and two weeks ago it took a while to start, then this past Friday, it took almost 10 minutes to fire up and it ran okay once started. Then I got out the 2 cycle Troy Bilt blower and the thing would start then stall and that took almost 10 minutes to get it running, and once running it ran okay.

I was thinking since both acted up at the same time it had to be bad gas or dirt in the gas that is blocking the gas line into the carb. I took the plugs out and cleaned them and I'll go pick up some new ones in a couple days, but I don't really think it's the plugs. I'll putz with them a bit but I'm not a small motor guru.

I'd go back to electric but I hate dragging 200 feet of extension cord around the yard and then rolling it up when done.

15. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I will only buy Echo or Stihl for my lawn equipment.

16. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

AMEN!! but I'll add Husqvarna. I've got one of their 35cc 2 stroke weedeaters and as long as it's got gas and string it's ready to go. Haven't changed the plug in 3 years and it still starts with just a couple pulls.
    My chainsaws are Stihls.

17. oneshot

oneshot New Member

I own a Troy built roto tiller used it once last year on the garden this year got it out to start it up the F***'n rope broke on the pull start. They told me it was not covered under warrenty since it was a wear and tear item. Only used the stupid thing one time last year. Good to hear I'm not the only lucky one:rolleyes:

18. Car54

Car54 New Member

When I bought that Troy Bilt stuff, I figured I wouldn't be using it hard or as often as commercial people do so I went with the lower cost of them knowing darn well at the time I should have put the money towards the better units. Shame on me.

19. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Just got done cutting my grass..WOW..Two weeks worth of rain and the grass was like cutting a wheat field in September at harvest time..DAMN..That Sh#t was tall...My lawnmore didn't want to start and had to fricken mess with every thing on the damn thing to get it to start......

20. orangello

orangello New Member

I hear that is a winning feature in a hostage, though.
    :p