Small dents in brass from re-manufact.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Wiebelhaus, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Who re manufactured it? Dents can be caused from case lube. When you shoot it it will straighten them out. (fire forming) I'd shoot it assuming everything else was done correctly ie. seating depth, powder charge.

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Let me guess u bought a box of hsm ammo

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

I dont shoot remanufactured ammunition from a non proffessional big name maker. I shoot my own reloads or factory new no one elses.

5. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

I ordered bulk from Freedom Munitions, I've never had any issues with their ammo but in this batch there's a few with dents.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Semi auto ammo? It's not unusual for there to be dings from the previous firing that don't get removed during sizing. .45 acp fired from a GI sized ejection port particularly.
    Unless they are of substantial size. or interfere with function, I wouldn't worry too much.

7. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

The ones I've noticed are .38's flat nose that will be shot by a j-frame.

8. Overkill0084

.38 spec? So much for my theory. :rolleyes:
    If I were to guess, the damage/dings are probably from very rough handling of the brass/ammo at some point. .38 special brass is pretty durable and stronger than it needs to be for the caliber. Without seeing them I'd hesitate to say: "go ahead, shoot 'em." Though unless the dents/dings are severe, they probably are safe to use.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

10. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

11. Overkill0084

[​IMG]

The one on the left should be ok.
    On the right, I'd toss it. I don't know what sort of incident caused that, but it looks a bit severe for my tastes.

You might wish to send an e-mail to the manufacturer of the ammo with these pics. They may not know how bad their QC is.
    Note:
    Weibelhaus- I hope you don't mind me linking you pic into my post. If you don't like it, let me know & I'll be happy to remove it. Just trying to make it easier for everyone.

12. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

No way, it's all good buddy, thanks for the advice. So the one on the left should be a baseline? anything worse than that toss it?

13. Overkill0084

Pretty much... yes, but it's a judgement call. My opinion is going to be different that others. Some would tell you to toss them both. Others might fire the one on the right just to see what happens.
    The one on the right looks extremely iffy simply because the edge of the dent sharpens up near the case head and it could be weakened enough to cause a separation.
    The one on the left is unlikely to have any noticeable problem at all. In fact firing it will probably fix the problem unless it's a very light load.
    You kind of have to look at the worst case scenario and use your best judgment. If in doubt, toss it.

14. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

15. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The one on the left will look perfectly fine after shooting. The dent will iron out from the pressure. The one on the right is more extreme. The brass has been stressed by the severe dent. It MAY be fine in a low pressure application like a .38 Spl, but it is not worth the risk. It may give way under the stress. I would definately contact the loader and let them know about the QC issue.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

Those arent lube dents. Something else is going on in their machines or some already dented brass got in. Lube dents usually show up on the shoulders of bottleneck cases.

17. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Man I'm sending this stuff back, first box of 50 and multiple squib loads, failures to fire, odd sounding bangs, I had to call it off after between 25-50 rounds, stuff is dangerous, I called the company on the way back and they said they would refund my money and pull the lott number. Tech on site said he would pull me off lane if I hadn't made the call myself, he checked the firearm barrel and said everything looks good, thing is, the first squib my wife who's a nurse and has only shot a few times, the first one happened to her (that scares me). Just a bad day at the range, we've all had them.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  18. Wiebelhaus

Wiebelhaus New Member

Additive:

I fired a cylinder full on that ruger that she likes to shoot because of the new ammo and it fired off good, so she started loading her speed loaders and I started to load my 9mm clips and a shotgun I borrowed from a buddy when I heard that weird *poof* and she was just about to pull again and I said "WHOA WHOA WHOA" and she goes "wha? What was that?", that one came out easy, so I fired a cylinder and one failed to fire, the primer was struck, WTF. ok, this isn't going well, so I loaded her next speed loader and ANOTHER failure, so I went through the box and picked out shady ones being very critical and then the second shot was a *poof*. I've never seen one of these before, the other folks there said it's very rare and so...ok, this is not coincidental. But the other ammo, Federal and Winchesters in 9mm,45 and a 12g shott all performed flawlessly, my wife was bummed because she only likes the Ruger revolvers.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  19. 1hole

1hole New Member

"Just a bad day at the range, we've all had them. "

I haven't. Been reloading since '65, doubt I've fired more than a few hundred factory rounds, total, in that time and no re-manufactored stuff at all. That's a lot of handloaded rounds and I've had maybe ten failures to fire due to defective primers but never a squib or over charge. What I'm suggesting is you hand load yourself and then you will KNOW what you're shootin'.

Even so, both of your cartridges are safe so far as the dents go, they will blow out easily. It appears they are stepped on 'pick-ups' from a gravel range.