Small 9mm for concealed carry

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Texanbybirth, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

I'm new to concealed carry and I'm looking for guidance. I'm leaning heavily toward a small, light weight 9mm that I could use for IWB or maybe pocket carry. I like the size of the Kahr 9mms and the Kel-Tec PF9. If I get a Kel-Tec, it will immediately get a F&B, as I hear that will greatly improve it's reliabilty and I will make absolutely sure that it's a newer production model to avoid all of the original flaws. What other pistols of that size should I be looking at and what are my holster options? I'm trying to keep costs down, as I have many other preparations for concealed carry. Holsters, ammo, secure storage in vehicles, etc.....

2. warrioroftheland

warrioroftheland New Member

check out glocks. i know they're a lil fatter BUT you have to remember its a double stack mag. as for the PF-9 i have a friend that carries one and says its the best money he ever spent. you should aslo check out the XD and XDm.

good luck and stay safe

Warrior out

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Take a look at the Ruger LCP or LCR. Both are great guns that are reasonably priced and my LCR in 38 spl +P is only 13.5 ozs.

[​IMG]

I carry this gun mexican and it disappears during a full day.

I installed the clip draw. It works well.

[​IMG]

4. STRAIGHTSHOOTER

STRAIGHTSHOOTER New Member

I got a Kahr PM9. Very easy to carry. Hardly know it's on me most of the time.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Strictly 9mm, I have a taurus 9mm millenium pro 3in. Small price, small gun, easily a good carry piece. :)

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've got an XD sub compact 9mm and love it. It's a bit thicker then the PF9 but it's reliable as a rock and can be fired all day. You'll spend more time with it, become more comfortable with it and be more proficient at handling it it should the need arise. I could see a place for the PF9 but it's not something I would want to shoot all day.

7. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

Thanks for the replies.

Canebrake - Is that a Kershaw Leek in the "necklace holster"? That may lighten my pockets if I can put my Leek there instead. I like the clip on the LCR. I think I've seen those on P3ATs and PF-9s. Is there much greater danger of the trigger being accidentaly pulled when carrying mexican? I'd be afraid that it would go off if I tried to pull up my pants. Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Until it gets cooler in TX, I'm really set on finding a gun under 15 ounces that I can conceal in light clothing. Cooler only happens 4-5 months/year here. Cooler = under 90 to me.

8. fxstchewy

fxstchewy New Member

I have a XD9SC, but i carry my Glock 26 the most, IWB/OWB either way i can conceal it in comfort.

9. WDB

WDB New Member

Take a good look at the S&W M&P 9mm compact. It cost a bit more than most but if you shoot it you will understand why. I have a M&P 45 that I carry almost all the time and a M&P 9mm compact when I'm lazy or in shorts and a tee shirt. Best advice is to find a range that rents and shoot the pistols, you will find the one that fits your skill and needs.

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Why yes it, good catch!

It's a 1660TGRYST with the pocket clip removed. In a RAM Kydex Knife Holder (Neck Holster) $4.99 from (I'm pissed at them right now because I placed a $260 order two weeks ago and got this holster so far! I will give them a break if I get my three knives soon. If not expect a consumer warning about them.)

[​IMG]

It's the only way to go for us must-have knife guys in the summer (or here in S Florida) God it's been hot down here the last 4 days! Almost 90 today.

It let's me put the cash in the front left and the phone in the front right.

Depending on the shirt and pants/shorts I carry @ two or four o'clock. This Ruger is great for summer carry.

With five COR-BON 110 gr DPX on board it still comes in under 16 oz.

1weight.jpg

Over thinking, yes!

Short answer, NO If you light this gun off while pulling up your pants then your are, "Doing it wrong!"

Here's the long answer:

As usual I checked my trigger pull on my new LCR

1lyman.JPG

1lyman2.jpg

1avg.jpg

The 10# 3.5 oz is the average for 10 pulls.

Not quite the 4.5# glass rod break of my Colt 1911 but one of the best feeling double action triggers I have ever shot!

You will be hard pressed to have a ND with this sweetheart!

You owe yourself a look at this new release.

11. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Kahr has been making ever more compact 9mm, .40 and .45 pistols for a number of years now. Kahr has a solid reputation in the gun-toting circles.
    The kahr users I know all went to the brand for some simple reasons: compactness, lite-weight, ease of use, durability and reliability.

12. Stealie

Stealie New Member

I have a PF-9 and it works very well in the light wieght concealed role. I did the fluff & buff and have had no problems with it. Also the Kel-tec owners group, is a great web site for info on these nice little 9mm.

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

The BEST 9mm for deep concealment is the Rohrbaugh. It's the smallest, lightest 9mm in existence. They're only 5.2" & about 10-12oz.
    Rohrbaugh Firearms Mine has NEVER malfunctioned whatsoever in any way.

14. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

Just to make a minor addition to Stalking Bear's recommendation of a Rohrbraugh, which by the way is an excellent choice for the ultimate in concealability while retaining some stopping power, that ridiculously attractive chick Olga Kurylenko from Quantum of Solace shot one. That'd sell me. ;)

[​IMG]

--Image from www.imfdb.com

Josh

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  15. roosterjuicer

roosterjuicer New Member

glock 26 FTW

Attached Files:

16. rexaroonie

rexaroonie New Member

I have a kahr 9mm, and like it very much, narrow and light. What I didn't like about the glock or other doublestacks, was the extra weight and thickness. This is my summer gun, Wearing shorts and t shirts, it works well for me. I used to have a S&W 3913, but I gave it to my son when he turned 21. Really would like to have it back.

17. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

stalkingbear posted:
    Those little hideout pistols look like a really good choice for concealed carry. It looks as though you need to invest the time to be able to shoot it well (rough recoil).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZQLo1Zb8ss"]YouTube - Rohrbaugh R9[/ame]

18. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Pulling your pants up pushes the trigger the wrong way. And I know what you mean about the heat. I live in Central Florida and its been over 90 just about every day for the past two weeks.

-Fred

19. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I like my Smith & Wesson M&P 9c in a Blade-Tech IWB holster. With an untucked tee shirt the gun is well concealed.

20. p11shooter

p11shooter New Member

Small and Lightweight

I would have to agree with Stealie on this one. For a small compact bang for your buck a PF-9, or like my gun the P-11, is defenitely worth it. Here is a pic of my P-11. Basically shop around and find one that fits you. This is my first handgun with no knowledge whatsoever, and I found my mate.:D

Attached Files: