Small 22 slow fire

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by CharlesOSlavens, Feb 26, 2013.

1. CharlesOSlavens

CharlesOSlavens New Member

I spent 3 years in the Army in the 60s and I was a member of

the base pistol team back in the day. Since then I've only

fired a hand-gun occasionally at a range. I do a lot of

backpacking and would like to do some plinking while I'm out

there. So I'm thinking Sig -220, Walther p22, Browning

1911/22, Ruger 22/45-al, etc. I went to a local

gunshop/range to try these out. Of course I was using their

cheap ammo. I got a lot of no-fires, jams, and even some

refusals to chamber a round. My style of shooting is to aim

carefully and to fire one shot at a time. The gun shop guy

said one of the reasons these small guns jam so much is

because they should be fired tactically... or rapid fire. He

fired a couple clips with only a couple mis-fires, which he

said were the ammo. Am I wrong to think you should be able

to fire these small guns slowly and carefully, without

malfunctions?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You should indeed. Sounds as if he has guns that have been rode hard, put up wet, abused, and poorly maintained.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

4. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Maybe

The guns

We're not cleaned

In quite some time.

And the ammo was the

Lowest common denominator.

Why

Did

You

Space

Your

This

Way

?

5. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

typical to blame a gun's incompetence on bad ammo. a good gun will fire ANY ammo flawlessly

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a 22/45. It will shoot anything I put in it. I am a slow acurate shooter too sometimes. Never a problem for me. The guy probably needs to clean his guns.

7. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

My bro has the ruger 22/45 and it rarely misfired or fte/ ftf . Great gun as well as my dads smith semi auto 22lr. But as any 22 auto comes with the occasional jam.

It was said earlier in the post but revolvers don't jam... My single six convertible has never has a prob,,, ever. And it's a blast to shoot any 22 round, any brand, any price

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A good gun will fire any ammo? You have to know better. That is like saying water logged fuel will run in a diesel engine.:rolleyes:

9. CharlesOSlavens

Thanks for the feedback. Let me refine my requirements: I'm over 70 years old and I'm already carrying a lot of gear and I want to keep my load as light as possible, hence my selection of small 22s. In addition I'm planning to add a suppressor because I don't want to scare up the wildlife or otherwise draw a lotta attention to myself. The Ruger performed the best of the lot, but it's just gonna be too big. Now I'm thinking I should try all four guns again with better ammo and see if that makes a difference. If you have any other gun recommendations, that would be appreciated.

THANX

10. gunlinn

gunlinn New Member

R you set on a semiauto? Ruger lcr line has sweet 22 lr and 22 mag models that are about the lightest I've ever felt. Very easy to carry. But not sure about a suppressor on it. Other than that I feel ruger, smith, or browning are all great 22 s and you should see what feels best in your hands and buy a new one. Not sure where your at but for trail gun a revolver is nice for snake shot too, as that round will not cycle through a auto.... Jmo

11. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

Charles,

add in that both the Ruger and Browning lines have lots of options.
    a revolver can be made to work with a suppressor.
    the Ruger Mark1-3 series and browning buckmarks both allow for aftermarket, extremely lightweight, barrels that come threaded for a suppressor. these can be added by yourself without the need for a gunsmith. I'm not sure if the 22/45 series offers that option though.

agree with the slow fire should not be an issue as long as your technique is sound, which it prolly is. few actually have limp wrist issues while using a 22lr pistol

12. CharlesOSlavens

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I want to put a supressor on this gun so I don't scare the hell out of the wildlife or draw attention to myself. In my opinion a large caliber revolver is your most reliable choice for defense.

Thanks

13. CharlesOSlavens

Your feedback is appreciated JMO. I hadn't thought of the S&W. I carry about 25 lb. of photo gear when I in the swamp (FL) so weight is a factor. I'd just like to get back into what I did as a kid in Washington state.

thanks

14. orangello

orangello New Member

It occurs to me that with a revolver in .22, you might not really need a suppressor; you could just use the subsonic rounds to limit the audible "bang" to your very immediate area.

I do love my GP-100, but i use it for target plinking not defense.

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

The Ruger auto pistols come with a variety of barrels, both length and diameter- which adds a LOT of weight to a target pistol. They are also available with an alloy frame.
    alloy mk 111.jpg

22.8 oz empty

ruger mk III slab side.jpg

45 oz empty

16. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

22/45 lite. Poly frame, aluminum upper, threaded, 1911 grip. Most of the HV ammo will not go sonic in the short barrel so good to go on the suppressor. Change the stinking bushing so the mag drops and it improves the trigger. I put a Bam Bushing in mine. Disassembly and reassembly is not for the faint of heart. Read the instructions and watch the Utube videos. It can be screwed up big time. Mine has a Bushnell TRS25 sitting on it. I have a Tactical Solutions HMK holster that takes the scope. Other choices would be the SR22 If they are threaded and the S&W M&P 22 which is threaded. I had too many problems with the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito.

17. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^There's your answer....

18. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 New Member

yup,
    JTJ hit it on the head.

buckmarks can be done in a similar manner as well. I believe that there are aftermarket threaded barrels for the ruger as well as a buckmark. I'm not sure if one can easily swap out a ruger barrel like the buckmark allows but sounds like you have options to research. let us know what you decide and how it comes out

19. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Charles,

As C-3 previously stated they should shoot fast or at slow fire. I have a Browning Buckmark at the present and in the past have owned Hi Standards and Rugers. I like the pistol very much and have a light weight barrel for it that is a piece of cake to change out. It is a Tactical Solutions Threaded Barrel should I ever want to buy a supressor for it.
    Recently I did have some problems with some Remington Green Box Bulk ammunition my cousin had purchased at Walmart. It would shoot in my gun but not in my counsins gun. So we traded ammunition and he has some of my CCI. So ammunition can cause a problem even in 22 cal.
    All the above pistols are a great choice! Maybe it is because I have a Benchmark now but I like it a lot. I also liked my HiStandard Victor Model of the past! Wish I had not have sold it. But needed a new Remington 40X rifle so needed money for that! Good luck on your choice!

20. tCan

tCan Active Member

Get a Ruger MkIII or 22/45 depending on your needs (weight vs build). There are several varied configurations in each. Other options on the table are the colt woodsman, browning buckmark. These are all "slow fire" pistols built for target shooting. However, I've put a whole brick of ammo through a Ruger MkIII as fast as I could load the mags and empty them and it never even hesitated. Wound up with a fist sized hole at 10 yards. And I'm a novice shot. You just cant beat that kind of performance.

Its because they're overbuilt and made to be shot.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013