Slugs through this barrel?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by jamesb, Mar 3, 2011.

1. jamesb

jamesb New Member

So I just picked up a Remington 870 Express Synthetic. The Remington site says it has a fixed choke. Being new to all this i'm trying to understand all this. I understand chokes as different chokes allow the bird or buck shot to stay in a tighter pattern or group or spread out more depending on the choke.

My question is I want to shoot bird/buckshot and slugs at the range. Somebody I know mentioned to be careful with slugs cause if they don't fit you can mess up your gun.

I currently have these slugs.

[​IMG]

Upon checking my barrel I see this below on the side. Would this mean the fixed barrel choke is a cylinder sized choke? And if so, can slugs be fired safely from them?

I'd rather be safe than sorry which is why i'm asking.

[​IMG]

Gun in question:

[​IMG]

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Any markings or paperwork that say "shot only"?

cyl = cylndrical=smooth bore.

Rifled slugs. No sabot.

3. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

The chokes are sized difrent to choke buck shot or bird when shot to hold a tight pattern at further distances, you shotgun in question has a cylinder bore which means the tube stays the same diameter all the way down. yes you can fire slugs in it, and buck and bird etc. all the fixed part means is it does not have a choke system in it. you are good to fire whatever you want though it. below is a chart of shotgun chokes to give you a idea of how they work. the smallest choke you would wana fire a slug in is a improved cylinder bore as any choke smaller would catch the slug. so long story short, yes you can fire slugs, just make sure they are rifled slugs not sabot slugs.

Attached Files:

4. MGH

MGH New Member

I have the same gun but with a removable choke.

Can I just take off the choke and shoot slugs?

5. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

No, you will screw your threads up, switch to a cyl or imp cyl choke for shooting slugs.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

While I dont recommend shooting slugs through a full choke, the rifling on rifled slugs is not there to impart spin. The rifling is to allow the slug to swage through a choked shotgun. The hollow base stabilizes the slug. You can shoot rifled slugs through a choke but not solid slugs, pumpkin balls or saboted slugs. Saboted slugs will go through a smooth bore but the accuracy will suffer. The were designed for shotguns with riffled barrels.

7. MGH

MGH New Member

Si I did a little looking around and I think the choke that came with my 870 is cyl. The Remington site says it's a "Extended Ported Tactical Rem Choke"
    Can anyone verify that it is cyl?

8. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

MGH, take the choke out and look at it. Somewhere down on the threaded part it should be stamped as to what choke size it is.

9. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Your gun does not have any kind of choke at all,that's what cylinder means,you can shoot anything through it,but if I were you I would just go with Remington slugs because they fit tighter than some and you will get better accuracy.Don't expect much with buck or bird any further than 15-20 yards,but slugs(especially Remington)will do alright out to 100 yards or so.

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

James,

The guys are correct! You can shoot anything you want out of it! Without damaging anything! Other than Dynamite!!! Shot or Slugs. As stated some slugs will shoot better than others. It would be good for 00 also for self defense as well as bird hunting at close range with bird shot. Like quail hunting at close range for example.

11. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Thanks guys. Are the Remington Slugs the Sluggers? I am considering them in 2 3/4 either the 1560 FPS or 1680 FPS. I'm shooting at an indoor range which is 50' tomorrow. I picked up some birdshot in Winchester Super X 100rd #7 1/2, Winchester Super X #4, Remington #6, and some Remington 00 Buck. I'm going to pick up some Federal 100rd #7 1/2 to compare to the high brass Winchester.

I have a 100 yard range that I believe I can only shoot slugs at. I basically bought different size shot to see the difference between each. Having never shot a shotgun before I figure actually trying it for myself is the best way to see what type of patterns I get at different ranges.

I am worried about shooting too far out and having the birdshot hit the target holder, steel cable, or targets in the next lane to me.

What max range should I try the birdshot at when shooting at paper about 30" in width and 42" high?

EDIT: Actually you can see the range in my avatar photo to the left. That target is about 20' out there and that is the average size of paper I shoot.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Pattern size will vary depending on choke, and the type of shot (steel/ lead) and the shot cup/ piston sued in that shell. For a cylinder bore, a ROUGH rule of thumb is 1 inch per yard of flight- or about 16 inches at 50 feet.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Make sure the range will allow you to shoot shot shells before you go. We get upset when shot gunners tear up out target stands. Shotgun ranges will have patterning boards for testing shot patterns.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

30"X42"?.In my experience birdshot or buckshot in my 18.5" Rem 870 cyl bore will cover that big of an area within about 25 yards,so I would say stay 25 yards or less from the target with birdshot or buckshot if you don't want to hit your neighbor's target.As far as hitting a target holder with birdshot from 25 yards,don't worry about that,birdshot won't do anything to a metal target holder,heck it won't even go through a half inch of plywood at that range,buckshot could still do some damage to a holder at 25 yards(possibly)