Slug Loads

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by mmszbi, Jun 20, 2011.

1. mmszbi

mmszbi New Member

I've had about 50lbs of ingots laying around for quite some time and was able to borrow a pot and 7/8 Lee slug die. So now instead of ingots, I've got a bunch of slugs to get loaded up.
    Not much information here on slug loads so I thought I would put it out to you all.
    I will be loading Win AA hulls, WT12 wads, Win 209 primers. Any recommendations on powders. I have several to choose from in the cabinet. I would like to hear your recipes.
    I have loaded many thousands of trap loads, just never done slugs.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Are these the "key drive" Lee slugs? If so, I have never heard of anyone getting decent results from these in any load.

3. oli700

oli700 New Member

4. robocop10mm

I chose the Lyman 7/8 oz Foster slug mold because of the negative comments on the "key drive" Lee's.

Several who attended the Meet and Greet in Ft. Worth can attest to the accuracy of these. 20 consecutive shots in an 8 1/2 " X 14" sheet of paper at 100 yards, off hand.

5. oli700

oli700 New Member

well since I havent bought the mold yet I'm open to suggestion. How are you loading them ? Smooth bore ? I hear good and bad about both companies honestly.

6. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The Lee Key Slug is intended for use in rifled barrels. We use the Lee Key 1oz slugs in sawed of 97s and Mdl 12 smooth bores. They shoot Damn good at 50 and 100 yds. I cast these with WW alloy and load HS6 Powder. :D

7. mmszbi

mmszbi New Member

I appreciate the editorial replys that do nothing towards answering my request. Very helpful.

8. robocop10mm

You are absolutely right. I prefer Blue Dot for my heavier 12 ga loads. In buckshot and slug loads it gives very high velocities. It is not one of the newer "trendy" powders. It is an older work, horse powder.