Slipjoints!

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Franciscomv, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

They aren't really weapons, but I think this is probably the best subforum for them.

I just love a nice slippie with bone handle and carbon steel blades, they are such an exquisite tool. Thin blades ground to a razor sharp edge, materials that age beautifuly and the charm of a past long gone.

I like modern folding knives, new steels and strong locks but I haven't found a single modern knife that I enjoy more than a well worn trapper or even a lowly sodbuster.

Honestly, the only reason why I could need a lock on a knife is for SD. When using them as a tool I can't remember a single time in my life when I wished for a lock on a slippie. I always have a fixed blade knife nearby, and know the limits of my pocket knife, so that might be part of the reason.

They aren't tacticool, and most of mine won't turn any heads at a knife show, but they are still my favourite. Here are a few that I use often. Most of them are from Case, with a couple of customs and other assorted brands mixed in.

Share yours! I'm sure we've got a few old timers around here with some nice pocket knives.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From top to bottom the knives are:
    -Custom by Diego Atwell based on the knife found of the body of George Mallory. Stag handle, 52100 steel blade. There's filework on the backspring and the whole thing is just a mechanical wonder. Love it. English lambsfoot knives are my absolute favourite.

-Schrade 219 (Peanut Jack), this one was given to me as a gift. It's a few decades old but it was mint in box. Since I've got no safe queens I sharpened it up and tossed it in my pocket. Lovely knife, excellent old American craftsmanship.

-Case Trapper (amber bone handle, CV blades). One of my all time favourites (yes, I've got a ton of favourites!). It was one of the first carbon steel pocket knives I bought.

-Imperial TL29 (electrician's knife). Another gift from the same fine gentleman that sent me the Schrade. I've been carrying it since I got it. It's really great, very useful and comfortable in my hands. I like that it has a lock on the screwdriver but not on the knife blade.

-Case Sodbuster Jr. (CV blade). A great working knife, an American Opinel of sorts. Simple, well built, affordable. There's something about that obnoxious yellow handle that really appeals to me.

-Case Penknife (CV blades). This is one of my most used small knives. It's really sheeple friendly (especially the smaller blade), but the larger blade is still big enough for most urban cutting. It's so slim and light that I just forget it's in my shirt pocket.

-Great Eastern Cutlery Scout (1095 blades and jigged bone handle). GEC is a new company (I think they started in 2006 or 2007) that's producing some excellent knives. They offer them in both 1095 and 440C, I'm partial to 1095 because I like the patina it gets with use.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Really. Just how many knives do you have, my good fellow? Do you have an accurate count?

4. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

I have been a knife collector for more years than I care to admit and specialize in antique bone handled folders. I only have a couple of the newer "combat folders". When the youth of our nation want to see my knife they are stunned and look quizical at my bone handle old knife. I try to explain the attributes of my preferences but it just doesnt soak in. They say you cant kill anyone with one of my knives! These are the same young kids dont think they built any guns except black plastic autos. The history of the folding knife is so long that it cant be traced. It is known that Aristotle made a folding knife for his personal use. I have many antique folders in my collection including one from the 1770's. When I run my hand over these I close my eyes and wonder where they have been and what they have done.

5. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I stopped counting after I got to 400, that was some years ago. :D Most of them are outdoors tools with lots of fond memories, they make me feel closer to my mountains when trapped in the city.

That's great! I'm more of an accumulator than a true collector, I pretty much ruin the value of any knife that I get my hands on by using it. Is there any chance you could post some pics? I'd love to see some of those.

6. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I would love to see a pic of the one from the 1770's as well as some of your others. You have a captivated audience!

7. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I have about 40 case knives and a few older kissing crane knives. It's hard to do better than one of those if you want/need a good pocket knife. I need to snap a pic or two of them for here;)

Some real pretty ones in the pics so far :)

8. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Well, not quite 40 but here they are. Most are Case I've picked up here and there. There's a few older ones but most are newer ones. There are a couple Hen & Rooster and Kissing Crane folders. I got a couple pretty nice German Kissing Crane Stiletto knives in there too.
    [​IMG]

I like knives like this for every day use. I have some lock blade knives too but Most of those sit in a drawer. You can't beat the good steel they use in a Case knife.

I'd love to see those 1700's knives...man what history. I can only imagine....

9. 30-30remchester

Old Case and old Remingtons are great collectors knives and many are in my collection. However there are some other brands from the early 1900's that have unsurpassede quality as well. A few to keep your eyes open for are, New York Knife Co, Honk Falls , Holley, Winchester, Union Cultery are just a few. I will get my wife to photo some. Im glad Im not the last fan of the classic folders.

10. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Nice collection! There's some lovely bone in there. I'm quite fond of Case knives for EDC as well, although I only use CV ones. I don't care for their stainless, I wish they offered something a bit better than their Tru Sharp (which is just 420). I've got a couple in better stainless steels, but they are all from limited runs.

11. 30-30remchester

Some Older Folders

Below are a few of my foulders. I added some non bone handled to show some variety. I have to apologize for not showing my 1770's knife, I thought I had it when I went to the safety deposit box where I keep them. When I return these I will look for it.

[​IMG]

Top knife down:
    1. Hank Falls Long Pull 1921-1939
    2. John Primble 1940-1968 Bar Shield
    3. Dixon Cutlery Co. 1920
    4. Kabar Union Cut Co. c1930 Match Striker Pull Blackbone Handle Bomb Shield
    5. Clean Cut 1884-1912 Hawkbill

[​IMG]

1. Press Button Knife Co. Tourtoise Shell Handles
    2. Keen Kutter by Winchester Splitback Whittler 1920-1940
    3. New York Knife Co. Long Pull Cattle Knife 1846-1931
    4. Geo Schrade Presto Knife with Orange & Black Striped Handles 1929-1956

[​IMG]

1. Remington R6333 Long Pull 1920-1939
    2. Remington Premium Knife Long Pull 1920-1939
    3. New York Knife Co. Long Pull 1856-1931 Bow Tie Shield
    4. Schrade Cutlery Co. Easy Opener 1904-1946 Propellar Shield
    5. Case XX Long Pull Stockman with Punch Blade 1940-1964
    6. Case XX Slim Trapper 1940-1964
    7. Roberson Suredge

[​IMG]

1. American Knife Co. Ivory Handles 1840-1870
    2. Challenger Cut Co. Warncliffe Blade 1867-1928
    3. Hibbard Spencer & Bartlett Long Pull Jumbo Cattle Knife 1855-1960
    4. Blish Hardware Co. Large Camp Knife Goldstone Handles Buffalo Shield 1871 -Present

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  12. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

Beautiful knives! I love the way bone and carbon steel age. If only they could talk.

This one's my favourite:
    Exquisite pattern, the long nail nicks and the swedges are beautiful. The handle is lovely as well. And I'm a sucker for anything that combines a sheepfoot blade and an awl!

13. 30-30remchester

That one is a favorite of mine as well. The Case XX long pull stockman has a sheepsfoot and awl as well. Those were just a few of my old knives I have collected for years. I have some that are well worn yet taken well care of. I have a stag handled Case XX trapper that has been carried so long that the stag handles are worn smooth, as if they had been sanded down. The blades are 1/3rd sharpened away yet whoever owned this fine blade took exceptional care with it. If this could only talk. Heck if I just had the pocket change that wore that stag smooth I would be a rich man.

14. 30-30remchester

FRANCISCOMV, I am glad Im not alone in the knife world. A knife with bone stag handles, with a long pulled blade with double cut swedges, nickle bolsters and brass liners, and made of carbon steel, makes my heart skip a beat like the first time I saw my future wife in her bikini. I have a saying I live by, it goes like this: If it doesnt have a bone handle, If it doesnt have a long pull blade, If it doesnt have a nickle shield or bolsters, If it doesnt have brass lines, and if it doesnt rust, then it doesnt go into my pocket. My current carry knife is a well worn 1930's Wards premium stockman with all the above traits. This is a contract knife I believe was built by Winchester. Do you have others than you can share with the forum?

15. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I'll try to add some pics when I get home tonight, I don't have any slippies with real collector value, just current production ones that I enjoy using. But I'll post them.