Sling swivels on a CZ Coach Gun

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Popgun, May 17, 2015.

1. Popgun

Popgun New Member

I purchased a CZ open hammer coach gun a few years ago and now would like to mount a sling on it. There seems to be a couple of options for mounting the butt end; drilled swivel directly into the stock or a leather boot. The upper end of the strap is much more iffy. Mounting to the metal between the barrels, I understand, is not a good option. A leather strap around the barrels would obscure aiming and possibly mar the finish. What about drilling and mounting a sling stud into the fore-arm wood? The possible problem I see is that the fore-arm is easily removable, attached only by a steel hook and lever, is it strong enough to support a sling without popping off the barrel while being carried?

Have any of you had good or bad experiences with this method, or do you have any other recommendations? I would appreciate your thoughts and advice.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

the old english double rifles used for african hunting often had a sling point on the fore-end.

long as the sling is used only for carrying it is not an issue.

screwing in the rear point o the stock is viable so is a boot.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

My humble opinion would be to not attach to the snap-on snap-off forearm. A strap around the barrels or a custom made clamp-on that attaches to the barrels would be two options that I would recommend just off the top of my head.

4. Popgun

Popgun New Member

Thanks for the advice. I was hoping I could find someone who had dealt with the issue with a similar firearm and had success (or even failure) but I still appreciate your comments.

Though I think I could make a successful attachment of a sling to the wood forearm grip, if the wood ever split under the stress or the clamp inadvertently released It could do some serious damage to my gun. So the two safe options seem to be a leather loop or a custom-made swivel clamped to the barrels sides. For me the leather loop is a poor option because with a sxs your aim is right down on the barrels. Anything that comes over the top of the barrels would obscure my aim. A custom made front swivel mount that attached only to the outward sides of the two barrels and clamped underneath seems doable. I'm thinking that a well equipped gunsmith shop would be the most able to mill-out such parts for me. Do you have any recommendations for a smith with the equipment to make parts like these? And, what would you think a reasonable price would be for such a part.

Thanks again for your input

5. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

6. Popgun

Popgun New Member

What I understand is that the under rib is only soldered into place and can pull away pretty easily. Parts that require strength like the forearm hook are brazed on to the barrels so they won't come loose.

I'm now considering going to a tactical style single point or 1 point sling assembly attached to the gun through a loop around the trigger grip. The gun could then be carried barrels down when needed for hands free (luckily the barrels are plenty short enough). It's not the best option, but it will be better than other sling options imao.

Thanks for all of your comments on this subject

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

just a curiosity question, why do you want a sling on a double shotgun??