sling Recommendarions

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by JeffCooper, Oct 15, 2011.

1. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

I need a sling for my new build AR-15. The local gun shop didn't have much to choose from so here I am. Recommendations on something I can order? My AR has standard loops...like n my tapco butt stock. appreciate the help!

2. Bidah

Bidah New Member

For a high power type, I love the turner saddelry slings. Especially the synthetic ones.

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Pretty hard to beat the VTAC or VCAS two point slings. They're very similar combat versions. I chose the VTAC mainly because my favorite local shop had a good price, $37 I think. Excellent and flexible sling however no doubt the Vickers would be great as well. Neither works well mounted to the bottom of the rifle.

4. sgttessnc

sgttessnc New Member

I love single point slings. If you change out your end plate you can mount one. I recommend the Magpul MS2, its amazing and switches to a two point in seconds. married with a Magpul ASP its great.

video demonstration

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5nOt2pSySY]AR15.Com 2009 SHOT Show - Magpul - YouTube[/ame]

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I agree w/ Quentin.

I tried the Magpul sling (the 1st version) and wasn't real impressed. The padded BlueForce spoiled me.

6. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I've got a Specter Gear 2 Point and really like it. Adjusts easily enough, is comfortable and reasonably priced, but if I had it to do over again, I would go with one of the Vickers slings, and it would probably be the Cobra sling. I prefer my slings to have some sort of quick release buckle, and I really like the riggers buckles. While the cobra is pretty expensive, it's worth it in my opinion.

And on a side note after watching the Magpul video, there is no doubt in my mind that Chris Costa (or whatever his name is) is a badass. The man has definitely forgotten more about firearms and gun fighting than I could ever hope to learn, but I don't see why he feels the need to do all those manipulations so fast, with pauses in between the separate motions. If you wanna demonstrate something, then do it slow where normal people could actually see and understand what's happening. There is a time to do those sorts of things quickly, but a demo is not one of them. To me, it kind of makes him look like a bag.

-Fred

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

ill second that!! nothing beats the turner synthetic leather sling. it doesnt stretch its water proof and the sling holes dont stretch from putting pressure on the sling.

8. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

Gents, I appreciate your expertise and guidance. I went with this one to start. I thought the pull tab and easy adjustment would be good for my beginner-ness. Special edition, I guess:

Viking Tactics, Inc.

I suspect this won't be my last sling. :)

Now I gotta figure out how to strap it on with my MOE that I want to add some rail to. New topic.

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

SKip the rails and go w/ IWC's mounting solutions. They have everything you'll need for the MOE handguard and stock.

Flashlight Mount
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flush QD Sling Attachment
    [​IMG]

10. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

Very cool. I'll check it out for sure. Appreciate the tip!

I do need a piece of rail for the bottom though. I bought a magpul angled foregrip thingamajobber

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Couldn't agree more, the MOUNT-N-SLOT is a great solution and only about $15.

12. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Try a thumb over grip on the MOE before ordering the AFG. You might decide you like the HG w/o the AFG.

I started out w/ AFGs and now am back to no grip. There seems to me more control over the weapon w/ the thumb over grip.

I've also found that the only MOE long enough to get a proper hold is the rifle length version. I feel cramped using the other 2 lengths and even more so when using a AFG on them.

Plus it's added weight.

Of course YMMV.

13. Glasshartt

Glasshartt New Member

Check out Sling Dynamics

14. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

Welp... I bought the angled dangle thang from my LGS already. I can't wait to try it because I just worked up the sack to buy it. I don't expect it to be a final shooting solution. Damn, I just can't stay away from the LGS.

Thumb over grip? Can I assume that's as simple as it sounds?

Sling dynamics..Hmmm, Linda. I'm eyeballing that three point. I like the sound of those.

15. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

This was the best thing I could find at the moment. For us w/o IR lasers the fingers actually wrap around the rail/handguard. The thumb ends up on top of the rail pointing forward toward the target.

I've been through all sorts of changes and this is the one I prefer. It really helps stabalize the weapon.

It did feel funny as heck for a while though.

Magpul Dynamics: The Art of the Tactical Carbine - Grips - YouTube

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  16. Sniper75

Sniper75 New Member

Here check these guys out they have some pretty cool stuff and one of the best sling set ups that I have seen

www.aresarmor.com

Huskey Amentum Slider Sling

17. JeffCooper

JeffCooper New Member

Dang, is that guy a member of the "who has the most toys on an AR"? What IS all that stuff? I've got an a2 front sight and a mbus. But I'm wantin

Excellent grip vid... I will try that one on for sure! Thanks again!

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I use a Magpul 3 point sling,love it

semper paratus...virtute et armis