slight cylinder movement?

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by old fart, Mar 6, 2012.

1. old fart

old fart New Member

i just got a new sp101, when i check cylkinder lockup it has a very slight play in the cylinder. its the same and consistant on all chambers, i called ruger they said if its slight play that it was normal. the barrel to chamber is perfect when checked. is it ok to have slight movement in the cylinder?, as i said it barely moves but does. thanks

2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

They all have some play, I worried about that with my first revolver too. If you are still unsure, take you boss out shooting and let him fire it first.

3. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

It will have a very slight amount of movement, not to worry. About the only time you won't have movement (tight lock-up), will be on expensive custom revolvers, or high-end factory stuff from the custom shop...

Jim...........

4. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

At the throat of the barrel in a pistol it has a forcing cone which acts like a funnel when there is slight misalignment.

Here is the forcing cone of my S&W 686.
    [​IMG]
    Notice the taper.

I made a short video to better display the forcing cone's dimensions in relation to the bullet.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDepuCrUpxs"]Forcing Cone[/ame]
    Excuse the bad quality webcam video, my digital camera died.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

This allows the gun to still be reliable when hot and or dirty. Super tight lock up on some Pythons can lead to malfunctions when the gun is not PERFECTLY clean.

6. old fart

old fart New Member

i fired the sp101 today, didn't spit any that i could tell. accuracy was quite good at 7yds, my wife said she couldn't see any thing coming from the cylinder to barrel gap. which reminds me the gap is very close, can't see much light at lockup between barrel and cylinder. but i'm fine with that i don't shoot alot at one time anyhow. thanks

7. Ledbetter84

Ledbetter84 New Member

Thanks for the vid! Wondered what that was on
    my 686