Slide serrations

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Gun Looney, Aug 25, 2007.

1. You loooove them

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. You're neutral on the subject

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. You hate them

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. They're of the Devil

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Gun Looney

Gun Looney New Member

Front slide serrations seem to be here to stay. They started out as "must have" in the competition world, and have evolved into a standard factory options on all but the most basic 1911s. I'll be honest-----------I HATE THEM! Now that I've influenced the voters, what are your feelings.:D

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  2. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

Front Cocking serrations :

They are the safest way over placing your hand over the ejection port...until the live round you are extracting goes off !

We put front cocking serrations on brand new SIGS and GLOCKS...action shooters want them !

Not for every shooter, but functional !:rolleyes:

3. Gun Looney

Gun Looney New Member

I realize there is still some demand for them, but other than the action shooters I'm curious how many folks want 'em because they use 'em vs. because the "look cool." They look horrid to me, but that's me.

Could you clarify what you were referring to about the hand being over the ejection port while ejecting a live round?

How much of this chamber checking is just nervous figiting by the competitors? If loading the chamber from a dedicated magazine, it's obvious that the chamber is loaded when the magazine comes out with one less round, and to make the gun range safe the slide can be locked back.

Also, what's so tricky about the "slingshot" method of pulling the slide back? It's not hard to do while pointing the gun safely down range.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

serrations

To me they are a way to make chamber checking easier. If you trust the one less round in the magazine method you are are trusting your life to math. I was never very good at math.

5. Gun Looney

Gun Looney New Member

I'm no good at Trig and Algebra anymore, but basic single digit subtraction I can still handle. My TLE also has the chamber indicator notch so I can spy the rim of the cartridge while chambered.

If all else fails, there's still the slingshot method too.

6. Gun Looney

Gun Looney New Member

I can't believe there aren't more 1911 folks weighing in on this one.....

7. BIGSAM

BIGSAM New Member

I have them on my PT1911 and I think they look great.
    I wouldn't say they are a "must have" but I think they do look sharp.

8. Jay

Jay New Member

I always know how many rounds are in my firearms. I don't care for front slide serrations. They would serve no functional purpose for me, and I'm not impressed with their looks.

9. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

MY 2 Kopecks,
    They are unneeded and are simply present to tear up holster and so that action shooters have another "pretty" on their gun.

10. Gun Looney

Gun Looney New Member

My sentiments exactly, and to my eyes they're ugly and mess up the clasic lines of the 1911, just as if I could afford a Ferrari, I wouldn't bolt a diamondplate toolbox to the trunk lid. Yeah, it's practical as hell for storage, but.....

11. Doc

Doc New Member

I waited an extra month to get my gun from Wilson without them.

12. Doc

Doc New Member

I went looking for a new full size 1911 without the front serration's, couldn't find one. Didn't buy one. Had one made.

Doc

13. Gun Looney

Gun Looney New Member

Good for you Doc. Someday when I've got the money set aside for another spendy toy, I'm going the same route you did, with Baer, RR, Wilson or NH filling the order. My Kimber TLE came with 'em and I decided that as bad as they are, the pistol had enough going for it to overlook them (like that's possible) for the price. My TLE is my only 1911 with front serrations though------and I hate them daily.