Slide release issue...

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by psymmonds, Aug 27, 2012.

1. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

I just got my m&p40 a few days ago, and my slide release is very stiff. I have to use both my hands to push it down. Is this normal, and is there a fix to make it smoother. Hopefully all it needs is oil... Mind you i am not weak. I have played with an m&p40 before and this was not a problem. Assistance much appreciated

2. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

We were taught to simply pull the slide rearward and let it snap forward on its own power.

That method works better for me personally.

But I think your slide release may just be stiff. If it doesn't loosen up in time, perhaps see your 'smith?

3. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

It moves just fine by itself. It's just when the slide is back. I think it may be because of the spring tension forced on the one point makes it stiff possibly binding. But it's not that big of a deal because I can just pull the slide back. I really was just wondering if it's normal or how to make it move more freely

4. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

StoneCat is correct! You should teach yourself to do what is called and hand over loading and function technique with the weak hand. For example if you are right handed you simply with the slide locked back and a full magazine in the pistol. Cup your hand over the top of the slide palm down with your fingers on the right side of the slide and your thumb against the left side of the slide in front of the rear sight. *And with your thumb facing to the rear then simply squeeze your hand pull the slide back slightly and let it (Fly Forward) loading the top round from your magazine. You need to learn this technique since in a crucial loading situation when fine motor skills go to H---! You could have problems finding the slide release anyway. StoneCat is dead on with his advise! So even though the Slide Release will work smother in time we do not suggest using it for loading!;)

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

all the new sr9's ive held have been this way very hard to press...but to me its nothing because ive trained myself to pull the slide rearward by using the over hand way. its universal. no matter what pistol you have you rack the slide back and it will load, or clear a jam the same everytime. there is a lot to be said about muscle memory. so back to the point. yes the slide stop is probly just tight because its new.. my opionion as if you should use it to release the slide. i think you should try to train the other way... but thats just me

6. psymmonds

psymmonds New Member

Hmm never thought of it that way. That's a good point and I'll start training myself that way. Thanks for the info

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

no problem. once i heard it, it made since to me so i did it.. before i always used the slide stop. now its great cause any pistol i grab i can do it to.. hehe.

8. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I agree releasing the slide with slide stop is for the movies. You should always rack the slide with your weak hand.

9. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I call it a slide catch, this way I use it to lock it not to release it. :)

Even when I'm doing a dry run with the pistol I use it while still pulling the slide back... 2nd nature.

10. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth New Member

The catch on my new 9 shield is very stiff. I didn't notice it cause I had pulled the slide back as mentioned by others.
    I only have shot 103 rounds with it.
    A friend that knew I had just bought the gun wanted to check it out. I cleared the weapon and handed it to him with slide open. He tried his hardest to use the slide release button an it took him a few tries. I told him I always rack by slightly pulling back on slide and letting it go. I had no idea this was the "correct" method. He acted like I should do it his way. I blew it off and now I have confirmation of my common sense.

I have noticed even over the last 10 minutes before this post that it loosened up quite a bit by actually using it. I would prefer it to be a more positive catch than easily releasable so I stopped messing around and holstered my weapon.

11. cvia

cvia New Member

I just got a M&p 40 last month and the slide release is super tight. I just pull on the slide to rack a round.

12. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

As a matter of fact, Glock pistols are designed to be released with the over hand grab, not the slide catch. Since many duty pistols have taken design cues from glock, it pretty much works with them as well. Only gun I couldn't chamber by grabbing the rear of the slide was a px4 storm....so I sold it.

13. Corndork2

Corndork2 New Member

The Slide Stop on my M&P .40 Full size started out very stiff. After 500 rounds and a good clean and lube it loosened up. Its still very stout, but is much easier to manipulate. It will most likely break in over time, or you'll just get used to it.... maybe a beneficial combination of the two :)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  14. kodiak

kodiak Member

As mentioned, It's a slide stop, not a slide release.

15. gni552

gni552 New Member

Once it breaks in it will release with one thumb

16. sirbergersworth

On my shield, the take down lever is harder to manipulate than my slide stop

17. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Just checked my M&P40, the slide stop is very difficult to release with my thumb. Never knew that cause I always rack the slide as others have mentioned. It's a good habit.

18. frank7777

frank7777 New Member

I am wondering about cocked and locked on aM&P shield. When I carry my 1911 it is the best way

19. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

So on my new m&p9 I can't use the pulling the slide back technique. I've tried and it won't slide forward unless I disengage the slide stop. Mine is super stiff as well hence why I tried pulling the slide but for some reason it won't ram home without pressing the slide catch.

20. sirbergersworth

How many rounds have you put through it?
    Try putting 100 rounds of some 145ish grain ammo. That seems to break in a 9mm pretty fast.
    My slide stop on my shield was a bear at first, as was the take down lever.