Slide problems on xd sc .40

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by springfield, Nov 24, 2011.

1. springfield

springfield New Member

I've got a xd subcompact .40 cal I've had it for 5+ years and have ran at least 2-3000 rounds through it never had any problems aside from a couple of rounds not wanting to chamber. Recently though on a trip to the range after installing a efk fire dragon ported barrel I had a little problem with the slide not wanting to open all the way and eject a live round. I pulled the slide it only went back about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch let it forward and pulled again it opened fine. Inspected the gun all seemed fine continued shooting no probs. Went home changed out barrel to stock feeling that the new barrel was not sutBle for carry until more round through it at range. But have had it now happen with the stock barrel when cleaning and reassemble. Has anyone had this prob or heard of it and or have a fix? And yes I had the grip safety fully engaged and always keep a clean firearm. Any help would be much appreciated

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

check your guide rod. it may be slightly bent. roll it on a flat surface. not saying thats the issue just a possibility. the lip of the portion that contacts the base of the barrel could be bent too.

but that many rounds if its still got the original spring it needs a new spring.

3. springfield

springfield New Member

Guide rod appears to be straight.

4. john_bud

john_bud New Member

Interesting. Not an issue I've heard of.

We can assume that you have already stripped the gun down an inspected the slide, barrel, guide rod, mags and rails for signs of abnormal pressure / rubbing -- yes?

I would take the barrel out and see how the slide alone feels on the rails. Then would closely inspect the mags to see if there is a conflict there. My best guess is that there is an issue with the guide rod. The ones of that design are not eternal and they can wear out. A call to SA may shine more light on the cause / solution -- but may require shipping the gun in.

5. springfield

springfield New Member

I believe I have figured out the Problem. I placed dummy rounds in a mag and slowly racked the slide and every so often a round seems to drop out of the extractor enough to catch on the lip of the next rounds shell causing the problem to occur. I inspected the extractor closer and it does appear to be a little worn out. I'm gonna replace and see if that fixes the problem