slide on P95 not working

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by bleak23, Jun 29, 2009.

1. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

I haven't fired this gun yet, but when I pull back the slide, it fails to load one in the chamber. The slide gets stuck all the way back and I have to push/force the slide to close. I've tried about six times with two different loads (one JHP, one FMJ).

Is this something that will work its way out after firing normally? It should just work, shouldn't it? Would disassembly and a lube fix it? Thanks.

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Can you post a pic of the problem?

Try also to post a pic of the recoil guide and spring assembly, please.

I'm thinking you may have a "lemon" and you will need to get it replaced from Ruger.

3. WDB

WDB New Member

Pictures would be a big help. It could be as simple as needing a cleaning or a mag feed issue. Is the pistol new or used?

4. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

The gun is brand new. Bought from Bud's Guns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do these pics help? Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  6. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

I'm just a novice and can't name all of the parts. I'm not at home to look at my P85 manual, but I have something to look for. During disassembly, you reach into the top of the open slide and flip a part down kind of over the magazine well. If you forget to flip that back up, it might not feed bullets from the magazine. Just a thought. I'll try to get names for components tomorrow, when I have access to my owner's manual.

7. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

I'm thinking from your pictures that it might have a problem in the area underneath the rear of your slide assembly (near the back of the weapon where the sear is - or someplace where you can't see). Probably a defect is causing the slide to bind up somewhere. You may have a lemon on your hands, and I would advise taking it back to Ruger (or a gunsmith) for repair/replacement.

(P.S. This is just my personal opinion. Take it to a gunsmith or send it back to Ruger for a professional look)

Normally, the Ruger's slide is very easy to operate, and it will chamber rounds rather effortlessly.

DO NOT FIRE IT!!!!!!!

8. Scrapper

Scrapper New Member

\

When I reassembled my Uncle's p95 it did this. It looks that stupid little mag catch lever-thingee was in the wrong position when it got assembled (read: I screwed it up). Needed a gunsmith's attention to fix it.

This looks like a similar issue. hard to tell though.

9. WDB

WDB New Member

+1 on this advice.

I see nothing in the pictures that jumps out causing the problem. If it's new let Ruger make it right. It's a truly good pistol made by a quality manufacturer. I don't know what there turn around time is like as I've never had to send a pistol in for work and I own a P93, P94 and a P95. You might want to take it to a local Gunsmith and for a few bucks I expect they can tell you exactly what the issue is. Please keep us in the loop and let us know what the issue is.

As expressed DO NOT FIRE THE PISTOL!!!! until you know what the issue is and have it corrected.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  10. WDB

WDB New Member

I checked this on my P95, if you forget to flip the lever back up when you put a mag in the mag well the lever returns to the proper position. Also you can see in 4th & 5th picture the lever is in the proper position.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  11. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

Thanks for the support y'all. I wrote to Ruger today. Waiting to hear back. I may take it to the gun shop tomorrow.

If I have to send it to back to Ruger, does that mean I'll have to pay another FFL fee when they send it back? Or can they just send it to me directly?

What a pain in the ass. It seems like nothing goes right sometimes. :mad:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  12. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

I got it back today. Not a bad turnaround time. It says they repaired the ejector and extractor. I'm sure they test fired it a bunch of times.

It cycled half a clip alright, so it's looking good.

Thanks again for all y'alls help! :D

13. WDB

WDB New Member

Good to hear Bleak,
    All the same a half mag isn't enough to feel alright with the fix. Put at least 100 rounds through it and then you will know if the issue is fixed.

14. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

Well, I *finally* took this gun to the range today. I fired in this order...

100 rounds Winchester crap with 1 jam.
    100 rounds Federal crap with 1 jam.
    50 rounds Winchester Ranger 9mm NATO 124gr FMJ with no jams.

Since I was mostly interested in finding out if the gun works without problems, I wasn't too concerned about accuracy. But I will say this. I started off pretty darn accurate with the walmart Winchesters with some tight little groups at 7 yards. The Federals were off mostly. Down and to the left. The Nato was a little better but I think I was getting tired this being my first time out in many, many years. I shot the last twenty rounds of NATO at 10 yards and it was all over the place. I am strongly desiring to take a CHL class when I get the money.

So is this gun a keeper? With 2 jams in 250 rounds, accuracy notwithstanding due to an inexperienced shooter. What is your verdict, please?

edit: I invested in a nice KleenBore cleaning kit and will give it the once over. I really want to make it work for me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  15. WDB

WDB New Member

I'd keep it. The P95 is a fine pistol and will last fovever. The few jams may be attributed to the pistol being new. I can't recall the last jam I had in my P95 or any of my P series for that matter.

16. bleak23

bleak23 New Member

Yes, she's a keeper. Two misfire's ain't really nothing, is it. Especially when using cheap rounds. And Ruger customer service was great. Two weeks is fast compared to other stories I've read.

I just bought a Galco holster and belt. Have to wait 2-3 weeks for them though.