Slide action vs. Revolving action PDW

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by GlockUSA, Jan 13, 2012.

1. GlockUSA

GlockUSA New Member

So I just posted a thread about the most reliable carry weapon. Now I want yall opinions on what is better a revolver or a slide action. I am starting a debate. I like revolvers for their undying dependablity but I don't like the low number of rounds. I like slide action as well but I want a point counter point discussion in this because I am truly interested in know what more people will choose and why

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I prefer revolvers myself, but I've been issued the M9, and intend to get a 1911 soon. I've shot many revolvers and semis, but

have never shot a 1911, so I'll weigh back in in a month or so. Hopefully I'll have something good to report on a new 1911.
    I like GLOCKs, but there are more cons than pros for me, like with the M9. No since in having a gun I don't like.

Edit, it is the functionality of the GLOCK, along with the accuracy I can achieve with it. Absolutely HATE the grip angle and can't really stand to shoot it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

3. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

I will take a slide action auto. More firepower, in a smaller, lighter package. I think the argument that revolvers are more reliable than autos is over rated and not entire accurate. The argument has been tainted by various low quality, poor performing autos out there. Yes, a poorly made auto is going to perform poorly next to a revolver. But a high quality auto, in good repair, is every bit as reliable as a revolver.

4. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I agree...quality of the gun is what determines the reliability. My dad has a cheap revolver that you could load with 6 rounds, and still come out unscathed in a game of Russian roulette....

5. GlockUSA

GlockUSA New Member

You know I also agree. I have had semis that just sucked it up and I have had revolvers do the same. So let me ask a more focused question. Between the top ends of both world what would be your choice if you were do a survival trip for 2 weeks... Top end revolver or top end semi and why. And trust me I am asking for a good reason

6. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

Really depends... For ME, I tend towards SA's and striker pistols because I'm not very good with a revolver's DA trigger. I LOVE the trigger pull of a quality revolver when fired SA though.

However, in a survival situation, I wouldn't be overly enamored with the limited capacity of a revolver, yet I'd prob have to go with a .44 mag or 500 S&W. It will work for everything...hunting, defense, etc. (I wouldn't like it tho) :)

7. GlockUSA

GlockUSA New Member

Hmmm I think you have a point. I am a Striker fire guy myself that's one reason I love GLOCK. But ya the revolver seems to have much smaller of a chance to break or malfunction. I'll go revolver I think but I'm going with 357 mag

8. FaTmAn

FaTmAn New Member

I think i would have to choose the revolver, for a couple of reasons probably nothing less then then .44 mag

1 caliber if i want to get a round that will stop a bear i can get one pretty easily and i feel that your pretty limited with the semi auto's that i have seen or ever delt with.

2. if it comes to close quarter shooting like contact close i dont want to have to worry about putting the barrel onto the body and putting the gun out of battery

3. Imho you can shoot farther with a revolver so if i got to tag dinner at a greater distance i got that option.

That being said i carry semi auto all day everyday and love my glock so its hard for me to say that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  9. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Just curious, I dont have an M9 but why do you not like it? Thanks, Ed

10. phburks

phburks New Member

For me the question of reliability comes back to me asking myself "What happens if I pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang?" Even a high quality semi auto can jam or misfire. When that happens you can't just pull the trigger and fire off another round. You have to clear your chamber and get another round into it before you can shoot again. With a revolver, if it doesn't go "bang" you just pull the trigger again. If one bullet misfires, there's nothing to clear, you just pull that trigger and let the cylinder rotate to the next bullet. I love both types of gun, but sometimes those few seconds can make all the difference.

11. Paladin201

Paladin201 New Member

Not entirely true. With a SA/DA, like my Bersa, if you get a misfire, just pull the trigger again, same as you would in a revolver. Now true, that won't help if the round is a total dud. But I've never encountered that using quality ammo. Every instance where I've encountered a misfire, pulling the trigger again resolved the problem. Which is why I generally don't like striker fired guns that have to be in "half cock" before they can be fired. You do indeed only get one shot with them.

Also, there are many ways a revolver can fail to go bang where pulling the trigger again won't help either. I was at the range the other day with my brother in law. He had his 357 revolver. Two shots into his second load, the gun stopped on him. The cylinder wouldn't turn, no matter how hard he pulled on the trigger. In the mean time, my automatic was still kicking them out, one after another.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  12. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

If it's an ammo problem...that's really on you...not the weapon. If the revolver experiences a mechanical malfunction, that ain't goin' away by pulling the trigger again. Just my opinion. Like I said earlier...dad has a lower quality revolver that you could stuff the cylinder full of the BEST ammo available, and still have a better than 50/50 chance of coming out unscathed in a game of Russian roulette, so the reliability issue is entirely relative to the quality of the firearm, not the type.

And if it IS the ammo, the chances of nothing happening the second time you pull the trigger is the same as the first.

.....opinions

13. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

That a good point...I think Taurus and maybe others by now even have striker pistols that will hit a primer again, if it fails to go off.

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

I dont care for revolvers because if the action jams up due to ammo isues it takes tools and lots of time to clear it.

Any part in the revolver mechanism which is very complex, relies on very small delicate parts breaks your out of business. They arent nearly as simple as they are made out to be.

With an auto they can even lose the recoil spring aand its possible to still fire in single shot in an emergency. They have much more simple mechanisms towork it. If you get ammo failure that locks the action just rack the slide.

Self defense is all about hitting the badguy fast enough, and enough times to make him stop. Thats where revolvers really drop the ball in my opinion.

Revolvers are slow to get on target with follow up shots. They have no recripricating mass to absorb a good portion or the recoil energy. Yes ive seen jerry miculek(sp) shoot and reload his crazy way underpowered specially designed revolver but that isnt the norm. He cant fire an out of the box ruger or sw self defense 357 mag using self defense loads like that. The laws of physics wont allow it.

For me revolvers are a range gun nothing else. Ive got a colt python i love but i wouldnt carry it into the woods. Ive got a disposable xdm in 45acp for that.

15. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I understand your point, and it's well taken. But the question of a survival situation breaks down...for ME anyway...into two categories...defense, and taking game.

People do hunt with handguns...but they aren't shooting deer, etc with an XDm. Thats what I'm thinking about.

In a pinch, I'll take a top quality revolver for defense. Police in America did so for decades. Would I rather have a higher cap auto? Yup, sure would.

JMHO, though...

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

And "in well trained hands" most any auto malfunctions can be cleared In a matter of seconds. Should a revolver fail, yea I know it's unlikely, but your now holding a club that's going to need tools before it's back in action.

Auto or wheelgun the old saying still applies...

1 gun=none
    2 guns = 1
    ECT

Tack

17. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I carry a Sig P226 and never worry about it going "bang" when needed. It is maintained properly and only fed high quality defense rounds for CCW. Both of those are the keys to function.

I have also did a week and over a thousand rounds through that Sig without a single hiccup, just to be sure it was dependable. I once had a Gunny tell me if your semi can't do that, you have the wrong sidearm. That doesn't mean that I don't practice every malfunction that can happen with an auto, because Murphy has not left the building.

I sometimes carry an STI 1911 in 45acp. Same story, maintained and well fed combined with practice, practice, practice. I am at the range at least once a week, usually 2 or 3 times. I was at 500 rounds before I trusted the 1911 enough to carry it for defense. Yeah, I don't trust easy, guns or people.:(

Now in the great big bad wilderness, I'm carrying a Ruger Super Blackhawk loaded with .44mag 300grain XTP Hornady's with lots of spare ammo. That should stop most things and it is the pistol that I hunt whitetail with. And since I believe in belts and suspenders, I have the Sig P226 with a spare mag as well.

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Something to keep in mind: The military replaced revolvers with semi auto pistols (Colt 1911 45ACP) because they were more reliable under field conditions. They could have gone to a 45 caliber double action revolver but did not although they did issue some when supplies of 1911 pistols ran short.

19. trip286

trip286 New Member

Because the grip is so fat I can't hold onto it. Even though it's only a 9mm, I have to readjust my grip every 2 rounds or so. I like the gun, and if I could properly grip it, I'd have one. There is a single stack version that has a smaller grip, but the capacity of an M9 full size is part of the appeal to me. I know there are after market grips all over the place for the M9, but I also don't want to risk buying a gun, putting good grips on it, and then possibly still not being able to hold onto it.

So hey, if any one is in the N MS area and has an M9 with grippier grips, and willing to let me test drive it, holla at me.

20. phburks

phburks New Member

Yes my post was pertaining to ammo, as any good quality and well-maintained firearm should be as reliable as the next. Good quality ammo is ideal for self defense and its what I purchase for myself. But on the occasion that there is an issue with the ammo, a revolver is less likely to jam than a semi-auto.

I guess you said it well tho, opinions. I'd trust either type of gun to save my life if its well-maintained and using good quality ammo. Revolver is just my preference.