Slickguns.com ??

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by DP03, Nov 12, 2013.

1. DP03

DP03 New Member

Didn't know where to post this, but since I'm in the market for a handgun........

I just found this site on a banner here. As I clicked through looking for what I want, I realize there seem to be some REALLY good deals out there. I've always purchased from the local stores, but may have to buy online this time.

Does anyone have experience, good or bad, and are there any catches to buying online? I know I have to have it shipped to an FFL, and I know I have to buy within my state laws. Anything else to be concerned about?

Thanks.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have purchased from Gunbroker.com and from a Slickguns ad. Make sure you compare the total cost of your online purchase, the gun + freight + FFL transfer fee to the price at the LGS. If close, I usually just buy locally

The LGS expects to be compensated for use of his license and services, therefore fees will generally be $20 to $30 per gun.

Don't be afraid to contact the seller and ask questions. Read the reviews regarding seller's history if using Gunbroker or other auction sights.

Nothing wrong with buying on line, just do your homework before you bid, send the check, etc.

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I have purchased from online retailers, but not this one. You must consider shipping and transfer fees. Sometimes shipping is free. Transfer fees are usually around $25.

4. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Slickguns does not actually sell guns, they run a website that advertises, post links, etc. to on line retailers. Kind of like Ammoseek and other sites.

http://www.slickguns.com/product/sw-mp-9mm-17rd-no-mag-sfty-448

Link is on Slickguns, but the seller is Larry's Pistol & Pawn.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

So calculate 25$ FFL, 25$ shipping, 25$ insurance, plus any taxes.

Add approximately 75$ to 90$ to any firearm online, not to mention you

have never really seen the actual gun, yet.

How good does that deal look now?

I've gotten 3 guns online, and did well with one, and

OK with the other two.

But, IMHO, I was probably more lucky than good.

BTW, use postal money orders, they offer protection

under federal law. I also use Certified Mail, in order to

help keep things timely. It's not cheap, but it always works

well for me, and I always felt the extra protection was worth it.

6. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

Is this the slickguns that is a forum member?

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Yep, the very same.

8. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I do most of those, but I use a bank money order, my bank does not charge me for them.

I bought my RIA tactical 9mm NIB off Gunbroker delivered it was about $50 bucks under the LGS OTD price. But as stated in my original post, do lots of research before you buy.

E-Sarco is another great web site to purchase off of. Sarco shipped me a pair of Kareen Hi Power clones and only charged $15 to ship them, total, not each. :D

Know your local market, you may be able to find a bargain every now and then.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  9. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Also check out the coupon section before you buy. They sometimes have some good coupon codes.

10. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

Never purchased a firearm online, but Slickguns has linked me to great deals on quite a bit of firearm stuff, which I do buy online. Also find random things I didn't know existed. Magpul makes 1911 grips? I didn't know that an hour ago.

11. mikemc

mikemc New Member

I have purchased one gun online (Bud's) and it went extremely well. I use slickguns and a few other sites for ammo and such. As already stated, slickguns is basically a list site (very well done by the way) that will link you to the actual site that is selling the product. I have purchased ammo from several places where I got the lead from slickguns. I use GunBot quite a bit, also, for ammo links.

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Several of the shops around here list on Gunbroker. I use it to scout what we want and then just go to the store. 2 of them call me when they think they get something in that I or the Mz. might want before they list it.

13. bbertram

bbertram New Member

To echo what many have said, buying online can cost you $60-75 more than the "advertised price", based on shipping and transfer fees. I prefer to buy locally, BUT there are many guns that my local gun shop doesn't have ( I'm not a NEW gun guy, but rather and "old " gun guy ) . The only NEW thing I have is a Nano. Gun auctions using Proxybid.com are another source, but be aware that in addition to shipping and transfer fees, there's typically a 15-18% premium for internet bidding. I've gotten one good deal that way, even after all the fees. Looking for something specific, like a Beretta 948 for sale, Google works pretty well ( though mostly they're all sold by the time you find them). Moral is "Buy local when possible, might be the cheapest option.. but check all over for deals and read the fine print on each one". :)
    Brent

14. DP03

DP03 New Member

Well, I just completed a transaction where an online purchase was a no brainer. Part of the reason is that Maryland stores are getting greedy. Most are charging at least full MSRP for handguns. And most are charging $100 transfer fees to dissuade you from buying online. So I searched for FFL's in my area that were not stores, and found a local guy that charged $40. Found what I wanted online at Buds (through Slickguns) for $190 less, got free shipping, and didn't have to pay sales tax. So, needless to say, if this transition completes successfully, I will more than likely have to stop supporting my local stores until they become more reasonable.

15. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

I didn't think SlickGuns.com was the actual store but they provide a link to the store where the offer comes from as Gator indicates.

What I see at SlickGuns.com is the M&P is $399 at Larry's Pistol and Pawn. And it is out of stock.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  16. therewolf

therewolf New Member

PLEASE, everybody, bear in mind my last post was general,

generic information to protect yourself from online ordering issues,

and was meant in no way to defame or cast doubt on our

member, slickguns, or his organization.

17. DP03

DP03 New Member

I simply typed the gun I wanted (Sig 938) in Slickguns search box and looked at the various options. When I found the variation of the gun I wanted at a good price I clicked on it, then clicked "go to store" and ended up at Buds and got the gun for $631 shipped. That's WAY better than buying locally in my area even after the transfer fee.

I never would have found the gun at this price without Slickguns, so thanks for that!!