Sks

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by SmithKid308, Sep 16, 2011.

1. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Need some tips , pointers , and feedback on buying an sks for my SHTF gun and what would be a good price to spend on this rifle since I'm probably going to change the stock, and do all Sks come with a fixed mag ? Or do some come with a removable mag(s) and any general rules of thumb also
    Thanks Smith

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

With the exception of a fairly scarce Vietnamese variant, the SKS was DESIGNED to use a fixed magazine, which functions pretty flawlessly. They are frequently replaced by new owners, who wil then spend the rest of their free time cursing and asking why their removeable mag does not feed well. PS- I can recharge a fixed mag REALLY fast with a stripper clip.

3. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

So what would be a good price for a Sks

4. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I saw a couple Chinese SKS's at my local shop today. Tag said $250

5. c3shooter

A good price for an SKS is sorta like a good price for a car- depends on make and condition. Russian, Chinese, Viet, Yugo? Orginal or Extra Crispy (sorry, meant sporterized). The Yugos are probably the cheapest ones out there- $250 for Chinese COULD be a good price depending on their condition. I did not buy mine, have had since the 1960s. :rolleyes:

You might want to visit auctionarms and gunbroker, search for COMPLETED auction, see what the prices are like on different guns. Remember THOSE prices did not include shipping or FFL fees.

6. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Why does the removable mag not feed well? And what is your opinion on the best Sks SHTF set up

7. c3shooter

Because the rifle was not designed to use those. CAN they feed properly? Yep. Usually do not fit (or hold the fit) in some dimension. For reliability, find a chromed bore original configuration. Preceding is PURELY opinion, others will have others.

8. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

Does the Sks have the reliability of the Ak? If it does not is there any way to help the reliability of the Sks

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I haven't put a gazillion rounds through mine, maybe a couple thousand. I don't believe it's ever malfunctioned in any way, however. Even with the cheapest crap ammo I could find. They may not be quite as idiot proof as the AK, but they are certainly reliable.
    Note: I haven't monkeyed with the magazine either.

10. ofitg

ofitg New Member

Never had any reliability issues with Russian or Chinese SKS's.

Owned two Yugos, had problems with both of them. That gas valve coupled to the grenade-launching sight seems to be a weak point.
    Other people tell me they never had any problem with their Yugos, so maybe I'm just a magnet for "lemons".

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Most of the Chinese versions you find in the US are Norinco's. These are not Mil Surp rifles, they were purpose built for export, primarily to the US/Canada. There were two variants built, called the "D" and "M" models that took AK mags from the get go. These are scarce and bring a premium.

The Norinco's sold new for about $100 back in the early 90's. They bring $250 - $350 in good condition now. They have chrome lined bores and gas pistons so they have few issues with corrosion.

The Russian version (almost all had a blade bayonet) are considered some of the best. They are Mil Surp, but generally in pretty good condition. They sell for $400-$600 when you can find them.

The Yugo's are true Mil Surp guns. Most have been used and used hard. They do not have chromed bores or pistons and MANY have issues because of it. There are some aftermarket parts available to spruce them up. They look cool with the muzzle brake/grenade launcher device. Some have personalized carvings done by the soldiers that used them. They sell for $300 - $500 depending on the condition.

You can add all sorts of do dads to the SKS. IMHO most of the add ons are just bling. The rifle is an accurate reliable little carbine as is.

I have done some modifications to my Norinco including a ventillated handguard, high visibility front sight, high capacity magazine (free) and folding stock (free). I would not have changed the stock out except the price was right and it added some much needed length of pull for my rather large frame.

12. SmithKid308

SmithKid308 New Member

What is the price difference on the yugos
    , the Chinese , and Russian ?

13. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I had been considering finding a 20-round mag for my SKS, till all my

searches came back "jam,jam,jam"

I like my Russian, all original, no grenade launcher, a full-length

one piece gas rod, dependable as any AK out there.(and more

accurate...) Plus a really nice finished stock. Better balance and weight

than my AK, too.

14. orangello

orangello New Member

I keep seeing the same thing about the fixed position 20 rounders that i currently lust after. Of course, the tapco removable 20 rounders i usually use keep me 922 compliant, American made parts count-wise (not applicable to all SKS's).

If anybody runs across a reliable metal, fixed 20 rounder, post up the source please.

15. Ownspitbull

Ownspitbull New Member

I bought a chinese SKS last weekend at a gun auction for $225. Its missing the bayonet and cleaning rod, but it shoots like a beast!

16. shootsathing

shootsathing New Member

I just bought my 1st SKS...A Yugo SKS M59/66A with the NATO Grenade Launcher, i think it was mfg in 1970 according to the original s/n, it's MIL-Surp from J&G in Prescott...spent $303 out the door with 20 stripper clips. I spent probably the past 2-3 weeks researching SKS's and oh boy there's a lot of stuff out there....so for what it's worth:

Buy Russian or Yugoslav if poss (mostly machined parts not stamped)
    Clean, Clean, Clean and CLEAN!. I boiled mine in a strong solution of murphy's soap on my turkey fryer before solvent cleaning.
    Try and be satisfied with 10 rounds....it just seems there are so many identical issues with cycling/feeding when you modify the mag from orig.
    From all the parts available i'm thinking about only changing the muzzle to a more functional one and adding a better buttpad...maybe a scope for looks...maybe.....
    All in all this battle carbine seems to work best when left alone as much as possible.....for the price i may buy a second one to play with..but for now it isn't broke, doesn't need fixin' and is shooting beautifully......

17. Nun

Nun New Member

If you are near a Cabelas they have a Yugo on sale $279.

18. Werminator

Werminator Member

The Cabelas ad just listed a Yugo for sale at 199.99... If you visit their website there is a $20.00 coupon you can have emailed to you. Thats 180 bucks for a yugo sks. Not my cup of tea but certainly affordable. I personally love the Norincos. I know the barrel and chamber are chrome lined along with the gas tube and this cuts down substantially on the risk of corrosion and they cost a lot less than a Rusky (which I would also love to have). I recently began practicing with stripper clips and I feel confident that based on the reliability issues of the large aftermarket mags I could go through 100 rounds as fast as someone using a 30 round detachable (not AK variety)...

19. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

Congrats new SKS owner!
    If your SKS doesn't take mags you can always find a 20 round Chinese box mag (with the big star on it) it will drop right in & then you can load it with two stripper clips at a time.
    Happy Shooting!

20. orangello

orangello New Member

Have you seen these lately; i have been considering one. I hear mixed reviews, though.