SKS Vietnamese Varient? Need Advise.

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by sailor1, Mar 7, 2011.

1. sailor1

sailor1 New Member

Hey guys. Need your help in identifying this rifle I came across. Doesn't look quite like my Yugo or Russian models that I have. No history on it, looks to be an SKS but can't find this model in any reference books. It has a side mounted swivel spike bayonet with the mounts formed to the barrel. The wood along side the barrel his been carved out to accept the folding bayonet. It apears that the underside has also been grooved for a blade bayonet but there are 2 metal rings secured around the wood stock. There is chinese lettering, possible armory stamp, 26,a serial number and 1955 stamped on the reciever. Matching serial numbers are also stamped on the bolt and underside on the mag. Appears to be chambered for 7.62x39. I'll include some scans.
    Thanks again for any info.

Attached Files:

2. AWDeanSr

AWDeanSr New Member

Looks like a mosin nagant.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

4. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Cool, I like the Bayonet.:D

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yea, what he said. [​IMG]

6. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

sks vietnamese varient

From what i can see it appears to be a Mosin-Nagant type 53 an identical copy of the russian 1944 carbine. They started production in 1953 and continued through the early 1960's until there were enough sks's to replace them. Caliber was 7.62x54, not 7.62x39.