sks to buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Zschneider, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Zschneider

Zschneider New Member

I am looking in to buying an sks I know there are different types my question would be which one is the best to get

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

You cant go wrong with a Russian, chinese or Yugo. I don't think that there are 'bad' ones, only ones that have been abused and mistreated.

I wouldnt pay over $400 for one either, the recent panic buying has driven up the cost a bit.

3. marc29th

marc29th Member

I agree any Russian, Chinese or Yugoslavian military surplus SKS is worth buying and most of the Chinese made SKS's for civilians are good too.

4. Zschneider

Zschneider New Member

What would be the price range on them?

5. marc29th

marc29th Member

Most seem to be going about $400 around here (NH).

6. Zschneider

Zschneider New Member

I tryed to find one in my area but I can not find an sks at any gun shop. I am in southern Mississippi

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

$350-$400 is reasonable, i wouldn't give more unless it was mint, wouldnt give more than $450 no matter what.

I would also look for one in the original wood stock, its less likely to have been monkeyed with.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  8. marc29th

marc29th Member

Yes nothing is staying stock very long at gun shops right now.

If there is a LGS you're a regular at ask them to give you a call the next time one comes in. They may even hold it for you if they know you're going to buy it.

9. Zschneider

Zschneider New Member

I am new in the gun world so the lgs wont know me

10. marc29th

marc29th Member

There is always gunbroker.com if you feel you can't wait to find one locally. You'll have to overpay for one though plus a FFL transfer fee at a local LGS.

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

IMHO they go (in descending order of quality) Russian, Bulgarian, Chinese, Yugo. Most of the Yugo's are very used. They are not chrome lined and many have corrosion problems. This is sad as they are the coolest looking ones with the grenade launcher. The Russians invented them and know them the best. The Bulgarians are rare and bring a premium. They are almost carbon copies of the Russians. The Chinese are NOT military surplus (at least not 99% of them). They are new manufacture made for the US market. They work and work well. They do not have the collector value the others do because of the non mil surp status. The exceptions being the D and M models. Both accept AK mags.

12. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I agree, they all are beautiful rifles, I'm picking up my first SKS on Saturday, a Chinese model with the /26\ and the Chinese characters before the serial number.

13. Zschneider

Zschneider New Member

Ok so my next question how much does the ammo cost

14. potentialglock

potentialglock New Member

Go to a gunshop and look at 7.62x39. In other words about the same as AK ammo! Lol I'm so funny

15. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

It's pretty reasonable (if your LGS has any in stock), I've seen 20 rounds for $5-7 and you can get 500 rounds of Wolf for $125 or so in a steel .30 ammo can from sportsmans guide

16. marc29th

marc29th Member

Glad you found a SKS locally!

17. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yeah an a really good deal, $200 with the sling, cleaning rod, spike bayonet, and cleaning kit in butt stock, but no ammo but I don't blame him

18. marc29th

marc29th Member

That was a good deal!

19. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I'm super excited, I can't wait, also, is there a place where I can get any surplus M67 Yugoslav 7.62x39?

20. Zschneider

Zschneider New Member

Now if only I was that lucky to find a deal like that