Sks tapco stock

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Ky_Rebel68, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Ky_Rebel68

Ky_Rebel68 New Member

Ok more specifically has anyone done this to their sks I bought the stock because the wood on the gas system had been broken and cracked baldy due to a drop by the former owner so I need to know if anyone has done this to theirs, because I can not figure out how to get the damn cover on it or figure out how, do you simply knock out the pin on the rear of the gas system? If you need pics of the problem just ask
    I'll post them tomorrow

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

3. ccase39

ccase39 Member

That video is what I was going to post. I have mixed feelings about the Tapco stock. It looks cool and appears to be cheap, but you have to keep in mind that the picatinny rail guard does require some gunsmithing to install, and from what I understand you can damage the original parts very easily if you dont do it right. You can get a separate gas tube with picatinny rail that matches, but it is an additional 50 bucks and you still have to do some work with a file to get it to fit properly. By the time you add this all up it adds a considerable expense. I have also had problems with the 20 rd Tapco magazine. It is unreliable at best. If I had to buy over I would just get an AK if I wanted something tactical. By the time you buy the SKS and add the stock kit you have probably spent more anyway.
    It appears that you are like me though and already have the SKS. If it were me I would find a replacement wooden stock or spend a little extra money and get another brand of stock system besides the Tapco.
    To answer your original question, you just kind of twist that pin you were talking about as you pull it and it should come right off for you. The pin itself wont come all the way out so dont force it.

4. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Not that I have anything against the Tapco stocks, hell I have a ATI on my 10/22, I just think the SKS looks so cool in it's natural state.

Jim

[​IMG]

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have the Tapco set up on my SKS. I did use my gas tube with the new parts. It took a little fitting. But it really wasn't that bad. My 20 round Tapco mags work great. But the rail is a waste. It is too loose to hold any kind of zero.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

It's been a while, but I seem to recall the instructions saying to just knock out the pin. :rolleyes: I destroyed the wood piece during this step, so I was sort of committed to making the replacement plastic piece work. I ended up drilling the stupid pin out, the darned thing wouldn't budge. The new plastic cover did need some filing & sanding to fit, not really an issue.
    I'll be the first to admit that the Tapco stock isn't the greatest thing ever made, but it does the job and it looks ok. I bought it because I'm 6'3" and the OEM stock was designed for some 5'6" Chinese draftee. It was like shooting a little kid's rifle. I really hated the ugly little rubber spacer thingy to increase the length of pull. The adjustable stock was worth the $60ish I paid for it.

7. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I believe the pin on the gas tube is beveled so it only goes in and out one way.

8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

That's what the instructions said too. Didn't matter, it wasn't moving. Neither direction worked. Stuck is stuck.

9. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Great, mine are probably the same then. Planning on ordering a Tapco stock next week but I can't decide onthe one with the rail on the bottom or not. I want to put a handle on the front but I don't want it to be wobbly.

10. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Timbersmith makes some good ones too. I got this one for mine. I did have to take the pin out of the piston tube to change the hand guard piece.

ForumRunner_20130728_152657.jpg

11. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Yea Josh that one is cool. Way cool!

12. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

Figured while I'm ordering my Tapco stock I might as well order a scope mount. Has anyone tried the Ncstar tri-mount scope mount?

13. sharkcoasttactical

sharkcoasttactical New Member

I had/owned a SKS long time ago and did the Tapco conversion. I would have to adjust the red dot every so often but it was still a fun shooter. Its easier to do the conversion buying a separate tapco gas tube and separate piston. Getting the tube out of the hand guard is a pain in the ***. It also doesn't fit every time. You also need to grind out or dremel the handguard/gas tube thingy in order for it to fit but not always. I made 10 of them during the recent insanity because you couldn't find AKs.
    [​IMG]

14. sharkcoasttactical

sharkcoasttactical New Member

I did that too. I shaved off the ends with a file so it was a big pain. Easier if you have a sander. Fun as hell once everything is dialed in but hard to keep the scope zero'ed. Looking back, the red dot worked better on the from imo.