SKS Stripper Clips

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by PanBaccha, Jun 6, 2013.

1. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Anyone ever had problems with SKS stripper clips? They seem so unreliable. Maybe it's because I'm used to 30 round magazines on my AK. But with the Chinese SKS getting a mag adapter might not be the right solution as I heard many complaints about them, and getting the Duckbill magazine might just do for an unchallenging moment but not hold up in a real crisis.
    So all this brings me back to basics. How to embrace stripper clips. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

They tend to suck regardless of what gun they are for. That said, with practice they can speed loading.

3. JWagner

JWagner New Member

I bought a couple boxes of them from a place I cannot remember. They are probably made in China and fit way tight in the gun. It takes a firm hand to make them work. But they do work.

4. austin92

austin92 New Member

Just gotta find a well made clip. I have some way to tight I never use and others that work flawlessly

5. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Thanks for the comments, fellas! I am afraid I'd rushed in with a feverish pitch to purchase these clips for my SKS, and wound up with 3 boxes of them (60 strip clips). Sure hope I get the hang of the awkward loading. Practice, practice, practice, I guess.

6. towboater

towboater Active Member

Press hard and keep em moving.

7. 308Wins

308Wins New Member

I like using clips better than magazines for that, no problems

8. spack762

spack762 New Member

Ive found that the SKS clips also hold 38spl/357mag. Ive got 10rnds on one clip. Not as fast as a true speed loader, but better than loose rounds.

9. bfoosh006

bfoosh006 New Member

Most of the current production SKS stripper clips... suck. I bought some "Chinese" ones from CTD a long time ago. They were stamped and finished very poorly.

Try to find some Yugo stripper clips. Those work very well.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Read the original Russian Manual.

You are supposed to lightly oil them.:)

11. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Some stripper clips I have happened upon have been used (or poorly stored).

If there is a bit of corrosion, or some nicks and scratches, these can make the rounds hang up.

I have some AR15 stripper clips that need some light dressing and cleaning. ho-hum... someday.

12. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Not sure what kind mine are. They came with my SKS. But mine work fine. I have done the Tapco stock and have the 20 round mags. The duckbill type mentioned above. The Tapco mags work good. But they are a little tighter inside than the original. You can load longer cartridges in the original mag than the Tapco ones. That matter if you are a reloader.

13. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I had found some at a swap meet that were kinda rusty and pretty dirty. I just threw them in my brass tumbler and they came out like new. Put a little gun oil on them and they work great.

14. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

There's always some guy at local shows with bins of assorted parts, accessories, and tools.
    Got more strippers than I know what to do with, for a few bucks. Only had an issue with one. The rest work perfect.

15. sunsoutgunsout

sunsoutgunsout New Member

I actually don't mind my stripper clips, although its a bit tough to load them at times. Other than that I have no problems. Also, loading with your fingers is far more worse considering the bolt could slam shut on your fingers. (Never had this happen to me but I heard many stories, and its not something I would like to happen) if for any reason the bolt shuts once the stripper clip is unloaded, it usually kicks sideways holding the bolt from closing all the way!