Sks stock question Yugo or Chinese

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by ccase39, Aug 31, 2013.

1. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

I have a Norinco. I absolutely love it. I put the Tapco stock kit on it and am not real happy with it and am going to put it back the way it was. The only thing I dont like about the original furniture is that the stock is short. Is there a difference in length between the Norinco and Yugo? Will they swap out easily?

2. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The only difference with the Yugo, AFAIK, is the

longer cleaning rod, because of the grenade launcher

on the front of the barrel. The ones I have used had

SS bolt handles. Good rifles, a little top-heavy, if you're

used to a Russian, but the weight acts as a counter balance

to recoil.

3. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Can you convert to full auto?

4. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

5. res45

res45 New Member

The length of pull is for all intensive purposes exactly the same on all SKS rifles the only difference is on the Yugo M59/66-A1 which has the rubber butt pad to aid in reducing recoil when firing rifle grenade blanks but I would only advise doing that with you stand parade blanks.

Firing a true rifle grenade blank such as the one used to launch the M60P1 rifle grenade would result in a broken shoulder pad or not. If you need a longer length of pull you can try one of these extensions at the bottom of the page there available in 1 and 2" versions. http://www.tickbitesupply.com/stocks.html

6. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Only if you are hoping to spend some time in prison? Not really a good idea. If you really want to shoot full auto join the military. It is not all everyone makes it out to be though. After the first few rounds it is very difficult to hit anything. I was army. I shoot semi-auto. Have no use for full auto.

7. ccase39

ccase39 New Member

Were SKS ever full auto?

8. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

Not that I'm aware of. It was always intended to be just an autoloading rifle. In theory you can convert any semi to full, but doesn't mean it is a good idea.

9. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Think about it 450 rounds per minute cyclic rate,(@).

@ 8 rounds per second. So you would have a 1.2

second burst, on auto fire. Not to mention, you

would wreck a great semi rifle.

10. kbd512

kbd512 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I find that most people who think the stock of the AK or SKS are too short are either extremely tall individuals and/or with long arms or they don't understand how the Russians intended for the AK to be held for firing.

If you square up behind the gun, vs shooting it like a clays shotgun, you shouldn't have any problems if you are an average-sized man. Although stock spacers are available, most people simply need to square up behind the weapon.

You might want to check out the fixed ATI stocks.

I'm 5'10" and have relatively long arms and have never had problems with normal AK and SKS stocks.

11. Josh1158

Josh1158 New Member

Check out timbersmith.com . I have one of there thumbhole stocks on mine and I love it. Millsurpstuff.com has some good stuff too.

12. rb522

rb522 New Member

Yeah, I'm 6'3, and have arm length to match. I have found that a slip on rubber recoil pad adds just enough length to the stock to make it more comfortable for me.

13. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

I had put a Choate dragunov stock on a Yugo I had. That made it really nice.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Re: Full auto- is it POSSIBLE? Yes. It is also possible to have a full auto .25 Raven. It would be as useless as a wood stove in an igloo. but possible.

Legal? No. No additional full auto firearms can be made for private citizens since May 1986. Convert an SKS to full auto, you have just won 10 yrs in a Federal prison, and a fine of $10,000. In addition to your new roomate- Crusher. And loss of your girlish laughter.

15. 304inc

304inc New Member

Lmao,, funny but true.

16. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

They make a rubber buttpad you can attach to the buttstock that will add up to 2" of extra length, a little digging on the internet will find plenty of stock extension methods for the SKS family.

Also, the Yugoslav's did make a full automatic version of the SKS, but they were very limited prototype runs that never quite made it to service, the design is not meant to be full auto, it was designed for semi-automatic service.

The Chinese, however, have a family of rifles (Type 63, 81) that are distant relatives of the SKS, the Type 63 is a select fire SKS type rifle that can use any AK magazines with minor fitting requirements.

The Type 81 is more like an AK, but blends SKS elements and is automatic.