SKS stock input/opinions

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by orangello, May 14, 2009.

1. orangello

orangello New Member

I recently purchased a used SKS of Chinese origin. I've been very satisfied with how it shoots, but would like to lighten it up a bit.

It currently has a "monte carlo" style stock that is comfortable for my frame (6'2ish, 220 lbs, 36" sleeves on my dress shirts). I am considering either a Tapco "fusion" or T6 stock or a "side folder" stock. I think the side folder looks better, but i doubt it would shoot as well as the Tapco models. I just can't decide which to get & do not think i need 3 different stocks for one used rifle (monte carlo will be kept as an optional). I am not opposed to changing stocks for the occasional hunting trip; I am opposed to buying a stock i'll never use. I do plan to remove the stock magazine & replace it with a tapco 20 rounder for non-hunting use. I am aware that i will need to start counting parts for 922 when i make a change. This gun has the spike bayonet, but i will be removing it (hopefully to be replaced by a bipod).

Opinions, advice, information, or offers of used stocks are welcome.

SKS-075 - Tapco Fusion SKS Rifle System with Rail Black Includes Handguard Pistol Grip Stock
    fusion

SKS-070 - TAPCO SKS T6 Collapsible Stock Black Six-Position M4 Type Glass-Filled Nylon
    T-6

SKS-200 - SKS Ultralight Folding Stock Pistol Grip Handguard with Black Glass Filled Nylon
    a folder stock

This SKS-540 - SKS Monte Carlo Stock Black Handguard with Recoil Pad looks like the stock on the gun currently.

Not to sound like a limp-wristed fashionista, but i would prefer an olive drab stock if i can get one. :eek:

Thanks for your assistance! I am sure this isn't a new question; i'm looking for recent opinions/info.

Additionally, if you have any input regarding a low power telescopic sight or a "red dot"-type sight for the SKS, feel welcome to post it up. :)

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. orangello

orangello New Member

C'mon guys, help me bubba this thing right.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Oh come on; i just want your opinion as a fellow gun owner. It didn't come with the original wood, so i can't de-bubba it.

4. DogRanger

DogRanger New Member

Check out Suvivor's SKS Boards a lot of good info over there.

5. suprdave

suprdave New Member

I've got the folder stock on mine and I love it. As far as shooting, I get 1.5" groups @ 100. Plus it looks bad-***. I had a red dot on it, but had some scope mount issues, so I can't help you there.

6. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

A friend of mine tried to trick-out his SKS with the Tapco side folder. It was a real POS. Too much slop and play at the hinge, even in the 'locked" position, and it looked as though it would break if it was dropped.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

Thanks guys! I ended up ordering the tapco t-6 this weekend. I plan to hang on to the montecarlo stock it has now incase the tapco doesn't work for me. I have my doubts on the scope mount i ordered, but i'll give it a chance.

I'll post a pic when i get it together.

8. bullseye57

bullseye57 New Member

I put a Butler Creek Sporter stock on mine and like it just fine

9. gun nuts

gun nuts New Member

i put the tapco colapsible on my para trooper so its real short now if the stocks colapsed

10. LtpLegend

LtpLegend New Member

I have a Chinese SKS too.

I bought the Tapco T6 with bottom rail.

I dont suggest mounting the scope on the receiver as all I heard were bad things unless your a decent gun smith and know what your doing. Apparently it looses zero every 5 rounds.

I'm mounting a red dot on the top rail a vertical grip on the bottom rail and a laser on the side rail (side rail ordered separately)

I talk to this guy up in VT he knows everything about SKS and can sell you all the parts at a good price too.

Paul's Guns - The SKSMAN - Products Listing Page- Your source for SKS Rifle and AK-47 accessories
    or just call he will talk as much as you want.

603-429-1494 9am-9pm EST

11. gun nuts

gun nuts New Member

on my paratrooper with the tapco stock we have a 250 lumins light a laser a front grip with the presure switches for both of them on it

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I've had some camera issues lately, may pick up a new one for my birfday. I snapped this with the celphone.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I've ditched the shell deflector & will be ditching that scope mount ASAP. It shook like a chilly stripper when i went plinking this weekend. I'll just have to break down & get one of the side-mount setups, with the quick release. For one thing, it's hard to bend my neck into a comfortable scope position, so i will try to find a sidemount that will put the scope about 1.5" off the receiver cover.

13. warwolf

warwolf New Member

I have a t6 stock on my sks. it does make it lighter. But the thing i didnt like about it. is that it took all the weight off the back so when you hold the rifle the barrel feels so heavy. and when you're shooting for awhile you can feel it. I got mine from combatstocks.com shipping was fast and i was very happy with it.
    [​IMG]

14. busdriver72

busdriver72 New Member

I modernized a Yugo 59/66 with the TAPCO T-6. No bayonet. I got a Scout Mount for a red-dot optic. TAPCO mags. It all worked okay, it's just that no matter what the Yugo SKS, especially with an optic, doesn't balance well, or to me it didn't. It was nice, but I guess my expectations were too high. It still didn't feel as good as I wanted and hoped for. So I saved up my pennys and got an AR.
    Oh, and if you're going to modify an SKS, don't forget to make it 922r compliant or you may have an unfortunate encounter with the ATF.:eek:

15. Carne Frio

Carne Frio New Member

16. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For a larger framed American male, the only SKS stock I have ever handled that felt "good" wa the Dragunov style from ATI. It just felt good. A "little guy" like you might even appreciate it.

Yes 6'02 makes you a "little guy".

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I've seen your pic; i ain't arguing. :D

18. Woody

Woody New Member

If your tring to lighten the rifle I'm not sure that your going to achieve that / tapco intrafuse T6, 20rnd, and accessories this gun weighs more than original but I wouldn't go back for squat

Nuthin beats basic Black
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  19. Stangman

Stangman New Member

T6

I went with the t6 and love it. It is a little front heavy but you get used to it fairly quickly! The pistol grip doesn't hold the cleaning kit on mine but that's ok with me. Install was easy on my chinese as well! :)

20. res45

res45 New Member

I'm old fashion I like my wood stocks on my SKS rifle but if I had to replace it I would good with the Butler Creek stock. It only comes in black but way back when they used to make an OD green K-Sport or CA used them on there Chinese SKS sporter. I've had a few of those in my hand and there rock solid.

As far as scope mounts for the SKS I have the receiver cover replacement I use on my Chinese during hunting season I file fitted it to the rifle and it very snug and hold zero just fine,topped it off with a Tasco 42 MM 5 MOA red dot and I don't remove it until hunting season is over with and then it's back to the original iron sights.

If you want something a little more stable go with the scout mount that replaces the rear leaf sight. SKS Scope Mounts : Scout Scopes and how to install it Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com