SKS Squib. Help!

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by zaitsev44, Oct 18, 2013.

1. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I have a squib round in my SKS from using Tula Ammo. I have never dealt with one and need help on how to get it out without damaging the rifling.

image-1134148733.jpg

image-3145493935.jpg

2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Make sure the shell is out if the chamber so there is no chance of any other priming chemical or powder injuring you.

Use a brass rod and mallet to drive the bullet out. The brass is softer than the chrome lining or steel of the barrel. Brass rod stock can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.

3. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Ok I know there's no shell in there, I'll get the remaining unburnt powder out. I have a brass cleaning rod and rubber mallet. Thank you.

4. Cheever

Cheever New Member

This is exactly how we do it at the gunstore. Just as long as there is one bullet. If there is more you may be SOL. After you get it out inspect the bore carefully you may have put a bulge in the barrel. IMHO I think you should stop shooting cheap ammo.

5. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yeah this is the last time I'm shooting Tula. This is the second time Tula has caused me problems. I'll spend a few more dollars a box rather than buy cheap and risk damaging the rifle or injuring myself.

6. Cheever

Cheever New Member

Rubber mallet may not do it. You may need a good steel hammer to get the job done. 7.62 bullets have a lot of surface area with a lot of friction being generated as you try to drive that sicker out.

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Brass CLEANING rod may not do. Solid brass rod. Plastic mallet. Good padded vise. Warm the area where the bullet is stuck briefly with a heat gun or hair dryer (warm barrel expands just a tad)

8. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Got her out. Two light time on my Mosins cleaning rod and it came out of there. Here she is image-921838594.jpg

9. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

My corn-fuzed thoughts exactly...and stop it..you know that makes me crazy...

11. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yeah it has faint marks where the rifling was but it didn't get far nor did was it wedged in there too badly. All it too was 2 taps with the mallet and Mosin cleaning rod and she popped out if there.

12. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I just figured the marks would be more...pronounced..:)

13. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I thought so too. I thought there would be much more resistance, thankfully no damage was done to the rifle and no harm done to me.

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Well...AS long as the rifle still does what it needs to I guess. Good deal :)

15. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Zaitsev what make/model/age is your SKS?

I agree, punt that ammo. But Tula is the kind the rifle was built for.

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Woke up a little. Did you say the round fired in the first place? How far down the barrel did the bullet go? If the bullet separated and the propellant did not ignite, might explain how cute it looks on the pic.

17. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

It's a 1975 Yugoslavian M59/66A1. The only reason I was using Tula is that 7.62x39 is possibly one of the "better" calibers they make. I still have 125 rounds or so.

18. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yeah it fired and make a less "pronounced" bang and didn't cycle the bolt. Opened the bolt and the casing fell out and there was a bunch of powder. Thankfully I didn't try to shoot it again cause it was jammed due to all the powder and fouling. If so, then that would've been bad....

19. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Just what I thought. Good news it's not the rifle. For her sake write off the rest of that batch.

20. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Yeah I won't be using Tula unless there's no other choice. I don't have the lot number, so I can't bring it to the attention of Tulammo.