SKS scoped

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by ivandog48, Sep 10, 2013.

1. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

Bought a kit off e-bay that is a pretty good deal for less than $50. The kit includes a new "rear housing" ( the first part to come off in disassembly). The new part is oversized and must be filed down to fit you rifle and its manufacturers tolerance. My rifle is 54' Russian. It took a couple hours to get it right on the money. It comes with 1" rings and a Barska scope that's has some good clarity. I'm not looking for a 'sniper rifle' - my 64 yr old eyes can't handle the ramp sights very well anymore. It's a fairly nice package - Chinese made, and is rigid and sturdy. You'll have a pleasant afternoon feeling like a gunsmith. Just take your time and file then fit.

Attached Files:

2. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

It looks good! Planning on doing the same thing on my russian sks. Planning on putting a brass deflector on it too. My other one gets hit often by the ejected brass.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have seen countless receiver cover mounts fail over the years. They either wobble badly or snap off under recoil. Hopefully you got one that will actually work as intended.

4. therewolf

therewolf New Member

5. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

I haven't shot it yet. I checked it for wobble. There is some play. I didn't do as good a job as I thought. There was a problem with the retention pin aligning with the hole in the receiver. I had to file the hole in the new part to get the pin to lock properly. Before you file too much off the front, check the hole alignment. It must be a tight fit as the pin has an eccentric locking function.

6. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

IMHO, the best choice is to buy one of the models that require drilling and tapping. Mounting a scope to parts that are removed as part of normal maintenance seems a bit self defeating, if one actually cares about maintaining zero. A wobbly scope mount probably ought to not be a scope mount. YMMV.
    This covers the subject nicely:
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/choatesksscope/

7. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I bought a scope and mount similar to the one mentioned by the OP and I am still waiting for it to come in. I will post here when the work is complete. Hopefully I will not have to do much milling to get it to fit properly. ;)

8. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

I'll let you know after I shoot it. I once had a Chinese made SKS that came new with the scope installed. It was a piece of crap. One large knurled screw held it on. I tried to make it all work but gave up on it. Sold it ASAP. I have doubts about how this project will end. I will put the original part back in and lick my $50.00 wound. I love peep sights. May be the old Marine in me, but peep sights rule. So, so much better than ramp sights. Does anyone know of a way to modify an SKS to peep sights? My eyes work well with the peep sight on my 03' Springfield and my M-1 Garand.

9. towboater

towboater Active Member

I bought one for a friend off ebay. I also installed it. Wow, sure was a lot of work. He did get a deer that season with it. I don't recommend this type.

10. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

The main thing about this type of scope base is you have to take your time with a file. The object is to make it fit tight so the scope doesn't move around very much. This is a tedius project but if done right, its a beuitiful thing because you get some accurasy out of your gun. Thats why these thing don't fit from the factory. Plus every SKS is not the same as far as those thousands of an inch space these things fit it. Don't discard them as junk. Just take your time with them. If you mess up, they are cheap enough to buy another and start over. If done right you have accomplished a gun smithing task that you can be proud of.

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I've used several of the years and the only ones I seen that worked any good at all where the ones that either the drill and tapped type and one or two that had screws that tightened on the receiver. The drill and tap ones should be better and but some don't want t put holes in. The others will mark the receiver but then you have the idea that the marks will allow you to put it in the same place every time so maybe that is a plus.

There just isn't a way to put a scope on in the rear without some pretty big changes. Me, I changed to a TAPCO stock and put a holo red dot on the rail o the gas tube. It' stays put and I don't shoot it at distances where I need any magnification....yet anyway...:eek:

12. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I put the file in dust cover type on a Chinese years ago. It turned out decent, 4-5 inch accuracy at 100 yards with wolf fmj. It was tight when done, which as previously mentioned, is the key to being successful with this project.

Op: find a good welder in your area and have him/her fill in the flats and start over.

13. ivandog48

ivandog48 New Member

I hate to give up on it. My son wanted something that had a harder hit on feral hogs than my Bushmaster AR-15. We have a feral hog problem near here. He and some friends killed 16 mostly with mostly AR's. They go down quick if hit in the right spot from what I saw on his video's. Most kills were 100 yards or less. Thought I'd pull the SKS out of the safe and juice it up for him. Killing these hogs is not for the faint of heart. They are dangerous when wounded. I've learn a lot about the SKS and appreciate the posts, especially the video sent. Don't want to start a debate on 7.62 vs 5.56 but I spent a year in Vietnam launching 5.56 at bad guys and have no complaints about it. I have 600 rds left of a couple battle packs ( South African surplus) that still tumble. Ill send him back with it. I'll send him

14. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

A buddy put peep sights on one of his SKSs years ago, I believe its a Williams. Night and day difference vs the stock ramp sight. I havent seen it recently to recall just how it mounted tho. I do know that it'll smack our 650yd gong all day, but the 850 is a real challenge for it.