Sks or not

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by trevor_atkinson, Jan 20, 2013.

1. trevor_atkinson

trevor_atkinson New Member

Want an ar but with current prices its no option have recently had the option to acquire an sks good gun?? Let me know!!

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's what I want to get instead of an AR.

3. trevor_atkinson

It also shoots the sane size as ak ammo so I believe that is a plus!!

4. mongo43

mongo43 New Member

Trevor,

I think the SKS is one of the most under rated rifles currently available. They are built like a tank, run a simple piston system. And can be operated by most anybody.

They are like an AK in the aspect that they fling empty shells a country mile upon ejection. So as long as you don't plan to use brass cases and reload them. You are good to go. Plus there is a decent after market for parts out there for them. I just prefer mine in stock form.

So come on a join the SKS club.

5. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

I just recently upgraded an sks for a friend, I was very impressed with its performance. They're definitely a great option.

6. lukeisme

lukeisme New Member

The sks is a fun gun to shoot and very reliable. The 7.62x39 round has decent power and not any harder to reload for. I have a yugo and chinese both. They both eat about any ammo I toss into them brass case, steel case doesn't matter. I converted both of mine to use a detachable mag. Not hard at all. Easy to clean easy to fix. I actualy prefer to shoot them over my AK.

7. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Keep in mind though, 7.62x39 is becoming just as hard to find as 223 right now

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Let's face it... No ammo is easily available right now, except certain ammo that applies almost exclusively to hunting applications.

Stocks are low in everything. I'm getting ready to sell some 20 year old .22LR for a tidy profit. I was offered 30 bucks for 500 rounds.

9. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Very true, but even though all ammo is scarce right now, nothing has reached a premium quite as much as military based ammunition

10. trip286

trip286 New Member

Which, unfortunately, is naturally the most sought after, even if it's not being fired through a "military" styled rifle. Look at the people wanting .223, .308, and .30-06 for their bolt actions...

And good luck finding .45ACP in my town.

11. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Buy the SKS now. Get the AR when you can.

12. cuate

cuate New Member

I have owned two SKS rifles and my Son has owned one. Two were Chinese type 56 and the other a Yugo with grenade launching attachment which was removed and thrown away. All were tough, well made, will last for ages, and which detachable magazines may be used after some alteration (AK type mags). ATTENTION WASHINGTON : I said "have owned" am limited presently to a BB gun and a "sling shot" and I will not register either or surrender either !!!!!!

13. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Can't go wrong, they're fun and cheap

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  14. trevor_atkinson

Wood it not be good to reload because it throws it so high up when it comes down it is damaged??

15. trevor_atkinson

I heard a lot of problems with detachable mag have you had any??

16. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I've also got a couple. Love them and I think more fun to shoot than the AR. I tried a detachable mag on mine and didn't have any luck so went back with the 10 round box.

17. hoovco

hoovco New Member

Get you a SKS! They're a blast to shoot. I'll never sell mine.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

Buy the SKS. I have really enjoyed my chinese/norinco SKS. I have it in a Tapco stock with 20 round tapco mags presently, but i kept the montecarlo stock and original mag as a backup option. I haven't had any trouble with the tapco mags with the tapco stock.

Only downside is the difficulty of mounting a scope on it.

Keep in mind that most of the really cheap steel-cased ammo is not easily reloadable.

19. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

Not a problem at all. They make receiver covers with an integrated scope rail on it. Works great. Also, I spent a number of years in the military and sent thousands of rounds of 5.56mm down range. Having said that, I prefer my Romanian SKS over my AR any day. Fun to shoot and 7.62mm is a much more destructive round.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  20. orangello

orangello New Member

It works ok for some people's needs. I've had at least three different types of receiver cover mounts; none of them held a good enough zero for me. I did look into drilling and tapping the receiver side for a rail that would allow the attachment of of molot rail system, but it would have cost as much as the rifle did. The rail on the Tapco gas tube cover appears stable enough to mount a forward optic, probably an open optic, but i decided it just wasn't really worth it. I did swap out the stock sights for some techsights "peep sights".