sks magazine

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by liftedtrucks4me, Feb 9, 2011.

1. liftedtrucks4me

liftedtrucks4me New Member

I got a 30 round magazine and it is not feeding right. It seems that the bullets are too low for the bolt to push in. Is there some kind of adapter I need to buy for this to work properly?

2. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

the sks was designed for a box magazine and ive found its very picky with the removable mags. i prefer using the stripper clips and the box mag myself.
    ive found my sks to be a "experimental" rifle when it comes to modifcations. some stuff works good, others not so well
    (if your thinking about a scope, DO NOT get one of the receiver mounts!)

im sure someone will be along to let you know what hi-cap mags do work good.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

To get a detachable to work on an SKS, you need to use $100 bills and polish the lips of the mag. You will wind up spending an equal amount to find the right mag. It does not like them, was not designed for them, your rifle is pouting, it wants NOTHING to do with that detachable, and it wants it's 10 round fixed mag BACK, and it is going to hold its breath until you put it back.

4. liftedtrucks4me

I just want something that holds more than 10 rounds, i guess theres nothing cheap out there for that

5. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have the tapco stock and 20 round mags. It works great. But you have to be careful about overall length if you reload. The original mag will hold much longer rounds.

6. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

its not that the mags are expensive, but like c3 said, its finding the one your gun likes. ive had friends use them with mixed results, and ive had no luck with them. ive seen kits that allow you to use ak mags, but they are expensive and i have not tried it.

Actually you would be surprised, with a little practice how quick you can reload with a stripper clip. for me it adds a little more fun factor to the rifle as well!

7. liftedtrucks4me

I found the stripper kit, 20 of them for 5 bucks, cant beat that. The only thing I was looking at with magazines is it is easy to pop in a new mag, after a little while my fingers start to get a little sore from putting in bullet after bullet. I am going to look into the stripper kit though. Thanks for all the tips guys

8. If you search long and hard you might come across a Chinese 20 rd bow mag with the commie star on the side. But it will take some time to find one.

9. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

I can tell you the mag to buy www.rifle-tech.com the best 15, 20,and 30 rd mags the 30 rd is same size as an ak 30 but holds 37rds no duckbill on these they ask you the make and guarentee it for life.Let me tell you they are sweet. But they are also pricey.Don't go buy there list price, make them an offer and if your not in a big hurry you will probably get it. I bought 4 20rd for $200. I have no regrets holds bolt open on last shot and are stripper clip friendly. Over a 1000rds and never a problem. Good luck"

10. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Tapco mags seem to work well in most the SKS using the duck bill mags.

11. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

not true on mine. still hit and miss with those as well. a lot of people say they work very well with tapco stock combo.
    found the problem to be the weight of the mag together with the recoil would shake the duck bill out from the bottom. went back to the box mag and stripper clips and was much happier with the results. my rifle likes me again.. is how i felt. and once you get accustomed to the stripper clips you can reload fast.

12. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

sks magazines

Like i said in previous post dc enginering also known as rifle-tech. Tapco doesn't even come close. Hey if you don't want to spend the $, then leave it alone and use stripper clips,but if you must have a high capacity mag then you get it from rifle-tech.i agree with most of the other posts it's a crap shoot with tapco mags. I still use stripper clips but pushing into a 20 or 30rd clip is a lot easier.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  13. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

im sure that works really well on an sks. what people will call a stripper clip on a sks is really just a magazine loader that they make for all different weapons. when i think of a true stripper clip i think of a m1 garand.

14. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

sks magazines

As long as i can remember stripper clips were uses to load a mag, be it fixed or detachable. Hence stripper clip the rounds are stripped from the clip, and pushed into the mag. The m1 garand uses an 8 rd clip inserted into the gun, I've never heard them refered to as stripper clips, just m1 garand clips.

15. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

The M1 uses a En-Bloc clip, the SKS a stripper clip....

16. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

Sks mag

Your right the m1 does use an en block clip. All i'm saying is i never heard of them being refered to as a stripper clip. It really doesn't matter what ever works in your gun and you are comfortable with what your using. I wish they had en block clips for the sks i would like that alot better then the stripper clips. Sometimes i can push the shells right in and other times they just don't want to go.I like stripper clips cause i can carry alot more ammo, but i prefer detatchable mags. All depends what your doing, and personal preference.

17. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

yeah your right that was a little mistype. meant to just say clips. must of had stripper on the mind at the time.

i believe that they are also called bandoleers.
    and i like that the sks does not "ding" when the mag is empty.

18. aktommysks

aktommysks New Member

sks mag

Hey pranc 2, having stripper on the mind, doesn't make you a bad person. Lol" Your right about the m1 clips making a ping sound when ejected. It didn't take the GI's long to use it to their advantage. The enemy would wait for the ping and then charge, so our guy's would throw an empty clip,they would charge and only to find out that there was a full clip in the gun. After awhile they thought twice about charging when they heard the ping. My uncle was ther and told me that story.

19. freddy-b

freddy-b New Member

Rifletech stuff looks like good stuff, but as Salty as it is...Thats a good chunk of the price to upgrade to a bigger better toy. IMO ...now if you have a massive SHTF stockpile of 7.62 x 39 and you and yours lifes could depend on it ...that might be a different story .

Also... I have never had a issue with the Tapco 20 rd mags.

20. pranc2

pranc2 New Member

yeah i had heard that as well (history channel).. sounds like a really fun way to kill a nazi.. talk about surprised. :p never shot a garand but would love too.

back to the sks and to freddyb
    i believe it was the weight of the 30rd fully loaded cuz the same mag with 10rds shot fine. i just choose to take my sks back to OG style because i think she is prettier natural. :cool:
    the stockpile of 7.62 x 39 i do have with also two weapons that shoot it.;)