sks mag

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by bullets4days, Jul 28, 2011.

1. bullets4days

bullets4days New Member

I have a 30 round metal magazine the won't fit right in my sks. I have a tapco stock on it. Can someone tell me if they have any advice or know how to help.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Got a pic of the magazine?
    I like the Tapco mags with my Tapco stock, but i do have one metal mag.

3. bullets4days

bullets4days New Member

Payed $20 for it

Attached Files:

4. orangello

orangello New Member

From memory, that looks like the one i have. Mine worked OK last time i tried it. Have you tried inserting with the bolt back and forward, loaded and unloaded? Is it fitting but not latching in or what?

5. bullets4days

bullets4days New Member

It's hard to get it in and when I do the bolt doesn't close all the way. Also when I pull the bolt back and it goes back forward it has trouble closing. It will feed bullets threw it but the bolts not closing all the way with this mag

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Odd. It sounds like it is putting pressure on the bottom of the bolt carrier or something.

I will take a look at mine tonight.

7. bullets4days

bullets4days New Member

Ok thanks I appreciate

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Well, no help here. I loaded and cycled the metal mag i have with no problems. I didn't get to live fire the rifle with this mag last night but have in the past without memorable problems. My mag does look like yours, but i guess mine fits a bit better.

For $20, i'd order one of the tapco's, and maybe compare them side-by-side.

9. bmatt1

bmatt1 New Member

best piece of advice i can give you, look at the bottom of the bolt carrier for scratches where the magazine might be rubbing. they may or may not be there. then you can file the magazine down some to fit. my dad has an sks and a magazine just like that but his has the original wood stock and the mag works just fine in it. from what your saying it sounds like the bolt is catching on something.

10. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

If the rifle was supposed to have a 30-shot magazine, the Russian design team would have given it one. Not to punk your rifle choice, but why do so many people try to turn a perfectly serviceable 10-shot rifle into something that it was never meant to be? Personally, I fail to see any disadvantage to the stock 10-round magazine if you've got stripper clips. KISS.

11. bullets4days

bullets4days New Member

Well I'm going to get some tapco mags that should most likely help. Also the reason I don't want the internal mag. I like the rifle and it was cheap so I picked it up.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

I've had zero problems from the tapco mags with my tapco stock. Best of luck.

I like the stripper clips when i'm using the fixed mag and the montecarlo stock, but the removable tapco mags are better for the plinking and my tapco stock. That's why i like the removable mags, not to mention that there are more than a couple pre-loaded in my safe beside and loaded into the SKS, just in case. If i take it hunting, it will be in the montecarlo & with a fixed mag.

If you read about the reasoning behind the fixed mag, i bleve you will find that it was a decision made by those requesting the rifle be designed, not the designer. IIRC, it had something to do with soldiers misplacing removable mags on the battlefield, rather than a limitation of the design.