Sks mag rules il

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by Jew1028, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Jew1028

Jew1028 New Member

I have a all original sks that I inherited from my dad. The sks has a 5 round fixed mag and I was looking at putting a 10 or 20 round fixed mag in it. What are illinois laws on this?

2. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Question on age ( C/R?), other smithing modifications? I'm also curious as to these rules by Fed. standard as well.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Will depend on where you are in Illinois. Some local governments have magazine capacity limits for both pistols and long guns, including Chicago (15 rounds), Oak Park (10 rounds), Aurora (15 rounds), and Cook County (10 rounds).

BTW- the "original" SKS has a 10 rd fixed magazine. It works quite well. It can be quickly reloaded with a stripper clip. On the other hand, change to an after market magazine (20 round, removable, etc etc) and you ARE going to have feeding problems. If you don't, go buy a lottery ticket- yer full of luck.

4. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

Quite a few years ago I was using 30 round removable mags in my SKS Norinco, and I never had a feeding problem with it. Not even when I quik fired it so that it sounded like it was fully automatic. Maybe that is because I had good quality mags, and not plastic.

5. Jew1028

Jew1028 New Member

I live in lee county which is about 40 minutes south of Rockford. I don't want a detachable magazine I'm looking to use a 10 or 20 round fixed magazine.

6. ccase39

ccase39 Member

Yea I have had the Tapco mags and they suck. I have heard that the metal Chinese mags in 20 or 30 rds work well though.
    I had a Tapco stock on mine. I just put it back to normal with the original furniture because I was not happy with the Tapco products. I have had other Tapco products that work well, just not the SKS products.
    I also like the SKS the way it is. I have a few AR's to play with if I want to add gear.

7. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

The Norinco SKS came stock with a 10 round fixed magazine. I am using the one that came with mine still today with stripper clips.

8. Jew1028

Jew1028 New Member

I have the 5,10, and 20 round fixed mags I have the 5 round one on now I didn't want to put the 10 or 20 on if I would get in trouble. He also has 3 ak mags with it. I haven't tried those yet. I'm not sure of the year of this rifle I know my father got it back in the 70's while he was in the military.

9. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Any particular reason for the Screen name ??? Some folks who managed to avoid the ovens have numbers tattooed on their arm. You may want to request a name change...

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

10. Joeyg69

Joeyg69 New Member

I've had my first Norenco SKS since I was 16 years old. I've had every different type of mag and stock you can think of on it. The best I've had as far as mags that don't FTF on me are the promag detachable 20rnd mags. As far as fixed go I had a fixed 20rd on it a few years ago and it took a lot of creative gun smithing with a dremel to get it to fit right. It was a big pain in the a**. The spring it came with was too strong to easily feed with a stripper clip. And then a year or so after I installed it it failed completely and would just push every round up and out as it pleased. I took it off and threw it in the trash were it belongs.