Sks mag help

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by EagleDreamer, Apr 12, 2013.

1. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I bought a ProMag 30 round mag for my SKS today. I brought it home and tried to put it in and it didn't fit. The SKS is a Norinco and it is stock. I looked up a couple vids on YouTube and everyone had aftermarket stocks that were using the ProMag magazines. I have thought about getting a stock for it but don't know which I want.

The main difference I see in the mag that I already have and the new one is the "ducktail". On the ProMag it seems to have more of a point at the end. I will provide a picture of both for comparison.

image-4527106.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

2. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

I don't buy anything with the name pro mag on it.;)

3. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

Sometimes when you go to polymer magazines they're too thick or too long to fit into the magwell, my Cobray magazine was the same way and needed to be filed down on the front duckbill tab.

Usually some material removal is required, either on the magazine or the magwell, I would recommend the magazine.

4. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

I was thinking this and I was hoping for some responses. The width of the mag seems good. I believe it's just the "point" of the ducktail not allowing in to be pushed forward enough for the mag to slide in all the way.

5. dyslexic_llama

dyslexic_llama New Member

You're probably right, the metal one does not have that point and looks slightly shorter as well.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Promag has made some very good mags and some junk. The SKS has been made by so many different countries there is some fitting required. judicious filing will corect the problem.

Or just return it and try a different brand. Each SKS seems to have its own unique taste in mags.

7. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Would it be crazy to suggest trying it with the stock OFF first? And it looks to need a hacksaw, not a file. Actually, I agree with 7.62 -- a return envelope might be best.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  8. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

I've had the same problems with the hi-cap mags in the SKS rifle. My solution...skip the hi-cap mags and just use stripper clips for fast loading. The original 10 rd. mags are very reliable and stripper clips in my opinion are more dependable than high capacity mags...for me it is a trust issue as I've had feeding issues with the mags and never with stripper clips. Regards Dick

9. TelstaR

TelstaR New Member

Problem 1: Promag
    Problem 2: Removal of the original 10 round fixed magazine

10. EagleDreamer

EagleDreamer New Member

Unfortunately the conversion was already made when I bought the rifle. I got a pretty good deal on it and couldn't pass it up.

11. foot2400

foot2400 New Member

I am having a simulator problem with mine. I ordered a couple metal 30rd mags that are called Triple K mags??? They both fit but they r very tight. Almost like they are to long. They look like they are all the way forward when they are locked in. So on one of they I filed the lip down where it latches. Not sure if its going to work like I want lol. But I'm going to find out tomorrow at the range.

12. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 New Member

Conversion was already done? What did they convert? Nothing beyond removing the fixed mag shouldve been needed. You should be able to find a fixed 10 (or a 20) and put it in, solving the common problems of aftermarket detach mags. Some work, some dont. And minor fitting is required is with most any parts swap on SKSs, so many were made on different machines that drop in parts are rare.