Sks info

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by cjb762, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cjb762

cjb762 New Member

Live in Maryland and am interested in purchasing Russian sks. I don't know a lot about them. All the ones I've seen are priced in the 5 to $600 dollar range. Seems to be a little high but not sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

$250-$350 is more in line. Look for a Russian or Chinese if you can find one.

And make sure the chamber and bore are chrome plated.

3. cjb762

cjb762 New Member

Thanks for the info. Haven't seen one that cheap yet. Will keep looking though. Thanks

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Ya might take a look at
    www.gunbroker.com

and have it shipped to your local dealer.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

It may be due to your location. IIRC, doesn't Maryland have some restrictions on magazines over 10 rounds? If so, the SKS becomes a lot more attractive with it's internal mag & stripper clip reloads (in stock form).

I paid a bit more than i should have for my chinese SKS, $325 or $350. It was in a polymer montecarlo-style stock and was in really good condition with intact bayonet & matching numbers. I think duder threw in some surplus ammo (clean right after gettin home).

6. cjb762

cjb762 New Member

Do you set up an account with gunbroker kind if like eBay.

7. cjb762

cjb762 New Member

We do have mag restrictions here. Another great reason to live here.

8. blahX3

blahX3 New Member

Also GunsAmerica.
    I got an awesome Yugo there.

9. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Gunboker, gunaction, and gunsamerica. Yes, you need to register with each, since you would be bidding on merchandise there.

When bidding, and considering how much you want to bid, remember to calculate how much you will pay for shipping and for dealer's fees to recieve it. If you do not have a local gun shop that will receive it for you, both gunbroker and gunauction (formerly auction arms) have a "find a ffl" feature on their homes pages.

10. cjb762

cjb762 New Member

Definately will check it out. Thanks

11. cjb762

cjb762 New Member

I know Maryland has magazine limitations. Is there anything that has to be done to an sks to be MD compliant.

12. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Yeah, take it to Florida...:cool:

Fortunately, in the case of the SKS, there are 5-shot internal magazines available

which take only minutes to change, with full instructions and videos

on the internet-remove the trigger assembly-be sure the bolt is

either removed, or to the rear of the receiver,
    and pop out the old,

in with the new. Be aware that legal and hunting compliant may also

be two different sets of rules.

You'll have to google Md gun laws(maybe under this heading,.com).

As you probably already know, the courts charge YOU with being properly

compliant and aware of all local gun laws, regardless of how little LE

professionals know...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  13. cjb762

cjb762 New Member

That's why I'm asking. Was thinking about a one from another state that's online but it comes with thirty round mag. That just won't fly here. Thanks

14. mudpupp

mudpupp New Member

With that kind if sarcasm, I would love to know the other great reasons to live there? Lol

15. cjb762

cjb762 New Member

Well where to start, a very left leaning state legislature and governor. Both of which have no limits to which they will tax and spend. Both have indicated that they would love for maryland to be more like Cal. I have a family business that is based here for more than 25 yrs. It makes it hard to swallow some of the new rules taxes and regulations.

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm not really sure about how the MD restrictions work. I was told by a dude from MD that he could possess but not buy mags over ten rounds in capacity. IOW, he was of the opinion that he could buy some out-of-state and get in no trouble for using them in MD on his AR.
    Now, what is legal for hunting is a different matter.

17. cjb762

cjb762 New Member

I know we can't purchase high capacity mags here. I have them for my AR's they were purchased in PA. I just didn't know if the sks had to be modified not to accept them to comply in MD. Thanks

18. orangello

orangello New Member

From http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-5.pdf

I would make an offer on the SKS, but skip the 30 rounder. You could pick up a few 20's for less hassle, not to mention that there are 20 rounds in a box of cartridges.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Sounds like if you get the standard SKS with the

10 round internal mag, you'd be good to go.

Don't worry, the FFL you ship it to will help you

with details in advance. He's interested about

keeping his tit out of the wringer, too.

20. kjamesp92

kjamesp92 New Member

I also live in Maryland the mag restriction is actually 20 rounds you can't buy or posses any mag with capacity over 20 and as for the price on the Russian if your looking in the maryland area expect to pay 500-600 I just picked up a Chinese at a gun show in tamonium for 300 so if you want a cheaper price go with the norinco