Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember picking up multiple Sks from gun shows with my grand dad in the 90’s. Family members took multiple firearms and I got left with 2. I’m trying to figure out what I have!!! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

· Premium Member
7,334 Posts
That is a Chinese, made by Norinco, SKS rifle of 7.62x39 caliber. And from what I can see a pretty nice one. It will even have a Chrome lined bore as they all seem to have. At one time when I was collecting I had about 200 SKS from various countries. My favorite and most accurate is a Chinese one from their Arsenal 26. Looks to be yours is also.

Now, no SKS was made for shooting any tight groups at the range. A 4" group at 100 meters was fine for War.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ppl
That is a Chinese, made by Norinco, SKS rifle of 7.62x39 caliber. And from what I can see a pretty nice one. It will even have a Chrome lined bore as they all seem to have. At one time when I was collecting I had about 200 SKS from various countries. My favorite and most accurate is a Chinese one from their Arsenal 26. Looks to be yours is also.

Now, no SKS was made for shooting any tight groups at the range. A 4" group at 100 meters was fine for War.
[/QUOTE

I think you have and some others have a good idea of what I have and this Chinese version is not in the best condition doesn’t include the flip out bayonet…. But it is a well known maker of these rifles still sticky with packing crease but not pretty by any means!!!!

· Premium Member
10,640 Posts
Currently own three SKS rifles, a Russian one that came from Vietnam and two nice Chinese carbines. Attempted to sell one of the carbines at our neighborhood garage sale in May. Reduced the price to $425 for the carbine and 500 rounds of ammo-no takers.

There's a magazine loaded SKS behind the seat of my old truck 24/7.

· Registered
8,062 Posts
Yes the one with the laminated wood and bayonet is Russian, from Tula Arsenal. For a S country that made them, possibly Serbia. But the Swedes tended to stick to some pretty high quality firearms (not saying a Russian SKS doesn’t possess SOME quality, but not quite the same category as what the Swedes tended to opt for).

· Premium Member
7,334 Posts
I’m obviously mistaken I read something that had a S named country. Anyways Ty for the Tula Arsenal tip I got some more research to do.
Pretty nice Russian re-furbished carbine.
It’s not all matching numbers I just discovered this View attachment 260038
The light stamp above the 1953 marks it as a Refurbished rifle when it went back to a Refurb Arsenal in Russia some where along the line. Serial # Area - I seem to see a Z and an S stamped above the first two letters. The first
letters are Cyrillic Letters. Importers not allowed to use them as stamped. Had to add English letter equivalent.
The second letter looks to have been hit with a damaged stamp. Not a bit uncommon with the hand stamps. Seems to be what should look like a backwards C to us.
Rectangle Azure Font Slope Parallel

Sooo, I have to also read that as a ZS prefix. Now, IF, the last numbers on the top of the bolt carrier and the rear end of the 1953 receiver cover match the receiver number SN, then it is a 1953 Russian refurb.
If not, may have to see a few more pics.

That Laminated stock is a very late in production item. Never used on a 1953 original.. Only for refurb and storage after SKS was being turned in and replaced with AK47. However some 1955 rifles did have original laminated stocks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts