Sks gas tube

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by austin92, Mar 13, 2013.

1. austin92

austin92 New Member

Hey guys, I'm picking up a type 56 sks for cheap and the guy says it fires single shot so my first guess was to replace the gas tube and piston. Also looking for a set of go-no go gauges. If anyone has any of these things it would really help me out. Or maybe point me in the direction of where to buy a new gas tube and piston? I've looked online and all I can find is black tapco's for yugo's. Thanks for any input

2. TruggieTex

TruggieTex New Member

Perhaps the grenade launcher divert valve...?

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure that the type 56 doesn't have a grenade launcher if I'm correct in thinking it is the Chinese version.

Take a good look at it and see if the gas port is actually not corroded shut. Make sure the actual gas piston is present. Make sure the intermediate piston in the sight base is present and can move freely to strike the bolt carrier. Then check for other obstructions that prevent the bolt and carrier from moving properly. Aftermarket crap that doesn't fit properly like bad mags or action covers that drag.

eBay may have some stock parts or gun broker if you can't find the parts at online businesses.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yep. If you have the carbine with the grenade launcher, their weak spot is the gas shut off valve.

First, check that it is in the correct position. If it is, then fix is to replace the valve, not the gas tube and piston.

See here: http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm

5. austin92

austin92 New Member

It's a Chinese with no grenade launcher. Thanks for the input so far. You know of any place that sells an original or reproduction of the original handguard, piston, and gas tube? I'm gonna go up there today and check to see if the gas block is corroded shut. Might bring it home and get some pics for you guys. Thanks again

6. austin92

austin92 New Member

Got it home, Checked it over, cleaned, shot and cleaned again. Single shot.... Mic'd the tube and piston even though you can tell by eye and feel the tolerances are too loose. So, any tubes and pistons for sale? :)

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Austin- sorry, do not have a ready source for tubes/ pistons. If you would not mind a couple of suggestions?

First, have you checked the gas port into the barrel? If that gets blocked, limits gas that can make it to the piston. They DO make a port cleaning tool. Me- I use pipecleaners with a bend in them.

Second, there is a short rod that the piston strikes, that actually strikes the bolt carrier and moves it. If that is not free to move, will be single shot. A lot of folks never pull that, clean it and lube it (lightly). IIRC, the proper name for that is the piston extension. Found one rifle that was MISSING that bit. Single shot for sure. Turned out it had belonged to a guy from PA, where semi auto deer rifles are not legal.

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You need to use caution when replacing parts on an sks. They are not your typical firearm. The laws around the sks are, let's say, funky. You must have a certain number of American made parts or your gun is illegal. I'm sure with a quick search you can find the laws.

9. austin92

austin92 New Member

I have checked the gas port, stuck a little wire through it to ensure there was nothing there I had missed. The piston extension is in place, moves "freely" aside from the return spring, normal I'm guessing. I put a digital micrometer on the piston and inside the tube. Considerable difference, don't remember the exact number.

It is all original, I'm simply replacing a gas tube and piston, preferably with an original. If my sks isn't legal, well I live n the middle of no where and our activities aren't always exactly by the book ;) lol

10. austin92

austin92 New Member

2 of the piston extension, gas port, down the gas tube

Attached Files:

11. JWagner

JWagner New Member

For parts, try Sarco. They have 2 web sites and the one that works is called
    e-sarcoinc.com
    I recently ordered some parts for my SKS.

12. austin92

austin92 New Member

That's a good site, thanks man. For a temp fix I put a small tight fitting rubber o-ring around the grove in the piston. Keep it oiled, works flawlessly. Still want a new hand guard and piston though. Also want an original cleaning kit. My buttstock is empty, been looking at a new firing pin as well to prevent slam fires. This is addicting lol

13. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

I thought the stock SKS is legal but adding a detachable mag, folding stock or other mods is what causes the rule 922r requiring a number of American parts to be compliant?

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Yes Mongo. I believe you are correct. It becomes illegal when it is altered.

15. austin92

austin92 New Member

Not too worried about legality here. They tend not to bother us out here n the sticks

16. austin92

austin92 New Member

Whats the best way to put a red dot on one of these? Was kinda considering a railed hand guard since I need a gas tube anyways. I think I'd like it farther back though. Like on the bolt cover?

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Having a red dot mounted forward us not bad since you don't usually need to deal with parallax and magnification.

18. austin92

austin92 New Member

Do you have an sks with a forward mounted red dot? I'd like to see pics of how people are doing it