Sks firing pin problem

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by JayCody, Jan 1, 2014.

1. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I have cleaned my sks and as I was doing a function test I noticed the firing pin was not rattling. So I took it apart and found the pin that holds the firing pin in is ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1388620339.437585.jpg starting to rotate causing the firing pin to bind. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

2. Jesse80

Jesse80 New Member

Is it causing misfires, or it it just something you think might make it misfire?

3. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I haven't shot it yet because I'm afraid it will slamfire. If I push on the pin it will go back and forth but it takes some force.

4. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Fixing is possible but it's delicate work. I wouldn't do it. People have attempted to flatten the retaining pin "head" so it sits tight, with mixed results. Better just replace the retaining pin. It is possible that it mismatches the firing pin (not original) There are at least two variations of the SKS floating firing pin, not to mention the 1st generation spring loaded firing pin. I don't remember every detail, but the problem is totally endemic to the SKS rifles and is well known.

5. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Thanks for the help. I will replace the pin and see how it works.

6. RUT

RUT New Member Supporter

7. Kalash1138

Kalash1138 New Member

8. Chas1

Chas1 New Member

Just saw this post. I had a similar problem with my SKS. No rattle. I disassembled the bolt (easy to do) and removed the pin. I soaked everything in brake cleaner for an hour and then used an air compressor to blow dry everything.

The bolt is caked in cosmoline and even though I cleaned the cosmoline I didn't get the bolt good enough. It runs great now and no slam fires even slamming the bolt closed to chamber the 1st round.

The odd thing is that the accuracy feel off a little. I know SKS's aren't known for great accuracy but this one is (was) very accurate out to 120 yards. It's still good for an SKS but not as consistent as my AR's

Good Luck and very fun range rifles !!!

9. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

The OP said he had cleaned the rifle, but then found the retaining pin head to come loose and bind the firing pin. That's a problem different from yours.

I can't see how the accuracy can be impaired by a cleaner bolt. Not to dispute the fact, but the problem is likely outside the bolt carrier.

10. ICleanBrassWithJager

ICleanBrassWithJager New Member

I would think the pin is turned too much to allow the firing pin it's free-floating status. Can you take it out and hammer it back in for the right fit?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  11. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Yes, If the retaining pin is lined up perfectly the firing pin works fine. Now, My theory is that the force of the bolt being blown back and slamming forward caused the retaining pin to rotate as seen in the picture. when the retaining pin rotates the firing pin binds because of the misalignment of the retaining pin. I have yet to purchase a new retaining pin but I think that will solve the problem.

12. ICleanBrassWithJager

I'm not sure about that theory. My dad's had an SKS for 25 years, and I don't think he's ever had problems with it.
    My theory is that either the pin or the bolt is worn excessively, and won't retain it properly anymore. Have you tried removing it to get a proper diagnosis?

13. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I forgot to mention that my Pin appears to be damaged or something and i think that is whats catching on the firing pin when the retaining pin rotates. Im going to order a new one and see how it all works. The retaining pin comes out fine. so perhaps it is overly worn.

14. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Seriously. You didn't believe me did you? Okay :)

15. ICleanBrassWithJager

Hmm.. I'm gonna have to disagree with you both. I think you need a new firing pin retaining pin cross-flat bolt pin (listen to the other dude, good opinion)

16. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Yep, wrote it in post #4. The day was 1-1-14, and look we're almost there :D

17. JayCody

JayCody New Member

Once I get a new retaining pin I will post an update.

18. JayCody

JayCody New Member

I ordered a new retainer pin and am now waiting for it to arrive. Also, Does anyone know if it is normal for a sks Gas piston to stop in the gas tube about half way?

Thanks!

19. ICleanBrassWithJager

Try to put the piston in the other way around

20. nosaj

nosaj New Member

Yes its fine