SKS firing due to vibration??????

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Doubletap, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Doubletap

Doubletap New Member

A friend of mine just told me that MYTH BUSTERS did a show regarding SKS rifles firing, without being touched, due to vibration. The story goes.....
    A bunch of gang members had some SKS rifles loaded with rounds in the chamber and were playing really loud music and the rifles started firing on thier own. Supposedly MYTH BUSTER gathered a number of SKS's and 25% of them did indeed fire due to vibration alone. All of this having been said do any of you know of a fix for this problem???

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The vibrations caused by a car stereo system at full blast is enough to trigger a misfire in an SKS rifle.

busted

This myth originated from Russian gangs, who use an SKS rifle with a freesliding (as opposed to spring-activated) firing pin. Supposedly, any large vibrations, such as from a loud car stereo system, can cause the firing pin to trigger and fire off round after round at random. To test this, the Build Team “pimped their ride” with the most advanced sound system they could get, and placed several of the appropriate rifles in different areas in the car before subjecting them to several decibel and tone levels worth of sound. However, none of the guns went off. Even taking the guns for testing at a sound studio and getting a custom car specifically designed for sound system contests couldn’t produce a result.

Tell your friend to stop smoking the ganja. It is screwing up his memory. The above from the Mythbusters web site. Myth de-bunked.

They were able to set off an SKS from a nearby explosion. If you think you might survive the mortar going off 10 feet away from you and are afraid it may cause your SKS to spontaneously fire, go here:
    SKS Owners

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

They actually got the SK to fire using C4. I think the true issue w/ SKS rifles is cosmoline in the bolt. The slam fire in cold weather as the inertal pin does not return because of cosmoline. Seen this one many times.

4. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I actually watched this the other night. The firearms expert they had on explained that the early imports or early SKS's had a free float firing pin and the safety just kept the striker from firing but left the firing pin loose kind of like a Shotgun so if the weapon (oops) firearm was dropped or vibration might cause the firing pin to hit the primer. Myth busters busted it as was said. The firearms expert also said the free float firing pin was corrected on later SKS's.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

That is what is incorrect. Early sks rifles had a pin spring, in 1953 it was discarded and the inertal pin was used. Even the 1966 yugo has an inertal pin.

6. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

AAAAhhhhhh, I stand corrected :)

7. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

I do like an SKS. Mine have gone bang every time I've pulled the trigger, and never when I haven't. Good guns.

I like the AK's, too, but the SKS's are my favs.

8. Doubletap

Doubletap New Member

Thank you all for your input. I am glad to know that I need not be concerned.

9. gandog56

gandog56 New Member

Yep, go ahead and crank that stereo up!:D

10. Destroyer219

Destroyer219 New Member

I always thought the myth was true! Just make sense! But now I know the truth ! :)

11. Esteban

Esteban New Member

12. Oohrah

Oohrah New Member

I own a Norinco and an imported Russian, and neither have fired on their own or slam fired !:confused:

13. janikphoto

janikphoto New Member

Have you ever just thought about not chambering a round until you are ready to fire?!?
    ;)

14. willie47

willie47 New Member

I too like SKS's! They're made out of machined or cast parts as opposed to stamped sheet metal. They may be a little heavier than AK's, but they shoot extremely well.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

The idea of cosmoline causing a slam fire does make sense to me. I have an 8mm mauser that had supposedly been cleaned up by the previous owner. I had a heck of a time getting it out of all the nooks and cranies. That stuff will stick anything in place. I could believe that it could lock a firing pin in place in a bolt.

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

AWWWWW The SKS got a little TV time. That's nice. You don't get to see it all that much because of the HUGE shadow of the AK. I'm another fan of the old rifle. I got the Norinco too, it's pretty dang nice shooter. I'm looking at a couple more a friend has. Maybe I"ll get another of the old friends.

17. mag_01

mag_01 New Member

The SKS definetly A good rifle as it is well made an simple --- I feed mine lead boolits at around 2000 fps. with good accuracy --- also have done extensive trigger work on it making it A pleasure to shoot.