SKS 7.62x39

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by jamests1975, Mar 2, 2010.

1. jamests1975

jamests1975 New Member

I have a Norenco SKS,it has a basic black folding stock and im thinking about adding a scope,Tapco T6 stock and vertical grip.Has anyone here done this?

2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I put a Tapco stock on my Norinco SKS. I have sent back and forth with optics. All in all I like how the changes feel of the weapon now. There's a pic of it on the picture thread here (lower picture).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010

3. orangello

orangello New Member

My SKS has the T6 stock. I like it well enough, but i kept the monte carlo it came in as well. Scope-wise, the problem is where/how to mount it. I didn't like either of the receiver cover mounts i bought. I plan to add a side rail scope mount from Kalinka, at some point.

4. jamests1975

jamests1975 New Member

I ordered one today,that looks great and like a blast to shoot.Did you have any problems replacing it or was it simply a drop in? Thanks for the reply!

5. jamests1975

jamests1975 New Member

Thanks for the reply,I did buy a cover with tactical rail pre attached for the scope,and I ordered the stock set today.Did you have any problems with installation or was it a simply drop in?

6. orangello

orangello New Member

I didn't have any difficulty with the stock swap other than a tiny bit of tightness in the fit of the spike bayonet. It was a simple drop-in installation; iirc, you remove the magazine, then the trigger group, then swap everything to the new stock.

7. jamests1975

jamests1975 New Member

Thanks orangello,I was hoping it would be that simple.It should be here friday so im looking forward to getting it installed,

8. bo08

bo08 New Member

red dot

I recently modernized my sks and I was planning on adding a tru glo 30mm red dot. My mount is receiver cover with picatinny rail. Will it be a waste of time or will I be able to keep a decent zero?

9. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I have the Kalinka POSP scope on my SKS and its the ONLY way to mount a scope on a SKS......

10. wmille01

wmille01 New Member

it really depends what your going to do with it, if you want to have a really tight group ^^^^ go with what he said. If your looking at deer hunting and just want to hit it with the vitals at 50-100 yards you can mount it to the receiver.

11. bo08

bo08 New Member

im not trying to turn it into a sniper rifle i just want to have vital shots about 100 yards or a little further away. I was just curious to see if i would have decent groupings, thanks guys

12. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 New Member

Working with a variety of mounts and scopes, my experience is it makes little difference if you are using Wolf or milsurp ammo - the groups stay large.

The AMMO - that's where your greatest gains in accuracy will come from. Use good commercial or handloaded ammo.

Make sure the barreled action is tight in the stock too - the issued configuration allows too much vertical wobble. I use a bit of filler - cork or plastic - in the barrel channel. Some synthetic stocks don't have the recoil lug either - in time the action will begin to wobble as it 'wallows' out the inletting. So, a new stock is a good basis, but it does require more work for true performance.